Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Laguna Seca Track Day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@BigBluu Come join me, I'm registered for all three days. PCA-GGR DE #7

Thanks for invite, but can't do that weekend. I'm hoping to be there 10/21 though with NCRC (much cheaper too!) :D

So was at Sonoma this past Monday with SpeedSF, first track day with the 3. I was the only electric, and probably only one of three total sedans. It was a weekday, so smaller field.

My on track experience with it is similar to my previous S4. Both I had upgraded only to summer tires, semi-track pads and RBF600. They both are similar in power, weight and AWD. The weight and brakes are the biggest weaknesses. Best lap time in the 3 was a 2:09 vs 2:13 in the S4. My priority is to bring it back in one piece, not set records. Battery consumption was much better than expected after reading some of you using 50% and up per session. I was using about 25% per 20-min session, hitting the SC during lunch break. There was a free Chargepoint there, but almost useless as it was solar-powered. The only issue I had was getting the high brake temp warnings. Doing a slower lap in the 2:30's about every 3rd/4th lap got rid of it. Wish track mode was available for non-performance as well. Had many other drivers commenting how this was first time they saw an electric on track and asked about battery consumption and how cool it was flying across the front straight silently. Overall, had fun first time out with it and looking forward to Laguna next month.

Are you running the 3 at that event? I thought it was limited to Porsche cars only.

I’ll be back at Laguna Seca on 10/26 with Speed SF. I was last there at TC4 too, and my personal best in my bone stock P3D+ was just into the 1’46”. Now that I have UP coilovers, sway bars, and RB rotors & pads, I’m hoping to drop that by at least 2 seconds :D
Ditto that.

Yes, I will be running my 3 at the Porsche event. I ran in that same triple day event some 10yrs ago in my 2003 MINI Cooper S. Porsche club cares more about the driver qualification (safe and proper track etiquette) than the car. I will need to do a few safety check laps with an instructor before I'm signed off to drive on my own, which is fine by me.

Wait a minute, are you able to bring your Tesla to a PCA event? I will be running my Porsche at the DE... perhaps I should bring the S? :cool:

Wait a minute, are you able to bring your Tesla to a PCA event? I will be running my Porsche at the DE... perhaps I should bring the S? :cool:
If you ask nicely, especially when they can’t fill all the spots with P cars. In general car people are just nice. Plus driving a Tesla at the track, doesn’t meant I don’t have a P car at home. Worst case scenario, I’ll flash them my Taycan reservation. 2nd fastest 4dr EV on Nürburgring.

Last edited:
If you ask nicely, especially when they can’t fill all the spots with P cars. In general car people are just nice. Plus driving a Tesla at the track, doesn’t meant I don’t have a P car at home. Worst case scenario, I’ll flash them my Taycan reservation. 2nd fastest 4dr EV on Nürburgring.
So you are going to keep the Taycan instead of Plaid Model S?

I see a lot of people using UMC Gen 1 to get that crucial bit more juice (40A) while trackside.

Well here's a way to get even more amperage (48A) from a 14-50 plug. This has been posted in the past, but I haven't seen it discussed in regards to track days.

This is basically a portable Tesla Wall Connector.

Tesla Wall Connector Installation

Also, you wouldn't want to buy the Tesla Wall Connector with the 14-50 plug already attached because those are limited to 40A which is the same as UMC Gen 1.