Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob or not ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe a jogger going for his weekly workout.
That's also the biggest issue with the phone key atm. It's easy to forget you left it in the wireless charging cradle, the car should give you a gentle chime or reminder if you've opened the door with the phone still charging inside...

As I mentioned in another post, it would also be completely possible today to emulate the keycard and add it as an NFC card on your Apple Watch wallet. But that requires just a couple hours of dev from Tesla... which they apparently aren't wiling to do just yet...
Tell me about it…Elon and Tim collaborating! A no no!!!

I don't normally take my phone when I am out for a run. Key in my back pocket. I wish my Garmin could act as an NFC key, although key in back pocket adds no weight/bulk.
You meant key fob??? Or your house keys??

I just wanted to make it clear as my sentence is slightly misleading as there is an implied assumption that this is when you are in the car or with the car. I assumed Tesla driver conveyed that implicit assumption, my mistake! Didn’t know people identify themselves as Tesla driver even when they are running :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Js1977
Unless you buy the Apple Watch that includes cellular and a compatible plan from EE, O2 or Voda then it's still dependent on your phone, so not really a backup. It's cheaper to buy the regular watch and the keyfob!
It also works over wifi if you dont have cellular. Albeit its also cheaper and greener to take a bus, not have a car, have a cheaper car....you get my gist.

Reactions: spdpsba
I don't normally take my phone when I am out for a run. Key in my back pocket. I wish my Garmin could act as an NFC key, although key in back pocket adds no weight/bulk.
Thats ok albeit not very wise not takin you mobile with you these days I must say. You would normally jog in the vicinity of your house and get back and take a shower (if you haven't lost your keys that is)

Maybe a jogger going for his weekly workout.
That's also the biggest issue with the phone key atm. It's easy to forget you left it in the wireless charging cradle, the car should give you a gentle chime or reminder if you've opened the door with the phone still charging inside...

As I mentioned in another post, it would also be completely possible today to emulate the keycard and add it as an NFC card on your Apple Watch wallet. But that requires just a couple hours of dev from Tesla... which they apparently aren't wiling to do just yet...
You really have to be very close to the car for it to unlock with the phone so no chance of the cradle scenario. Also apple and tesla have their own versions of phone car key. Its a bit of a clash and to be fair apple does have the upper hand with nfc as well as bluetooth but in reality that is only feasible if only the bluetooth on your phone breaks down as a backup which is unlikely.

It also works over wifi if you dont have cellular. Albeit its also cheaper and greener to take a bus, not have a car, have a cheaper car....you get my gist.
Not likely to help in a car park when you've lost/broken/had your phone stolen, you can't even easily join a wifi network if you need to sign in through a captive portal like many retail or restaurant networks.

I have an Apple Watch, it's just really not a viable backup for the phone key like a keycard or a keyfob.

I don't understand your gist.

You really have to be very close to the car for it to unlock with the phone so no chance of the cradle scenario. Also apple and tesla have their own versions of phone car key. Its a bit of a clash and to be fair apple does have the upper hand with nfc as well as bluetooth but in reality that is only feasible if only the bluetooth on your phone breaks down as a backup which is unlikely.
Apple also uses UWB as part of their car key solution to eliminate scenarios where you leave your phone or watch in the car, which eliminates most Android and even many iPhones from the service.

I meant using the watch instead of fob not replacing carrying mobile. I am yet to see a Tesla driver going around without their phone irrespective of whether they use it to open the car or not!
I use a keyfob as a backup incase my phone is broken/lost/stolen, some people use a keycard but I don't carry a wallet. I do have an Apple Watch, it doesn't help meet the backup requirement.

Also, having both a watch, phone and a keyfob, I never use the watch to do things like opening the chargeport or the frunk, I find it far easier to press a button on the fob in my pocket

Yes. Apple CarKey uses UWB meaning new antennas in the car would be required.

I was referring just to the NFC keycard emulation. Apple has opened their CoreNFC API and Wallet so technically Tesla could apply and have a card in Wallet able to unlock the car. And it would work with power reserve if the phone battery dies. I believe it would be really helpful.

I was referring just to the NFC keycard emulation. Apple has opened their CoreNFC API and Wallet so technically Tesla could apply and have a card in Wallet able to unlock the car. And it would work with power reserve if the phone battery dies. I believe it would be really helpful.
Doesn't Apple require an app to add the key to the wallet? Tesla's NFC key management is all in the car, I think there would be far more security design required to create a nfc key than you imagine, and the only benefit would be for iPhone users with flat batteries.

Doesn't Apple require an app to add the key to the wallet? Tesla's NFC key management is all in the car, I think there would be far more security design required to create a nfc key than you imagine, and the only benefit would be for iPhone users with flat batteries.
Well I take it you have the Tesla App already!
It’s just about generating an encrypted key on the DH-256 elliptic curve on the phone and then ‘pairing’ it with the car just like you would if you had bought a new set of keycards.

Not likely to help in a car park when you've lost/broken/had your phone stolen, you can't even easily join a wifi network if you need to sign in through a captive portal like many retail or restaurant networks.

I have an Apple Watch, it's just really not a viable backup for the phone key like a keycard or a keyfob.

I don't understand your gist
You ever flagged down someone for help?... you can just as a good samaritan to link to their hotspot. All hypothetical but the odds are better than them having some jump leads in the boot?

Thats ok albeit not very wise not takin you mobile with you these days I must say. You would normally jog in the vicinity of your house and get back and take a shower (if you haven't lost your keys that is)
Nope. Often drive to runs and don’t bother with phone as Garmin captures everything and I will get back to car knowing that phone hasn’t been nicked.

So I might not be a Tesla driver whilst running but I certainly drove to and from the run.

Ok. I now know where someone else got the uwb from :) ..... Im not dicing what you are saying but you do realise what gen btooth we are on now right? ... I will throw dice and say its less power than to invoke/transmit the nfc signal?... and again, you would only use it if the btooth failed with is unlikely unless you want to go down the road of considering all options...

You ever flagged down someone for help?... you can just as a good samaritan to link to their hotspot. All hypothetical but the odds are better than them having some jump leads in the boot?
C'mon, starting to be an extraordinary stretch. So you ask your Samaritan to stay there while you fiddle to enter their wifi password into your watch, while also hoping that the car has signal as this all relies on a data connection. Doesn't seem to be a very robust plan.

Nope. Often drive to runs and don’t bother with phone as Garmin captures everything and I will get back to car knowing that phone hasn’t been nicked.

So I might not be a Tesla driver whilst running but I certainly drove to and from the run.
I dread to think what your car smells like... but i digress... Please do take you phone in case you fall, have a cardiac arrest etc, etc.. or even think of others that might be in such position and more...... Including your loved ones! (if you have any)