Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kicked out of the FSD Beta! (Long Post)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, apologies for the long post, but I feel like my M3 investment deserves this airing! I’m not a super-frequent visitor here, but have read many threads over the 2.5 years I’ve had my beloved Dual Motor Model 3. I’m posting today to explain how I was unceremoniously booted from the FSD beta program last week. But before I get into that, a little background.

First and foremost: I love my M3. It has changed my life. I previously had a Subaru Forrester. I’m a consultant and drive about 1-2 hours per day, going to various client sites. For a couple years leading up to the M3 purchase, my body, and particularly my back, would be *hurting* after longer drives in the Forrester. I was honestly asking myself how I was going to keep going with my career, with the aches and pains that driving was causing me. Then I looked into a Model 3. And the rest is history.

I use autopilot 90% of the time I’m in the car. Always paying attention, of course, but able to rest my body. No feet pressing the pedals. No hands clutching the wheel. It’s astounding what a toll that takes on the (50-year-old) body, day in and day out. I can drive 2 hours in the M3 and not feel like I was in the car at all. That's life changing!

Now, first of all, I’m no Elon/Tesla complainer/hater. I love the car so much, tech warts and all. Auto-wipers suck—don’t care. Road noise is significant—don’t care. Unresolved trim issues at purchase—don’t care. The car is just amazing. Best purchase I have ever made, without question. Second: I pay attention when I drive, and know how the Model 3 works. I have logged about 45,000 miles on autopilot. I know how to pay attention, and I know when and how to prove that to the M3.

Now for the sad part. The FSD beta was simply yanked from my car last week, with no email notice, and little to no in-car warning. If something was presented on the screen, it was small, looked like any other message, and, ironically, it must have been showing when I was driving and paying attention to the road!

I got the FSD beta a few weeks ago after a painstaking 30 days of getting a 99 safety score, despite driving in really difficult areas of Boston and the suburbs. All sorts of people hard breaking in front of me, cutting me off, etc. But I was careful, as I always am, and maintained a 99 for a month which was no small feat. I got the FSD beta and was really psyched. Unlike some of you, I didn’t read a ton about it ahead of time. No time for that with 3 younger kids and a demanding job, all seriously affected by the pandemic. So I didn’t fully understand many things about FSD except for the fact that 1) I paid many thousands of dollars for it. 2) I’ve waited two and a half years for it. And 3) it doesn’t work very well so you have to be very careful.

I used FSD the day it downloaded and was struck by how bad it was on city streets. I was really surprised. It was exciting to see it trying to do things it couldn't do before, but I stopped using it. I pretty much only double-tap the gear stalk on major roads, and after that first bad experience, didn’t try it again for a week or so on city streets. The next time I tried it, in hindsight, I noticed extensive nags about paying attention. I was confused because I *was* paying attention. But I guess I did change audio sources, change A/C temps., etc. This is par for the course with standard AP and I never had an issue.

Then last week, I was on a back road. No one around me. I was changing the radio stations during a morning commute and then I had to change my navigation destination. I simply clicked on navigation and switched destinations to one of my preset favorites. AP freaked out and disengaged. And then I saw the message. I was booted from the beta.

Kicked-Out.jpeg

Then ensued tons of reading. I discovered that I was doing it wrong. I should have turned off FSD during my normal commutes and ONLY used it when I wanted to “test” it and pay 100% full attention to the road without even changing the radio station. But I didn’t know. And now after 2.5 years, thousands of dollars, 45,000 miles of safe AP driving, and 30 days of excruciatingly safe Safety-Score driving, I’ve lost what I only had for a few drives, and may never get it back. Man, that SUCKS!

Now a couple of questions for those of you more in the know than me.

1) Does anyone know if I will get FSD beta access back? When?
2) If I email Tesla and officially back out of the beta, will I get my old less-nagging AP back?
3) Can I then re-apply for the beta and go through another safety score test and get FSD back?

So frustrating not knowing the answers to these questions. Of course I called Tesla and the guy on the phone was useless. I do have service scheduled next week and will ask, but I’m pretty sure they won’t know anything either.

