Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kman's Tesla Videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

We finally got to try Tesla's Full Self Drive ( FSD ) Beta in the snow. Unfortunately our experience was not promising. Tesla has decided to go an entirely vision based route to Full Self Driving vehicles. Radar on the older cars with FSD is now disabled, and 100% vision only for driving. In comparison, other manufacturers are keeping radar and adding Lidar. I can definately tell the difference without radar just in NORMAL driving. Normal Autopilot alone, is noticeably worse without the radar. Nice thing at least with radar as well, is it can "see" in poor weather. When you may not be able to see that vehicle far up a head, the radar still can (Inclement weather).
I am getting off track a bit here. Lack of Radar isn't the main issue this time around. It's the Vision. Even with clear windshield, and wipers running, in a fairly mild snow fall, the car could not see ahead of it.
This video was originally recorded and edited together without Tesla Cam, and I later went back and added it. I thought it had not been recording, as I tried to view it when we stopped at the supercharger in Pleasant Prairie at the Outlet Mall. I've been having some trouble with the SSD I use for Tesla Cam, and it was not viewable and car wanted me to format the drive again. I WAS later able to recover SOME Tesla Cam video, but not all. So the Tesla Cam clips you see are all I could get. Drive is now formatted and working correctly again (for now).
Notice how bad the forward video is. This is with a Clean Windshield, Wipers running, I checked, and the forward camera is NOT fogged up. All side cameras are also clean and clear as is the rear. Obviously, Tesla Cam isn't going to display as clear as the car itself sees, this is due to limitations of Tesla Cam as it's original design/intent did not permit it to be used as a Dash Cam or for purposes other than FSD, so Tesla used some software trickery to be able to make it usable for that purpose. But even still, you have to admit, it's pretty bad. I will be trying more in the future, also thinking of waxing my windshield over the camera to assist in water beading and removal.

#FSDSnow #FullSelfDriveSnow #FSDWinter #FullSelfDriveWinter #fsdbeta

Our 2016 Tesla Model S was Hit & Run on the Illinois Tollway system by a ~2005 Volkswagen Passat, Grey Color. This happened at the end of 2020, finally sharing now. Unfortunately for us, the snow blocked our dashcam enough where we could not recover the license plate number. Illinois tollway will not release his license plate number, without a subpoena. We have the EXACT Time Stamp he went through the tollway. 1 of 3 cars, including ours, within a 15 second span, The Year, Make and Model of his vehicle (THANK YOU PEOPLE OF DSLREPORTS FOR THIS!).

Problem is, to get a Subpoena, you need a lawyer. I'm from Wisconsin, and would need a Illinois Licensed Lawyer. After contacting over 40 layers most referred by the Illinois Bar Association(Nope, not joking!) in Illinois, all but 2 would not take the case at all. The Last two wanted $10k to get the subpoena. They are all just looking for the quick payout.

So unfortunately, this jackoff got away with just whatever damage to his car, and I had to take the insurance hit for a $20k + our deductible. On the bright side, I at least got gen 3 door handles out of it.... Major shoutout to Marshall Auto Body | Collision Repair | Waukesha, WI 53186 for doing an absolutely AMAZING job repairing our Model S! 50,000 Miles have been added to it since the accident.

I'd also like to give a SHOUTOUT TO #Tesla for making such an amazing car. The hit was HARD, the well designed vehicle took the impact like a champ. Vehicle Weight + Skill kept us from spinning out completely (Cops couldn't believe I did not lose control. PRACTICE People! Practice in an empty parking lot after a snow storm controlling your vehicle in a slide!).

Speed was approximately 60mph. Autopilot was NOT on. This is in a 2016 Dual Motor Model S with Goodyear Eagle RS-A2 All-Season Tires.

#TeslaAccident #teslacrash

Our 2016 Tesla Model S was Hit & Run on the Illinois Tollway system by a ~2005 Volkswagen Passat, Grey Color. This happened at the end of 2020, finally sharing now. Unfortunately for us, the snow blocked our dashcam enough where we could not recover the license plate number. Illinois tollway will not release his license plate number, without a subpoena. We have the EXACT Time Stamp he went through the tollway. 1 of 3 cars, including ours, within a 15 second span, The Year, Make and Model of his vehicle (THANK YOU PEOPLE OF DSLREPORTS FOR THIS!).

Problem is, to get a Subpoena, you need a lawyer. I'm from Wisconsin, and would need a Illinois Licensed Lawyer. After contacting over 40 layers most referred by the Illinois Bar Association(Nope, not joking!) in Illinois, all but 2 would not take the case at all. The Last two wanted $10k to get the subpoena. They are all just looking for the quick payout.

