Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lacking confidence at speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up a new XP yesterday....our first EV. Got the 20" wheels for ride reasons and repair avoidance. It's a fun car for running around town and the tech is great. But, the ride/stability lacks the feeling of our other premium cars which feel like they're tracking on rails at speed. The XP is a little flinty and coarse thru the wheel kind of like a mid-priced fwd car. I know the money is in the tech and not in the mechanicals, and it's not priced super high, but is this normal?

Comparing to a Panamera, 992 and a RR Sport. All tracking much tighter and no fidgeting. I'm not expecting it to be as composed as a 992, but this is not about a smooth ride, just confident and refined feel.

I have ride height set at low, but not the extra low. I'll try it at the extra low and the next level up (above low) and see how it feels. Alignment seems ok...it doesn't pull, just not composed.

Reactions: EightBitWhit
I came from a 2001 911 to my 2017 X. Maybe things have changed, but I feel the X steering is precise and stable. Very much like the Porsche without as much feedback. You should feel very confident with it. My wife is always pushing 100 MPH when passing on two lane highways and has no idea at the time how fast she is going. That was with the OEM Contis and our current Pirelli Scorpions, all all-seasons with 20" wheels and "comfort" steering setting. Wheel balance and alignment may be in order.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
Comparing to a Panamera, 992 and a RR Sport. All tracking much tighter and no fidgeting. I'm not expecting it to be as composed as a 992, but this is not about a smooth ride, just confident and refined feel.

I have ride height set at low, but not the extra low. I'll try it at the extra low and the next level up (above low) and see how it feels. Alignment seems ok...it doesn't pull, just not composed.
I can tell the difference between normal and low with respect to quicker and more precise turn in when set to low. I have cross climate SUV tires. An alignment is the cheapest place to start.

I’ve never driven any sporty cars or SUVs so I don’t have any direct comparisons but compared to my mini van and rav4 it’s far and above the best handling vehicle I’ve ever owned. Reading the forums for a while it’s well accepted that from the the factory an “in spec” alignment can be aligned much better.

Just saw this thread. Remember you are basically driving a small minivan, so it's not going to feel anything like a Porsche! I have a MXP and a Taycan and they're not even in the same ballpark when it comes to sporty ride/stability/handling/steering. To try and extract some more feel from my MXP I did an alignment, switched the yoke out for the steering wheel, and installed Unplugged's rear sway bars on full stiff setting (the sway bars made quite a big difference for me). When my factory 20-inch A/S tires wear out I'm going to try the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV and see how that feels. Not expecting a miracle here, but every little bit will help.

All season tires do not offer performance, you need sticky summer tires, the suspension brace bars, and possibly change the springs as well. To make it a performance car. The plaid only offers straight away performance not curves or track performance. Modifications will be needed as you all need to understand it’s can’t weigh as much too.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
Just saw this thread. Remember you are basically driving a small minivan, so it's not going to feel anything like a Porsche! I have a MXP and a Taycan and they're not even in the same ballpark when it comes to sporty ride/stability/handling/steering. To try and extract some more feel from my MXP I did an alignment, switched the yoke out for the steering wheel, and installed Unplugged's rear sway bars on full stiff setting (the sway bars made quite a big difference for me). When my factory 20-inch A/S tires wear out I'm going to try the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV and see how that feels. Not expecting a miracle here, but every little bit will help.
I could never go back to a wheel. Yoke is way too confidence inspiring at speed.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer

Alignment is much more than just perceived pulling. Get it aligned and road force balanced.

I’ve had my Xp with 20” up to 163 (limited, yes the webpage limit is wrong, at least for my 20” plaid) and sustained at ~100 and it isn’t like the S but fine for what it is.

German performance vehicles tend to be tuned to provide confident high speed feel on their unlimited speed Autobans. American cars often feel floaty in comparison. The best ones tend to also be higher priced than a Tesla.

I find the Adaptive Air Suspension to provide a good comprimise between daily comfortable driving and high speed American highway driving.

As others have mentioned, tire selection can effect confident feel greatly.

Imagine the latest track mode will address this as well.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
Alignment is much more than just perceived pulling. Get it aligned and road force balanced.

I’ve had my Xp with 20” up to 163 (limited, yes the webpage limit is wrong, at least for my 20” plaid) and sustained at ~100 and it isn’t like the S but fine for what it is.
I don’t have summer tires but have had my XP up to 165 with 20’s– though it briefly charged hard up to 167 before easing back down to 165. Straight line of course. It would be interesting if they made the track package available for the Model X Plaid. I’d go for it.

Reactions: EightBitWhit