Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lady Called Police on Dog in Car with Dog Mode Running!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
l
Since this thread is already all over the place:

Also, regarding C/F, for me, I switched to C for everything. The problem with using F was that my life was in F, except for flying, which is in C. I constantly had to convert those values in my head, which was a pain. Finally decided to switch over the rest of my world and now just live in C. Took less than a month to change my mindset, but it’s so much easier to deal with now. It’s also a fun running joke with my friends and coworkers when I tell them what the weather is like outside...

I understand what you're saying. But if you live in the US, how did you switch over and just use C? Every newscast, radio report and person is going to give you the temp in F. So you still have to convert to C.

l

I understand what you're saying. But if you live in the US, how did you switch over and just use C? Every newscast, radio report and person is going to give you the temp in F. So you still have to convert to C.
Just internalize the temperatures. Don't try to convert temperatures in your head. Or print out my Centigrade for Dummies chart from a few pages upthread.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Weel, in case 6 pages of answers to this thread is not enough,
here another issue with dogs used by the Police:

California police say K9 died in hot patrol car (CNN)

The department said its K9 vehicles have "fail/safe equipment that is meant to generate an alert,
" but it might not have been working, the statement said.
The department statement said K9 handlers are checking their heat system controllers before every shift.

Cool outside doesn't mean cool in the car (HumaneSociety,org)

When it's 80 degrees Fahrenheit outside, the temperature inside your car can heat up to 99 degrees Fahrenheit within 10 minutes.

I didn't get checked by the cops, but a similar thing happened to me this summer in Toronto. A very concerned woman and her daughter were watching me anxiously when I returned to our dog-moded car, with Piper looking plaintively out the window. I had to explain to the woman that it was an electric car, that the AC was on, etc., etc. Needless to say, most people have no clue about this capability. It would be great if Tesla figured out a better signage system so that anxious people in the parking lot don't fret, debating whether to call the police or take a hammer to the back window.

SOMEONE CALL THE FIRE DEPT!

20190911_120126.jpg

These laws are complete BS too. A locked and running/conditioned CAR is no different than my locked and running/conditioned HOUSE. My pets are safe, comfortable and provided for. There’s no legal justification for breaking into my functioning house and shouldn’t be any legal protection for breaking into my safe and conditioned car.
That’s just incorrect in multiple ways. First, there’s just a plain obvious difference between a house and a vehicle. Second, a vehicle heats up much faster and retains that heat in a smaller space with very little ventilation compared to a house.

Laws will need to catch up, but Teslas are a very small portion of vehicles today. Educating people about Dog Mode is a rather small task, and nothing in the stories shared here about police checking up when a pet-in-vehicle is reported resulted in anything more than a simple conversation.

The laws that permit breaking into the vehicle are primarily meant as a deterrent for the behavior of leaving animals unsafely in vehicles.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gondi63 and erik_k
How about activating the interior camera so you can snap a picture of your dog for the screen. That might get some attention.
Or better yet, use an A pillar camera to snap a picture of the peeper, displayed on screen with the text, "Hey, thanks for checking on me! The temp in here is a perfect xx, the air conditioning is on, and you're being recorded! My owner will be back soon... Maybe even sooner as I just sent word to him/her that someone is peeping inside at me!"

Last edited:
It's a new implementation of existing technology and it's a risk because communities are not educated on it and some people don't read or refuse to read as a principle.

You are lucky that she didn't take the matter into her own hands and smash the glass.

You can legally break into a hot car to save a dog in California, but proceed at your own risk
According to the reporter, that law specifically requires a 911 response team to be present at the site of the break-in to OK it. That would require the government taking culpability for authorizing the break-in.
PURRFECT !!!

Now the scumbags breaking in are going to carry around pets (dead ones OK) to throw inside cars after they break in so they can be "Good Samaritans" instead of grand theft larceny thieves... and get the car owners arrested. WTF

Film at 11:00 in 3... 2... 1...
No, the law requires 911 response to be physically present, according to the reporter of that article. Throwing a dead cat in after would not work to use this as a loophole.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: Pkmmte and afadeev