Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kicked out of the FSD Beta! (Long Post)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, apologies for the long post, but I feel like my M3 investment deserves this airing! I’m not a super-frequent visitor here, but have read many threads over the 2.5 years I’ve had my beloved Dual Motor Model 3. I’m posting today to explain how I was unceremoniously booted from the FSD beta program last week. But before I get into that, a little background.

First and foremost: I love my M3. It has changed my life. I previously had a Subaru Forrester. I’m a consultant and drive about 1-2 hours per day, going to various client sites. For a couple years leading up to the M3 purchase, my body, and particularly my back, would be *hurting* after longer drives in the Forrester. I was honestly asking myself how I was going to keep going with my career, with the aches and pains that driving was causing me. Then I looked into a Model 3. And the rest is history.

I use autopilot 90% of the time I’m in the car. Always paying attention, of course, but able to rest my body. No feet pressing the pedals. No hands clutching the wheel. It’s astounding what a toll that takes on the (50-year-old) body, day in and day out. I can drive 2 hours in the M3 and not feel like I was in the car at all. That's life changing!

Now, first of all, I’m no Elon/Tesla complainer/hater. I love the car so much, tech warts and all. Auto-wipers suck—don’t care. Road noise is significant—don’t care. Unresolved trim issues at purchase—don’t care. The car is just amazing. Best purchase I have ever made, without question. Second: I pay attention when I drive, and know how the Model 3 works. I have logged about 45,000 miles on autopilot. I know how to pay attention, and I know when and how to prove that to the M3.

Now for the sad part. The FSD beta was simply yanked from my car last week, with no email notice, and little to no in-car warning. If something was presented on the screen, it was small, looked like any other message, and, ironically, it must have been showing when I was driving and paying attention to the road!

I got the FSD beta a few weeks ago after a painstaking 30 days of getting a 99 safety score, despite driving in really difficult areas of Boston and the suburbs. All sorts of people hard breaking in front of me, cutting me off, etc. But I was careful, as I always am, and maintained a 99 for a month which was no small feat. I got the FSD beta and was really psyched. Unlike some of you, I didn’t read a ton about it ahead of time. No time for that with 3 younger kids and a demanding job, all seriously affected by the pandemic. So I didn’t fully understand many things about FSD except for the fact that 1) I paid many thousands of dollars for it. 2) I’ve waited two and a half years for it. And 3) it doesn’t work very well so you have to be very careful.

I used FSD the day it downloaded and was struck by how bad it was on city streets. I was really surprised. It was exciting to see it trying to do things it couldn't do before, but I stopped using it. I pretty much only double-tap the gear stalk on major roads, and after that first bad experience, didn’t try it again for a week or so on city streets. The next time I tried it, in hindsight, I noticed extensive nags about paying attention. I was confused because I *was* paying attention. But I guess I did change audio sources, change A/C temps., etc. This is par for the course with standard AP and I never had an issue.

Then last week, I was on a back road. No one around me. I was changing the radio stations during a morning commute and then I had to change my navigation destination. I simply clicked on navigation and switched destinations to one of my preset favorites. AP freaked out and disengaged. And then I saw the message. I was booted from the beta.

Kicked-Out.jpeg

Then ensued tons of reading. I discovered that I was doing it wrong. I should have turned off FSD during my normal commutes and ONLY used it when I wanted to “test” it and pay 100% full attention to the road without even changing the radio station. But I didn’t know. And now after 2.5 years, thousands of dollars, 45,000 miles of safe AP driving, and 30 days of excruciatingly safe Safety-Score driving, I’ve lost what I only had for a few drives, and may never get it back. Man, that SUCKS!

Now a couple of questions for those of you more in the know than me.

1) Does anyone know if I will get FSD beta access back? When?
2) If I email Tesla and officially back out of the beta, will I get my old less-nagging AP back?
3) Can I then re-apply for the beta and go through another safety score test and get FSD back?

So frustrating not knowing the answers to these questions. Of course I called Tesla and the guy on the phone was useless. I do have service scheduled next week and will ask, but I’m pretty sure they won’t know anything either.

For those of you with FSD beta access right now, be careful, and learn from my mistakes!

Just because Tesla does not pay a 3rd party for advertisements does not mean they do not advertise.
I would think that anything on their web site would be considered an advertisement from a legal perspective.

We have to also consider Elons Twitter.

A big part of his role at Tesla is marketing.

