Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob To The Rescue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it should be free for those of us who are having issues (and have already contacted tesla and spent hours upon hours upon days upon weeks trying to resolve it without success) with the phone key.

also, this "some people must have a less modern phone" bullsh** needs to stop. my phone is less than a year and a half old and is running the latest version of android. if a less than 1.5 year old phone with the latest version of android doesn't work 100% of the time, they shouldn't have used phone key as the primary method of entering the car...period.

it should be free for those of us who are having issues (and have already contacted tesla and spent hours upon hours upon days upon weeks trying to resolve it without success) with the phone key.

also, this "some people must have a less modern phone" bullsh** needs to stop. my phone is less than a year and a half old and is running the latest version of android. if a less than 1.5 year old phone with the latest version of android doesn't work 100% of the time, they shouldn't have used phone key as the primary method of entering the car...period.
It's likely no phone will ever work 100% of the time. Even if it seems to now. Therein lies the rub. The key variable is not which phone you carry, or what software is loaded onto it, or which pocket you carry it in. It's your willingness to accept uncertainty. Some people are fine with not knowing if their Model 3 will wake up, open, and be ready to operate when they expect it to. Just as some people are perfectly OK with dropped calls and epically lousy audio quality. Their expectations have been dialed down to match the technology. They've made peace with some inferior things in exchange for the positives and the convenience factors.
In the same way, if you expect your car "key" to simply work, every time, in any conditions, without having to devote a moment to wonder, "will it open this time?" the current phone-as-key setup will be disappointing, frustrating, and occasionally embarassing. If you are OK with uncertainty in exchange for driving (when it lets you) a beautiful EV with no-compromise range and terrific performance, you won't care.
Or, like me, you'll wait for a fob.
Robin

I, for one, am glad to get away from fobs that cost hundreds of dollars + programming fees.

Fobs are not hundreds of dollars because they contain hundreds of dollars of magic electronics and require hours of a gray beard's time to program. They cost that much for security reasons (to avoid making it too easy for a perp to buy tons of them to use to hack in to vehicles) and because car makers can get away with it. All told, the assembled cost of a fob is probably less than $10.

That's not to say that Tesla wouldn't play the same game (even if for security reasons) and charge a small fortune for one, but in the case of an initial fob or two that came with the car, or a one time issuance of fobs to verified owners, it should be an expensive part. The expense is that yes, they will have to ship these individually. The programming, though, should be no more difficult that authenticating your phone.

• Informative
Reactions: JES2 and dhanson865
I should not have to pay anything for my fob. I've gone through 4+ months of aggravation from Tesla's stupid Phone-as-a-key idea constantly FAILING, which I never wanted in the first place. And they think I should pay for a fob to fix their dumb fail of an idea? No. Free for me.

And don't leave out how they already forced you to buy the car. Maybe they can throw in the fob for free when you give them $4k for EAP.

• Funny
Reactions: mhan00
I've had my P3+ for 10 days and love just about everything about it. My Google Pixel that I've had for 16 months is up to date, bone stock, and reset less than three weeks ago. It should work, but does only about 60% of the time. It's the only source of frustration for me.

If a fob arrives I'll gladly pay $200 or $300 for one or likely two. I'd rather the phone work but knew that it was likely going to be a problem.

I likely wouldn't cut a traditional manufacturer any slack, but Tesla is doing some major transformation stuff and they'll get some things wrong in the process.

As a comparison my two year old Porsche has a major gaffe in the programming of the PCM, makes me want to scream every time I get in the car. Will they ever correct it with one or two lines of updated code, even if I drive the car to a dealer? No.

Just my two cents as I wait patiently for a solution from Tesla.

Reactions: AlanJ
Picking nits: the keycard is the reliable method of entering and driving the car. It isn’t convenient though...

...and yet they don't refer to it as the primary method of entering and driving the car. they still have videos and support data on the web that tell you to use the phone. that's my point.

i've said from the beginning that if the key card was listed as the primary method of entering the car and the phone key was listed as in development, i wouldn't be pissed...it'd suck, but i would use the key card and wait with the understanding they were still working bugs out of the phone key.

however, that's not the case. even now, when clearly so many people are having issues, they STILL say the phone key is the primary way of entering and driving the car. THAT'S why those of us who are having issues are pissed off, and that's why the fob should be free for anyone who has already wasted so much time on trying to fix this and get it to work.

Last edited: