Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kman's Tesla Videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In this Video, Myself, my two boys and Grannie take a afternoon drive to Appleton, Wisconsin. My friend Tom takes us to some historical sights, including the location of the worlds FIRST Hydro Electric Power Plant! The original plant has long since been torn down, however, a reproduction was built in the 1930's, which is what we see in this video. We also visit the location of Plant #2, and some very old historical Street-Car/Trolley's. We also take a short drive over to another small Hydro plant that has two free Chargepoint J1772 charging stations, and a old Hydro Plant turbine on display. To top it off, Tom takes us to his basement where he has a old Pipe Organ console, and he plays a bit of Pipe Organ for us, as well as let it play by itself for a little while ;-)
All in all, while not a long trip, it was a nice way to enjoy one of the last Warmer/Nice days left before the snow starts flying (This is Wisconsin, we consider 45-50*F Nice and Warm! Thats BBQ and swimming weather here!!!).

Coming Soon, I have thermal video of the Model S Seat heaters warming from about 28*F up to 60*F at each setting, 1, 2 and 3. And possibly tomorrow, I will do a Thermal video of the Battery pack warming from stone cold with Regen Disabled, to operating Temp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tesla Motors Model S: Seat Heater Thermal Imagery
============================
In this video, I show the Tesla Model S Seat Heaters from cold to 60*F on each setting. I tried to sync the three videos as best as possible, for best viewing results, change playback settings to 1080p if you do not have it set at that already, and watch full screen. Thermal Camera resolution isn't the highest.

https://www.facebook.com/KmanAuto
https://www.YouTube.com/KmanAuto
Secured Home of superchargertravel.com

Coming Soon, My idea of using Thermal Imagery in conjunction with Autopilot and eventual Autonomous driving to help identify People and Animals further in advance in dark conditions. Includes 13 minutes of Driving with external thermal imagery Showing roadway and people walking. I'd say good test despite the ultra-low resolution of my Thermal Camera.

Last edited:
Tesla Motors: Opinion Use Thermal Imagery for Autopilot Assistance
==================================
My idea of using Thermal Imagery in conjunction with Autopilot and eventual Autonomous driving to help identify People and Animals further in advance in dark conditions. Includes 13 minutes of Driving with external thermal imagery Showing roadway and people walking. I'd say good test despite the ultra-low resolution of my Thermal Camera.
I feel this, in conjunction with the camera setup for Autopilot, can help Autopilot and Autonomous Driving in the future to detect people, and animals further in advance then what a camera can in dark conditions.

Secured Home of superchargertravel.com

WHEEL IS SAVED! By EV Annex Wheel Band!!!
===============================
Had a nasty hit at the post office. Had to curb the car to avoid hitting a kid on a bike talking on his phone (Didn't see the phone, but according to the post master that saw it though the window...). The kid rode full speed into the road. Yes, I know, drivers side...... It was either that, or the kid would not have survived a run in with the Titanium Shield, he would have been a bloody pulp.
Anyways, the rim survived without damage, the red band took the hit and got the crap scrapped out of it (What it was DESIGNED TO DO!). If I didn't like the wheel bands enough before, I sure as heck LOVE them now!!!! I 100% endorse this product! See Tesla Model S Aftermarket Accessories by EVannex to Purchase!

https://www.youtube.com/KmanAuto
https://www.SuperchargerTravel.com

Tesla Model S: Interesting Find-Potentiometer Bake Pedal
========================================*==
A interesting find, that I was able to discover now that the Model S Classic has Torque Sleep at standstill. It appears the Brake pedal has more then just a on/off switch to turn the brake lights on and off when you hit the pedal. It now looks to be that the brake pedal has a Potentiometer, that is able to sense how far the pedal is depressed. This is good, as maybe, potentially, in the future, additional regeneration might be available when the brake pedal is pressed.

My personal thoughts on this are that, give us the up to 60kWh regen we currently get, but if we touch the brake pedal, let the car give us more regen in conjunction with the friction brakes. Also, make this option toggle-able/select-able via a slider or button on the touch screen by where we can currently select the level of regen the car gives.

https://www.youtube.com/KmanAuto

Does the power go up when you press the brake, or when you back off on it?

Perhaps the little power jump is due to the brake booster/pump engaging as you're pressing the pedal harder?
The power jump is when you back off. I confirmed the Booster is not kicking in. I can very the power level depending on how far I hold the pedal down. If I hold the pedal only so far, the power meter will hold at that power level too.

The power jump is when you back off. I confirmed the Booster is not kicking in. I can very the power level depending on how far I hold the pedal down. If I hold the pedal only so far, the power meter will hold at that power level too.
Wouldn't torque sleep just be an on or off thing, not variable like that? My guess is that something else is going on. I just don't know what it would be.

Wouldn't torque sleep just be an on or off thing, not variable like that? My guess is that something else is going on. I just don't know what it would be.
My guess would be no. You want variable. If it were just on or off, if you took your foot off the brake and put it on the accelerator too quickly, you'd have more of a lurch forward. Perhaps that is how it works if you don't use Creep Mode, however, I am one of the few Normal people that enjoys creep mode. So using the potentiameter, as I lift my foot from the brake, creep mode takes over and slowly engages.