So unfortunately, this jackoff got away with just whatever damage to his car, and I had to take the insurance hit for a $20k + our deductible. On the bright side, I at least got gen 3 door handles out of it.... Major shoutout to Marshall Auto Body | Collision Repair | Waukesha, WI 53186 for doing an absolutely AMAZING job repairing our Model S! 50,000 Miles have been added to it since the accident.

I'd also like to give a SHOUTOUT TO #Tesla for making such an amazing car. The hit was HARD, the well designed vehicle took the impact like a champ. Vehicle Weight + Skill kept us from spinning out completely (Cops couldn't believe I did not lose control. PRACTICE People! Practice in an empty parking lot after a snow storm controlling your vehicle in a slide!).

Speed was approximately 60mph. Autopilot was NOT on. This is in a 2016 Dual Motor Model S with Goodyear Eagle RS-A2 All-Season Tires.

#TeslaAccident #teslacrash
Would it not be in the interest of the insurance company to get a subpoena and to get the money back?

Happened across Signature Tesla Model S #643 in Illinois on the way back to Wisconsin. Love seeing these ultra-classic's. I waited around a while, however the owner did not return and we were done charging. Not sure if they were original owner or not, however, whomever currently owns it has kept this car CLEAN! Interior and Exterior have been extremely well maintained. #TeslaSignaure #TeslaFounder

• Love
Reactions: Electroman

101,000 Miles 5 years and finally did firmware update from 8.x to firmware 10.x. Range is holding, but now, with the firmware change, Tesla is now fudging numbers to hide problems. This mostly stemmed from the lawsuit against Tesla and them artificially lowering the battery pack voltages. The CAN BUS data was being used against them, so they are now fudging a lot of data so it can't be used against them. #TeslaRange #ModelSRange #TeslaDegradation

Are you sure they are fudging the numbers, or has TM-Spy just not kept up with the changes to the CAN-BUS messaging? (I know ScanMyTesla has to update things all the time to account for firmware changes or the data looks wonky.)
The data is wonky, and all over the place, I use both scan my tesla and tm spy in my range update videos, and so far the data usually matches between the two. TM-Spy is just a much cleaner app to work with

Nikola Battery Electric Semi Truck spotted in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I had just left the Tesla Service center where my Model S was getting the CCS Upgrade, when I came across the Nikola Semi-Truck. It took me a few moments to realize what it was. Unfortunately, I did not get to see it under it's own power. It was on a Drop Trailer, being transported. Given how dirty it was, front tires flat, and it was in Wisconsin, in the Winter, my best guess is they had it here for Winter Weather testing, or demoing it for a company. Without being able to have any hands on time with it, I will say, in person, the design is nice, and more traditional. While the Tesla Semi is a Tech Marvel, Nikola seems to have kept it more traditional. This specific Nikola Semi appears to be a standard Day-Cab style.

HUGE drop. It should be a temporary drop though, as car doesn't think pack capacity dropped all that much, balance is good, I'm thinking the BMS is VERY out of wack in terms of calculating out the overall though. A drain from low SOC, to full should bring back the calculations. I did NOT let the car finish charging, as it was holding 1kW charge rate for a LONG time. This usually in my experience indicates that it is balancing the pack out, and doing recalculating. We'll see in the next update. I'm finally catching up on these range update videos, only 2 years behind now. I'm going to try and post 2/week to catch up, and we should be caught up in a couple months, along with new regular content throughout the week too. The motivation to make videos has finally struck again, sorry it comes in spurts, life.... Kids.... YouTube screwing me over by artificially restricting traffic to my content (Biggest deterrent that has killed my motivation to make videos)...

After a firmware update, the car decided it would not run the heater fan any longer. Updating the firmware, must have come along with new tolerances for amperage readings for the blower fan. As such, what was working before the firmware update, did not work after.
Follow along as I take the cover off, and show the failure points of the blower fan, and why the car decided it was time for a fan replacement.

Tesla Part: HVAC BLOWER ASY (1051864-00-A) Price $50 Availability OTC
Installation $39

#TeslaHeat #TeslaFailure #TeslaBlower

• Informative

HUGE INCREASE in range compared to last test. So.... We went from a HUGE decrease to a HUGE increase.
My Speculation is, BMS is WAYYYY out of whack in calculating out the total pack capacity. Given that it wasn't driven for nearly 2 months (Lost very little range) due to the accident (Got T-Boned in Illinois on the freeway, Hit & Run, for those who haven't seen the video yet,
). Now that it's being driven again, a bunch of charges to 100% from Low SOC are bringing the calculations back into focus. Lets see how it levels out over the next couple thousand miles. I sure rack them up quick enough!