Entire news articles about a Tesla feature will be written entirely from a single tweet of his. To such a degree that it's free advertising, but its the illusion of free as Elon doesn't work for free.

Hi everyone, apologies for the long post, but I feel like my M3 investment deserves this airing! I’m not a super-frequent visitor here, but have read many threads over the 2.5 years I’ve had my beloved Dual Motor Model 3. I’m posting today to explain how I was unceremoniously booted from the FSD beta program last week. But before I get into that, a little background.

First and foremost: I love my M3. It has changed my life. I previously had a Subaru Forrester. I’m a consultant and drive about 1-2 hours per day, going to various client sites. For a couple years leading up to the M3 purchase, my body, and particularly my back, would be *hurting* after longer drives in the Forrester. I was honestly asking myself how I was going to keep going with my career, with the aches and pains that driving was causing me. Then I looked into a Model 3. And the rest is history.

I use autopilot 90% of the time I’m in the car. Always paying attention, of course, but able to rest my body. No feet pressing the pedals. No hands clutching the wheel. It’s astounding what a toll that takes on the (50-year-old) body, day in and day out. I can drive 2 hours in the M3 and not feel like I was in the car at all. That's life changing!

Now, first of all, I’m no Elon/Tesla complainer/hater. I love the car so much, tech warts and all. Auto-wipers suck—don’t care. Road noise is significant—don’t care. Unresolved trim issues at purchase—don’t care. The car is just amazing. Best purchase I have ever made, without question. Second: I pay attention when I drive, and know how the Model 3 works. I have logged about 45,000 miles on autopilot. I know how to pay attention, and I know when and how to prove that to the M3.

Now for the sad part. The FSD beta was simply yanked from my car last week, with no email notice, and little to no in-car warning. If something was presented on the screen, it was small, looked like any other message, and, ironically, it must have been showing when I was driving and paying attention to the road!

I got the FSD beta a few weeks ago after a painstaking 30 days of getting a 99 safety score, despite driving in really difficult areas of Boston and the suburbs. All sorts of people hard breaking in front of me, cutting me off, etc. But I was careful, as I always am, and maintained a 99 for a month which was no small feat. I got the FSD beta and was really psyched. Unlike some of you, I didn’t read a ton about it ahead of time. No time for that with 3 younger kids and a demanding job, all seriously affected by the pandemic. So I didn’t fully understand many things about FSD except for the fact that 1) I paid many thousands of dollars for it. 2) I’ve waited two and a half years for it. And 3) it doesn’t work very well so you have to be very careful.

I used FSD the day it downloaded and was struck by how bad it was on city streets. I was really surprised. It was exciting to see it trying to do things it couldn't do before, but I stopped using it. I pretty much only double-tap the gear stalk on major roads, and after that first bad experience, didn’t try it again for a week or so on city streets. The next time I tried it, in hindsight, I noticed extensive nags about paying attention. I was confused because I *was* paying attention. But I guess I did change audio sources, change A/C temps., etc. This is par for the course with standard AP and I never had an issue.

Then last week, I was on a back road. No one around me. I was changing the radio stations during a morning commute and then I had to change my navigation destination. I simply clicked on navigation and switched destinations to one of my preset favorites. AP freaked out and disengaged. And then I saw the message. I was booted from the beta.

View attachment 741416

Then ensued tons of reading. I discovered that I was doing it wrong. I should have turned off FSD during my normal commutes and ONLY used it when I wanted to “test” it and pay 100% full attention to the road without even changing the radio station. But I didn’t know. And now after 2.5 years, thousands of dollars, 45,000 miles of safe AP driving, and 30 days of excruciatingly safe Safety-Score driving, I’ve lost what I only had for a few drives, and may never get it back. Man, that SUCKS!

Now a couple of questions for those of you more in the know than me.

1) Does anyone know if I will get FSD beta access back? When?
2) If I email Tesla and officially back out of the beta, will I get my old less-nagging AP back?
3) Can I then re-apply for the beta and go through another safety score test and get FSD back?

So frustrating not knowing the answers to these questions. Of course I called Tesla and the guy on the phone was useless. I do have service scheduled next week and will ask, but I’m pretty sure they won’t know anything either.