For those of you with FSD beta access right now, be careful, and learn from my mistakes!

My personal assessment is that this is more a software issue. Unlike phones that sent updates to all in one wave Tesla cars are unique. Each can produce new previously unknown bug that’s specific to a series of cars or updates. I am no software guy but do think the vehicles programs talk back with the central controls particularly if there are issues. So if a bug is spotted it may warrant temporary suspension of some functions (in this case FSD) till the bug can be corrected via next software update. So it’s an evolving and highly interactive process and something which we have t experienced before in our iPhones or computers. Anyways I wouldn’t be super upset at loss of your FSD as it’s only a precautionary measure which will correct during next update. Thanks for sharing and keep updating if possible! Cheers

Reactions: SR-75
So a quick update on this. I have been stuck at 10.5 since this happened. I have sent about 5 emails to [email protected] and spoken with the service center several times. No one responds to the email and the service center is far less informed than I am on this issue, or they are playing dumb. It numbingly frustrating. My biggest fear is that I'm in some purgatory that will leave me without any further updates for a very long time. I don't seen to have a way of opting out as my emails all go unanswered and there is no way to do it form the car or the app (at least as far as I can see.). What a mess! Here's to hoping I get 10.8, and my FSD beta access is restored!

hard to say what the situation is, given there are lots of people on 10.5 who haven't been suspended and haven't gotten a new version of FSD.

... I should have turned off FSD during my normal commutes and ONLY used it when I wanted to “test” it and pay 100% full attention to the road...For those of you with FSD beta access right now, be careful, and learn from my mistakes!

No, you're not doing it wrong. I have FSD beta enabled all the time and I do all of my driving using it. I pay no more and no less attention to the road than I do while driving normally...

Yes, that's right; I agree with the second quote. I drive around (on local small town streets) with FSD Beta always "on" in the Autopilot center display screen (the advanced graphics are therefore visible on the driver's side display) but I only occasionally activate it (using the small left-hand stalk on the Model X steering column when I feel it is safe (no traffic) and I am curious whether it has improved for surface streets (it hasn't) or when I'm occasionally on limited-access, high-speed roads (freeways), where it behaves more like the original (advanced cruise control) Autopilot with basic FSD features (e.g., robotic lane changing and braking) which is actually safe and helpful and which I like.

So, again, I keep FSD Beta "on" all the time (it automatically shuts off during rainy periods). In my car the FSD Beta slider (as in your photo) is always "on" and the FSD Beta Profile slider is always set to "Average." And while it is on but not activated, I drive normally--I do not have to "pay 100% attention to the road" (we should do that anyway, but I know what you mean), at least as much as I do when I activate FSD Beta (and it tries to kill me by turning into parked cars and other obstructions or suddenly slamming on the brakes for no reason). And I have not been kicked out of the Program yet. (Knock on the "wooden" dash inserts.)

But I agree with you, OP, first that FSD Beta is dangerous and scary on surface streets. Usually when I test it, I also use Navigate (to some well-known destination in town) so the car should drive itself (but of course I always keep both hands on the wheel--you have to to survive). However, it invariably shuts off within seconds at roundabouts, most intersections, pedestrian crossings, scary squirrels, neighborhood children, etc. (Just kidding about the squirrels and children.)

As I've said elsewhere, I (cautiously) enjoy trying FSD Beta, am glad I am in the program, and was willing to contribute $10,000 to Tesla's totally experimental development program (working towards true FSD at some future time). I'd like there to be real (State 5) FSD in my lifetime. But it is a BIG job to make that happen. I also applaud Tesla for its efforts. I cannot really comprehend the work that must be involved to manage and implement this program. Think about it this way: automakers are trying to duplicate the human brain, at least insofar as being able to drive a car. Which is an incredibly difficult feat, when you think about it. Out little money brains are amazing. We can handle multiple sources of incoming, complex data and we usually survive. Incredible.

Meanwhile, I do not trust FSD Beta one iota, and it is definitely not-ready-for-prime-time. The Tesla warning language is not exaggerated.