Wooo Hooo! My 2016 Model S seems to have gotten a speed boost. Weather it's from the firmware update, or from the CCS upgrade recently done. Either way, it's a very nice improvement.
HISTORY: 2016, my (Current) Model S is new. Charge rates around 114/115. 2 months and a couple thousand miles of ownership in, I'm halfway through my first road trip. Out of nowhere, charge rates drop to 94kW MAX. That sucked :-( Tesla told me I supercharged "too much" and it was to prolong the life of my battery. Really? 2 months of ownership..... Fast forward 4 3/4 years, December 26th, 2020 Firmware Update. Magically, My Model S supercharging speeds were restored to original! back to 114/115kW! So much for slower speeds "saving" my battery. Fast forward 2 1/4 years, now magically, now that my WARRANTY is getting close to ending, I can charge up to 124kW!!!!!!!!

I'll take it, but very surprised. Now, taking another step back, while that December 26, 2020 firmware update increased my Model S charging speed, my 2016 Model X, which had previously maxed out at 144kW charge rate, got neutered down to 112 kW MAX, and has not seen a speed increase like my Model S has, even though it also got the CCS update. However, the Model X has FSD Beta, and firmware is a little different. I'll report back if there are any changes.

#SuperchargingSpeed #Tesla #teslasupercharger

Taking Tesla's new FSD Beta 11.3.4 release for a spin, and first real impressions. Thus far, I feel this was a one step forward 4 big steps backward. Overall, Impressed by right turns, which are smoother, roundabouts and parking lots.

NOT Impressed with pulling too far out into cross traffic to make a left turn, crossing the centerline into on-coming traffic even though it SEES the lines and oncoming traffic just fine, stopping at both sides of a 4 way stop, had it blow through a 4 way stop (separate drive) even though it saw the stop signs, try turning left at a red light into cross traffic, multiple times. Shown in part 2, tried it again later yesterday evening, and same spot, it floored the crap out of the car to try and turn against the light. Percentage for speed off-set instead of absolute or fixed. Freeway driving is swerving back and fourth like a Race Car following behind the Pacer. The percentage speed offset is absolutely stupid as heck. Absolute speed off set is a Must. I don't want to be doing 5 over at 25 and 15 over at 70!
(The above observations are not all from just this video, but a cumulation of 2 days driving and a couple hundred miles).

Overall, after a couple days now of driving with this release, This is the first time I've felt like DISABLING FSD BETA since getting FSD Beta last year. Along with some of the "new" behavior making me reluctantly consider a NHTSA complaint.
Just for giggles, I'm going to reset camera calibration today. I'm seeing others report similar problems, and that it improved with a camera calibration. Doesn't hurt to try...

Tesla FSD Beta 11.3.4 Test Part 1 Testing.

#fsdbeta #fsd11 #fsd11

Part 2, Some Freeway. FSD Beta 11.3.4 on the freeway, it did not improve. Seems like I'm not the only one complaining on this release. I HONESTLY feel this was the biggest regression yet. The trend of this release being less safe has continued. First it wanted to make a left turn on a red light into cross traffic. Then, freeway performance, it was weaving back and fourth. Enough to make you seasick. I've done a couple hundred more miles since recording this video, and the weaving is not a one time thing, it's every freeway drive. Does not happen on high speed non-freeway roads (55mph country highway no weaving, but 55 mph freeway, weaving). Just overall bad.

Got yelled at by the wife to turn it off, she won't ride with me if I use FSD Beta anymore....

NOT Impressed with pulling too far out into cross traffic to make a left turn, crossing the centerline into on-coming traffic even though it SEES the lines and oncoming traffic just fine, stopping at both sides of a 4 way stop, had it blow through a 4 way stop (separate drive) even though it saw the stop signs, try turning left at a red light into cross traffic, multiple times. Shown in part 2, tried it again later yesterday evening, and same spot, it floored the crap out of the car to try and turn against the light. Percentage for speed off-set instead of absolute or fixed. Freeway driving is swerving back and fourth like a Race Car following behind the Pacer. The percentage speed offset is absolutely stupid as heck. Absolute speed off set is a Must. I don't want to be doing 5 over at 25 and 15 over at 70!
(The above observations are not all from just this video, but a cumulation of 2 days driving and a couple hundred miles).

Overall, after a couple days now of driving with this release, This is the first time I've felt like DISABLING FSD BETA since getting FSD Beta last year. Along with some of the "new" behavior making me reluctantly consider a NHTSA complaint.
Just for giggles, I'm going to reset camera calibration today. I'm seeing others report similar problems, and that it improved with a camera calibration. Doesn't hurt to try...

Tesla FSD Beta 11.3.4 Test Part 1 Testing.

#fsdbeta #fsd11 #fsd11