Just guessing here that it's pre-torque-loading the motor in preparation of acceleration as you come off the brake, so it's not "jerky".. and you're right, creep mode would do that for you already. So maybe this is for non-creep-mode.

I don't think it's related to regen.

Its not related to regen. What I was getting at, is it has the potential future application of having additional regen when brake is pressed (Think Prius). Example, take foot off accelerator, you have up to 60kWh of regen, then start pressing brake, and depending on how much you press the brake, you may get additional varied regen,

Its not related to regen. What I was getting at, is it has the potential future application of having additional regen when brake is pressed (Think Prius). Example, take foot off accelerator, you have up to 60kWh of regen, then start pressing brake, and depending on how much you press the brake, you may get additional varied regen,

Yeah, that would be great if regen can do more than 60Kw!!

Tesla Get Together Wisconsin Dells Wisconsin 2015
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
We spent more time enjoying ourselves, and with the rain, didn't take much video, but here is what I did take from the 2015 Wisconsin Dells, WI Tesla Get-Together. Too bad out of the 15+ RSVP's, only myself and one other Tesla Owner showed up. But we did also have a Volt, Camry Hybrid, and a F150 come to the party!
And ya know what, even with all the no-shows, we had a absolute blast! Those no-shows didn't come because of the rain. By 4pm, the rain stopped, sun came out and we had a grand ol time!

Sorry, this one isn't quite Tesla related, but falls in with ditching Gas. My almost complete conversion to Electric (Barring the Riding lawn mower!).

Tour of Kman's Battery Powered Tools and basic review & commentary.
======================================
A very old viewer request, was for a tour of my cordless/electric tools. So here it is. All tools were also purchased at a fraction of the retail cost. Must be a smart shopper! The best deal was the snow blower, sticker price was $499, I got it for $100 as it was the display model at Wal-Mart, I cant wait to try it out....Never-mind, I can wait. Bring on more 50+ Weather!!!
The trimmer lasts a long time, and can do almost the entire yard on a single charge. The Chainsaw, I cut about 10 cords of firewood total for this winter using that saw. It's now due for a chain sharpening.
Haven't tested the Jaw-Saw yet, as that was a super black friday coupon stacking deal. While not "Lithium", the Push mower using a car battery and car starter to turn the blade, has been great for cutting the grass on the railroad tracks in the back yard.
Now, the most useful so far, are my cordless drills. I use the living crap out of those. To the point I wore the older ones chuck out. So I just leave that one as a screwdriver attachment (As I use that a lot anyways) and the newer one that still works properly, I use that as a power ratchet and drill. The newer one also has 100inch lbs more torque, so that helps with the sockets.

The garage needs a bit of organizing, but since my garage is both my Warehouse for my online Motorcycle Parts business, and also my workshop where I repair Mopeds, Scooters and Motorcycles (And the occasional Electric Conversion Car), this is about as good as it gets.

Total List:
SnowJoe Snowblower Battery compatible with SunJoe
SunJoe Chain Saw Battery compatible with SnowJoe
Worx Jaw-Saw
Worx Leaf Blower
Worx String Trimmer
Worx Hedge Trimmer
Torro Hack & Stine Push Mower
Sears Craftsman Nextec Cordless 12v Drill First Gen
Sears Craftsman Nextec Cordless 12v Drill Second Gen
Sears Craftsman Nextec Auto Hammer
Sears Craftsman Nextec Oscillating Multi-Tool Saw
Sears Craftsman Nextec Cordless 12v Shop Vac
Hoover Vacuum
============================
Purchase And Information Links:
Sears Craftsman Nextec tool Product Category:- Amazon.com: nextec
SnowJoe Snowblower:----------------------------- Amazon.com : Snow Joe iON18SB Ion Cordless Single Stage Brushless Snow Blower with Rechargeable Ecosharp 40-volt Lithium-Ion Battery : Patio, Lawn Garden
Sunjoe Chain Saw:--------------------------------- Sun Joe iON 40-Volt Cordless 16-Inch Chain Saw w/ Brushless Motor | iON16CS
Worx Products:------------------------------------- Amazon.com: worx 20v
Hoover Cordless Vacuum:------------------------- Amazon.com - Hoover Linx Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner, BH50010 - Household Upright Vacuums

Total cost for all the above was below $800 as I always purchase on sale or with coupons etc...
Coupon Stacking, Black Friday, and waiting for deals is your friend. Buy Winter tools at the beginning of summer, buy summer tools at the beginning of winter and your set to go!

superchargertravel.com

EDIT: Edited to add purchase links for amazon where the different tools can be found per Pilot_51's Request. Cheers! And Merry Christmas to all and to all, well, Time for more Caffeine! Must Kidnap Mr. Santey Claws.