Back to you (finally), I agree with GlmnAlyAirCar. I don't see where you were doing anything wrong. Of course, we do not know what was really happening. And unfortunately, Tesla is not telling. (Just like it didn't explain are damned scores during the pre-FSD Beta test period. I guess there was lots of "fine print" to read which I missed.)

So just hang in there and hopefully you will get straightened out in time (with new upgrades). Plenty of people have voluntarily left the FSD Beta program in order to enjoy new Production Build features. Just saying... Enjoy your great Model 3. Happy holidays.

Reactions: Moonlight and SR-75
....I had to change my navigation destination...

Just thought of this. Is using the Navigation feature somehow verboten while driving? I almost always look up a destination and set it while parked. (Maybe I've selected home, which is quick, once or twice while driving, but hardly ever. I normally pull over.) Also, does your car have an inside camera that monitors where the driver is looking? (Can't remember if that is a thing yet.) Those actions are all I can think of that might have upset the great and powerful Oz (i.e., Tesla).

Just thought of this. Is using the Navigation feature somehow verboten while driving? I almost always look up a destination and set it while parked. (Maybe I've selected home, which is quick, once or twice while driving, but hardly ever. I normally pull over.) Also, does your car have an inside camera that monitors where the driver is looking? (Can't remember if that is a thing yet.) Those actions are all I can think of that might have upset the great and powerful Oz (i.e., Tesla).

The dings that affect FSD beta suspension only occur when you've already activated FSD beta. Like you, I typically set my nav before I start driving. But there have been times I've set nav while driving as well. As long as FSD beta is not engaged, you won't get dings or nags from the cabin camera. So set nav, then engage FSD beta.

That said, I've never been dinged for fiddling with the screen while FSD beta is engaged. I must be glancing ahead enough while fiddling that the "distracted duration" remains under whatever threshold exists.

• Informative
Reactions: K5TRX and tps5352
Hi everyone, apologies for the long post, but I feel like my M3 investment deserves this airing! I’m not a super-frequent visitor here, but have read many threads over the 2.5 years I’ve had my beloved Dual Motor Model 3. I’m posting today to explain how I was unceremoniously booted from the FSD beta program last week. But before I get into that, a little background.

First and foremost: I love my M3. It has changed my life. I previously had a Subaru Forrester. I’m a consultant and drive about 1-2 hours per day, going to various client sites. For a couple years leading up to the M3 purchase, my body, and particularly my back, would be *hurting* after longer drives in the Forrester. I was honestly asking myself how I was going to keep going with my career, with the aches and pains that driving was causing me. Then I looked into a Model 3. And the rest is history.

I use autopilot 90% of the time I’m in the car. Always paying attention, of course, but able to rest my body. No feet pressing the pedals. No hands clutching the wheel. It’s astounding what a toll that takes on the (50-year-old) body, day in and day out. I can drive 2 hours in the M3 and not feel like I was in the car at all. That's life changing!

Now, first of all, I’m no Elon/Tesla complainer/hater. I love the car so much, tech warts and all. Auto-wipers suck—don’t care. Road noise is significant—don’t care. Unresolved trim issues at purchase—don’t care. The car is just amazing. Best purchase I have ever made, without question. Second: I pay attention when I drive, and know how the Model 3 works. I have logged about 45,000 miles on autopilot. I know how to pay attention, and I know when and how to prove that to the M3.

Now for the sad part. The FSD beta was simply yanked from my car last week, with no email notice, and little to no in-car warning. If something was presented on the screen, it was small, looked like any other message, and, ironically, it must have been showing when I was driving and paying attention to the road!

I got the FSD beta a few weeks ago after a painstaking 30 days of getting a 99 safety score, despite driving in really difficult areas of Boston and the suburbs. All sorts of people hard breaking in front of me, cutting me off, etc. But I was careful, as I always am, and maintained a 99 for a month which was no small feat. I got the FSD beta and was really psyched. Unlike some of you, I didn’t read a ton about it ahead of time. No time for that with 3 younger kids and a demanding job, all seriously affected by the pandemic. So I didn’t fully understand many things about FSD except for the fact that 1) I paid many thousands of dollars for it. 2) I’ve waited two and a half years for it. And 3) it doesn’t work very well so you have to be very careful.