For those of you with FSD beta access right now, be careful, and learn from my mistakes!
It is awful, be thankful 😉

I am at two disconnects. The car is telling me one more and I am out the early access. I drove with beta for over a year without any disconnects. I disconnected it many, many times for doing dangerous and stupid things as it is learning. Then after a year with my hands on the wheel and driving straight after a recent upgrade while talking to my grandmother (94) the car disconnected me. I then only two weeks later was disconnected while approaching a stop light. Again, both times I was watching the road ahead and watching where the Tesla was going. If I did not do this, I would be in many , many accidents.
Now when I drive, I find myself paying too much attention to my dashboard rather than only the road as I should. What would happen to TESLA if FSD would be disconnected until perfected. When I brought the car in for service and complained the and asked them to check the saved videos the written service report was you agree with an implied tough. Recently I was driving on the highway and the car approached an 18-wheel flat bed. If I was not paying attention I would have crashed at high speed because the Tesla did not see the truck. That they were interested in. I ask Tesla and Elon Musk to realize their monitoring methods are punishing some safe drivers because it is an antiquated monitoring means for such a sophisticated vehicle. And worse they are making safe drivers less safe. I don't want to demean the Tesla FSD as it is a fantastic but not perfect system.

I don't actually understand all the interest in beta testing for Tesla. Why bother? Seems like a giant PITA. I'd use AP and be happy until such time as the Level 2 system actually works. Even then I'm not so interested in L2 as I am in L4/5 .

The L2 system does work, and has for quite a while now. How well can vary considerably- but it works.

In particular it handles things like cross traffic a ton better than the wide-release code that was never meant to be used with it, so for folks who do any significant amount of driving on say a longish stretch of non-highway it's a significant improvement over the "old" system today let alone in the future.

It also does a nice job moving to the side of a lane with say an oncoming large truck, or to the other side around pedestrians/bikers- again stuff the wide release code doesn't do.

And especially when traffic is light it can do a credible job in many areas of driving from A to B with no human intervention required... (most often when I DO have to intervene it's because there's people behind me, and I know it's going to be way too slow handling an upcoming stop sign turn or something and don't want to annoy those behind me- if I was in no hurry I could just leave it alone and it'd work fine)

There's certainly SOME areas/conditions where its performance is "bad", personally I notice this most in areas where the lane maps are wrong (so it'll pick the wrong lane to be in, or have bad behavior about diving into a new lane it shouldn't)-- but for my personal driving this is uncommon and there's plenty of times where it's a significant improvement so I'm happy to have access to it.

I dropped FSD and was in Beta. For fun to see how pathetic the progress most likely is, I decided to sign up again for a month, now I'm stuck in a queue? Great...whatever....I promptly canceled it and won't be doing this ever again. Safety score is a joke and garbage along with TACC and AP.

Reactions: DocRob
I dropped FSD and was in Beta. For fun to see how pathetic the progress most likely is, I decided to sign up again for a month, now I'm stuck in a queue? Great...whatever....I promptly canceled it and won't be doing this ever again. Safety score is a joke and garbage along with TACC and AP.
Your posts are always so enlightening and helpful. It’s pathetic, so Stop trying to get back in problem solved!

When FSD is finally perfected for general release (thanks to all a you diligent beta testers) then Tesla will get a check for $12 grand (or whatever the cost is by then) from me. But otherwise AP is just fine for all of my current needs and from what I hear, is also still a step better than systems offered by most other makers.

Reactions: nativewolf
When FSD is finally perfected for general release (thanks to all a you diligent beta testers) then Tesla will get a check for $12 grand (or whatever the cost is by then) from me. But otherwise AP is just fine for all of my current needs and from what I hear, is also still a step better than systems offered by most other makers.
To me this makes the most sense.

Reactions: mrbulk
It would be - if robotaxi capability actually works. I've posted links to ARK spreadsheet where you can plug in your own values to come up with the number.

Just think of the value of a taxi medallion in NY.
One of only a few cities where they are worth much if anything and Uber crushed the values...and Uber is a money losing pig. I think Ark and EM have dramatically overstated the potential profitability of a robotaxi fleet. The NYC medallions were worth $1.2mln but now are $100k and falling. If Waymo takes off in NYC I expect the medallions to fall much more, nearly to zero. 0...about the profit of the average taxi driver. That's what a robotaxi is going to create...put a bunch of working stiffs out of a job to produce 0 profit because at the end of the day it's a low profit service business. There are 0 barriers to entry.