Good info. Though, a bit long (understandably) when I'm only interested in a few of the tools. It would help a litttle to have time links in the description for where you begin talking about each tool.

I'm in the slow process of purging all gas-powered equipment out of my life. Fortunately, I don't have much to replace and of the regularly used items (car and lawn tools), I'm 2/3 of the way through.

In March, I replaced my gas string trimmer with a Black & Decker LCC140 and I love it. I hated the gas trimmer for the fumes, mixing oil, and difficulty of cold start. My biggest issue with the B&D is that my arm gets more tired since it has more weight at the business end and doesn't have the arm rest to provide leverage, but it's not too bad since the whole thing is considerably lighter.

Next on my agenda is the riding mower, which may be in a few months if I find a good one for my needs (no more than about $2k and easily capable of mowing an acre on a charge). Aside from the obvious gas issue, the regular maintenance is a necessary inconvenience that isn't particularly cheap, which would be nearly non-existent for an electric mower.

I have been considering a snow blower to replace shovels and paying a guy with a snow plow on his truck. I haven't fully worked out whether it makes financial or environmental sense (we usually pay for the plow if it's deep or we don't have time to shovel it ourselves, so a snow blower might not change that much). I measured the area of the driveway to be about 4000 sq. ft. and I'm not sure if a cordless snow blower would last long enough on one charge. By coincidence, one of the first snow blower reviews I watched on YouTube turned out to be from another Model S owner in Michigan who picked up his car from Chicago just last month.

Good info. Though, a bit long (understandably) when I'm only interested in a few of the tools. It would help a litttle to have time links in the description for where you begin talking about each tool.

I'm in the slow process of purging all gas-powered equipment out of my life. Fortunately, I don't have much to replace and of the regularly used items (car and lawn tools), I'm 2/3 of the way through.

In March, I replaced my gas string trimmer with a Black & Decker LCC140 and I love it. I hated the gas trimmer for the fumes, mixing oil, and difficulty of cold start. My biggest issue with the B&D is that my arm gets more tired since it has more weight at the business end and doesn't have the arm rest to provide leverage, but it's not too bad since the whole thing is considerably lighter.

Next on my agenda is the riding mower, which may be in a few months if I find a good one for my needs (no more than about $2k and easily capable of mowing an acre on a charge). Aside from the obvious gas issue, the regular maintenance is a necessary inconvenience that isn't particularly cheap, which would be nearly non-existent for an electric mower.

I have been considering a snow blower to replace shovels and paying a guy with a snow plow on his truck. I haven't fully worked out whether it makes financial or environmental sense (we usually pay for the plow if it's deep or we don't have time to shovel it ourselves, so a snow blower might not change that much). I measured the area of the driveway to be about 4000 sq. ft. and I'm not sure if a cordless snow blower would last long enough on one charge. By coincidence, one of the first snow blower reviews I watched on YouTube turned out to be from another Model S owner in Michigan who picked up his car from Chicago just last month.

Wish Granted, Links to purchase pages on Amazon and Sun Joe provided. I prefer purchasing from Amazon, with Prime shipping, but the chainsaw wasn't on amazon.

I generalized with some of the tools, showing what tools were compatible battery wise instead, as all the Worx tools are great, and so far all the Nextec ones have been too. Just stay away from the Nextec trimmer. It's discontinued, and the string is impossible to get as it uses some wacky design...

The mower, so far, the only factory built rider i found was Cub Cadet. And it was definitely more then 2k. I plan on converting my own once it finally bites the dust. Not that I don't have plenty of experience doing conversions (26 cars converted to EV's under my belt). But at the moment, I only suck down a few gallons/summer, and on top of that, I'm burning old fuel that I drain out of customers bikes. Stale gas etc... I have to dispose of it somewhere, and since I don't drive a gas car anymore, the mower is it. The tiny jets on these scooters and small motorcycles just get clogged so easialy on the old stale gas, especially the crap gas with Ethanol.... Nasty stuff that should not be used in a engine :(

As for snow blower, while I haven't tried it yet, reviews say a run time after a decent heavy snowfall of about 40 minutes and upwards of 55 minutes per charge. And remember, batteries are removable, so in my case, since the chain saw and snowblower use same battery, I can pop dead one out, put in good one, and put the dead one on the charger. Based on my experiences draining the batteries on my chainsaw, by the time I drain the second battery, battery 1 has about a 50% charge in it. So basically, I could theoretically, with 2 batteries, get the run time of 1 hr 40 minutes on the low end and 2.3 hrs on the high end using 2 and 1/2 charges.
And that is with the stock 4ah battery, they also have a 5ah battery. It's expensive though.

That is a crazy coincidence. Hoped to try it out the last snow fall..... A Month ago..... (December has been more like spring, and I'm not complaining...) I had very very nasty bronchitis, and was basically knocked on my backside for a few weeks. Still getting over it, and now both my boys are really nasty sick with something they picked up from school. So I didn't go anywhere that snowy day, and it was all melted by the next morning. Chicago got nailed quite a bit worse then Milwaukee.