I used FSD the day it downloaded and was struck by how bad it was on city streets. I was really surprised. It was exciting to see it trying to do things it couldn't do before, but I stopped using it. I pretty much only double-tap the gear stalk on major roads, and after that first bad experience, didn’t try it again for a week or so on city streets. The next time I tried it, in hindsight, I noticed extensive nags about paying attention. I was confused because I *was* paying attention. But I guess I did change audio sources, change A/C temps., etc. This is par for the course with standard AP and I never had an issue.

Then last week, I was on a back road. No one around me. I was changing the radio stations during a morning commute and then I had to change my navigation destination. I simply clicked on navigation and switched destinations to one of my preset favorites. AP freaked out and disengaged. And then I saw the message. I was booted from the beta.

View attachment 741416

Then ensued tons of reading. I discovered that I was doing it wrong. I should have turned off FSD during my normal commutes and ONLY used it when I wanted to “test” it and pay 100% full attention to the road without even changing the radio station. But I didn’t know. And now after 2.5 years, thousands of dollars, 45,000 miles of safe AP driving, and 30 days of excruciatingly safe Safety-Score driving, I’ve lost what I only had for a few drives, and may never get it back. Man, that SUCKS!

2) If I email Tesla and officially back out of the beta, will I get my old less-nagging AP back?
3) Can I then re-apply for the beta and go through another safety score test and get FSD back?

So frustrating not knowing the answers to these questions. Of course I called Tesla and the guy on the phone was useless. I do have service scheduled next week and will ask, but I’m pretty sure they won’t know anything either.

For those of you with FSD beta access right now, be careful, and learn from my mistakes!
I have the same issue one day after the update. And it’s been over a month I’m still waiting. I have not received 10.6 or 10.7

View attachment 741416

same situation as you. Did you get any updates?

No update today. Sooooooo bummed.

Do we need to email or service center?

See my Post # 1 discussion here: Trying to Make Sense.... I am an FSD Beta tester, have software version 2021.36.8.10, FSD Beta v.10.6.1, and am waiting excitedly for 2021.44.25.6 (v10.8). Like most of us, I want (some of) those features that non-FSD Beta cars have been enjoying.

However, nothing yet--the roll-out is slow. Plus a check of Teslafi and Teslascope seems to suggest that Model X (with FSD Beta) is being (gasp!) passed over, at least for the moment. Nothing to do but wait. It may take days for me to be invited to upload this version, or it may not happen at all (and I may eventually get a subsequent version). Just have to wait (and do something else to take my mind off of it). (Like watch Hawkeye, or Wheel of Time, or Yellowstone. My friends without Tesla cars do not understand and have little sympathy.)

Just got the FSD beta via the 44.25.6 update. Holly *sugar* this is nowhere near remotely close to full autonomy!! The way it jerks the steering back and forth taking some turns and really needs plenty of interventions to avoid driving errors. After having used it for a few days now I think we are still far away. I do love my MYLR without the FSD-beta. I like the autopilot and lane change features on highways. Makes driving practically completely stress free particularly at nights!!! But the city drive with FDD beta is just not something I feel can improve beyond a point with the current system and camera based navigation. Have paid the $10K so will be really happy if AI picks up and improves a lot!! Overall at this point I wouldn’t be missing FSDb even if kicked out

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Just got the FSD beta via the 44.25.6 update. Holly *sugar* this is nowhere near remotely close to full autonomy!! The way it jerks the steering back and forth taking some turns and really needs plenty of interventions to avoid driving errors. After having used it for a few days now I think we are still far away. I do love my MYLR without the FSD-beta. I like the autopilot and lane change features on highways. Makes driving practically completely stress free particularly at nights!!! But the city drive with FDD beta is just not something I feel can improve beyond a point with the current system and camera based navigation. Have paid the $10K so will be really happy if AI picks up and improves a lot!! Overall at this point I wouldn’t be missing FSDb even if kicked out
So you expected it to be useful at this point? It’s not even yet complete, much less fully tuned for everyday driving.