My feeling about Robotaxi by Tesla

1. it is not happening right away
  2. Tesla and other EM related companies are not famous for service. Solarcity to Tesla sometimes great sometimes not service centers to the always helpful and informative ordering process in any EM company.
  3. Waymo and others are making progress
    1. They are expanding services to new cities
    2. Learning how to operate, how to clean and provision a fleet
    3. Learning what consumers will and won't buy
    4. By the time Tesla actually has a robotaxi fleet it seems that most major metro regions will already have a competitor.
    5. I don't think there is the demand that some believe. I make this assumption as a former suburban driver who now lives in the countryside. The biggest weakness is that most people with cars use the space in the car for storing things, especially families. Babyseats and tennis rackets and golfbags. What a PITA to move that stuff from vehicle to vehicle. No thanks.
    6. There's a reason Uber rides come from a few metro regions. There's also a trend of fewer riders willing to spend more money on more rides. The userbase is not expanding.
FSD Robotaxi could do lots of good in smaller metro regions that are dramatically under served by metro transportation services. In rural areas they could allow elderly to have functional mobility after 4pm. Could allow handicapped and functional alcoholics to participate in society. Lots of potential wins for FSD but I am skeptical that is where the service will be aimed. I think they'll aim it at young people without kids, travelers, etc in dense metro regions. So basically the people that already use Uber. It's not that big a market.

Reactions: mrbulk
It's a lot profit business because you have to pay a human driver and pay NYC gasoline prices.

Switch that to $0 for labor and EV rates and suddenly the profit ain't so low.

The other bigger piece there is exactly all those smaller cities you mention-- because suddenly all the places it doesn't make sense TODAY to have significant taxi service due to labor and fuel costs, it now DOES make sense... meaning your TAM is much much larger than todays Waymo or taxi services.

It's a very big market.

My dubiousness isn't on there being a large, profitable, market, the math is pretty clear there--- it's on getting to generalized L4 anytime soon.

I'm also dubious of the MEGA RT bulls who think they'll end individual car ownership but that's another topic... (I do think they'd reduce the # of households that have 2-3 or more vehicles though)

Reactions: Daniel in SD
I don't think there is the demand that some believe. I make this assumption as a former suburban driver who now lives in the countryside. The biggest weakness is that most people with cars use the space in the car for storing things, especially families. Babyseats and tennis rackets and golfbags. What a PITA to move that stuff from vehicle to vehicle. No thanks.
To expand on this a bit.
Younger people tend to go hiking, biking, kayaking, skiing, wind surfing, etc and need their ride to carry this stuff even if just a few days a year.
And you often drive long distances and park for long periods that would cost too much in a robotaxi.
Get a bit older and you have kids needing car seats. And they need to be the proper size and installed properly.
What do you do with your car seat when the robotaxi drops you off at the mall?
Then you need booster seats, then a place to store soccer and little league stuff.
What mom is going to send their kids to school in a robotaxi -- would this even be legal?
No one needs all this every day or even every year, but you buy a car for many years and for the few days you need that stuff, generally.
So robotaxis might take away some car sales, especially 2nd or 3rd cars.
Robotaxis will take away business from taxis, at airports, in busy downtowns and places where it is hard to park...and not much more

Reactions: gaspi101 and DocRob
That's what a robotaxi is going to create...put a bunch of working stiffs out of a job to produce 0 profit because at the end of the day it's a low profit service business. There are 0 barriers to entry.
Lots of assumptions here.

In the loooooooong run I agree, the entry barrier would be low and it won't cost much. But in the short term - say 2 years from now if Tesla can actually get the robotaxi working, they might be the only robotaxi in town. Their only competition is Uber / Taxi. In that scenario, Tesla could make a lot of money running robotaxi or charge a lot of that capability.

You take the ARK template (or any template you wish) and put in your guesses and post the result here. Then we can talk about numbers.

My dubiousness isn't on there being a large, profitable, market, the math is pretty clear there--- it's on getting to generalized L4 anytime soon.
That has always been the case. But to argue there is no money in robotaxi service capability is just not credible.

Bottomline - if (thats the big IF), Tesla can get to robotaxi capability "soon", it would be worth a lot of money.

Reactions: Daniel in SD
Robotaxis will take away business from taxis, at airports, in busy downtowns and places where it is hard to park...and not much more
Long term is always difficult to predict - but in the short term after robotaxis become available - people are going to use them like the use Uber/Lyft now.

People have to get a lot more comfortable with the idea of robotaxis before they will send their kids in robotaxis (there would be regulatory changes for that). There will always be people who own cars - those who car afford them - for the convenience. But a lot of people who own them now just to be able to get around, could give up on the cars first.