Reactions: Ciaopec and bhzmark
It's always funny to me when people have this reaction. It's like people are totally unaware of the capabilities of FSD Beta before they try it themselves.
I wasn’t reacting to my immediate experience but projecting into the future. It’s a long way to get to full autonomy on US roads. The current camera-based systems that your and my teslas come with may not even get us there unless there is an external very accurate navigation system sort of feeding precise details also. I certainly wasn’t expecting to let the car drive me around lol 😂 But I just personally experienced the serious inadequacies that prevent full autonomy with current hardware and software. I also did point out the highway driving is blissfully peaceful and stress free. I also enjoy the lane change feature.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
No update today. Sooooooo bummed.
When you pay for FSD, you pay for the privilege to be considered for a customer-funded Tesla test fleet, in which you pay for the equipment, maintenance, and take all responsibility for anything that might go wrong. However, you crashing would create bad publicity for Tesla, so they decided to use AI to quantify the chances of you getting into an accident. The algorithm didn't say that you are not safe, or that you will have an accident for sure, simply that you are more likely to be in an accident than the majority of the people who paid to test FSD, hence your participation is no longer wanted. Maybe, according to the algorithm, you are just 1% more likely to be in an accident than the rest of the people, that's enough for Tesla to play it safe and exclude you. If Tesla FSD software running on your hardware ever gets out of Beta, you will get it (if your car is still in top shape to handle self driving and you still own it of course), until then I'm sure Tesla appreciates your support.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Ciaopec
When you pay for FSD, you pay for the privilege to be considered for a customer-funded Tesla test fleet, in which you pay for the equipment, maintenance, and take all responsibility for anything that might go wrong. However, you crashing would create bad publicity for Tesla, so they decided to use AI to quantify the chances of you getting into an accident. The algorithm didn't say that you are not safe, or that you will have an accident for sure, simply that you are more likely to be in an accident than the majority of the people who paid to test FSD, hence your participation is no longer wanted. Maybe, according to the algorithm, you are just 1% more likely to be in an accident than the rest of the people, that's enough for Tesla to play it safe and exclude you. If Tesla FSD software running on your hardware ever gets out of Beta, you will get it (if your car is still in top shape to handle self driving and you still own it of course), until then I'm sure Tesla appreciates your support.
Let’s be honest about this. We don’t know the statistics but probably hundreds of thousands of us paid $10K. NOT ONE would have paid if it was mentioned that it is a “customer funded experimental project”. What it said was “COMING SOON - AUTO STEER ON CITY STREETS”. And on top of that the CEO himself advertises that it will be a reality very very soon!!! Not that it is facing issues and may need lots of experimentation so those investing the $10K are WILLINGLY FUNDING teslas FSD development process”!! I do feel it is a lawsuit waiting to happen. There is some lack of clarity to say the least when they charge that $10K. The question really is WILL TESLA DELIVER on the auto steer in city streets in a legally compliant manner? If so how soon? Now don’t bash me for saying this as they are many who have sworn to never question and condemn anyone that even questions. I am 100% committed to my Tesla buy and recommend everyone who can afford to get one for SAFETY and also PEACEFUL DRIVING EXPERIENCE. All I am saying is that the business approach to selling the FSD needs to be very clear as to what folks are buying into. What if Tesla cannot perfect the autosteer on city? Will the lane change feature be it for the $10K? I would say that should be worth $2.5K similar to the acceleration boost? If you also see MANY AWARE BUYERS NOW are clearly steering away fro paying the $10K. Why? Only because now feedback from early adopters have filtered back indicating that it’s basically what you posted “a deceptive consumer funded development strategy without a definitive or deliverable endpoint”!!! That’s a bad approach. Be clear when you ask the $10K. That’s all I am saying