Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Laguna Seca Track Day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologize in advance for the super shaky video. A new camera/phone mount is needed. A driver upgrade is required to maximize the car's potential. ;) This was on 8/30/2019 with Northern California Racing Club.

This first video is P3 going through traffic.

This is PB, 1:46:11, looking to get down into the low 40s.

Looking forward to getting more seat time in the coming months It is good to be tracking after a ten-year hiatus.

Apologize in advance for the super shaky video. A new camera/phone mount is needed. A driver upgrade is required to maximize the car's potential. ;) This was on 8/30/2019 with Northern California Racing Club.

This first video is P3 going through traffic.

This is PB, 1:46:11, looking to get down into the low 40s.

Looking forward to getting more seat time in the coming months It is good to be tracking after a ten-year hiatus.

Nice run at 1:46... you should plan to join us at the annual EV ReFuel event in June at Laguna Seca. :cool:

REFUEL 11 - Clean Power Motorsports Event

Refule Cars Beginner-Session 3 (corkscrew)-LS2_4433_Jun3019_CaliPhoto.jpg

P3D setup
  • Bridgestone RE71R 265/35/19 - 35psi hot
  • FastWheels FC04 19x9.5+35
  • @MountainPass Sports Coilover (4/4 on all fours)
  • @UnpluggedP F/R swaybars (Soft/Med)
  • Racing Brake front 380mm BBK, Racing Brake rear 335x21mm 2-piece rotor.
  • Racing Brake XT970 brake pad F/R - no fade
  • Motul 660 - no fade/no boil
I had used Porterfield R4 as a cleaner pad the day before the track day to clean off uneven pad material deposit from the previous track day. It took three full sessions for the XT970 clean off the R4 and fully bedded itself on the rotor. Once it is fully bedded, it worked well.

Last edited:
P3D setup
  • Bridgestone RE71R 265/35/19
  • FastWheels FC04 19x9.5+35
  • @MountainPass Sports Coilover (4/4 on all fours)
  • @UnpluggedP F/R swaybars (Soft/Med)
  • Racing Brake front 380mm BBK, Racing Brake rear 335x21mm 2-piece rotor.
  • Racing Brake XT970 brake pad F/R
I had used Porterfield R4 as a cleaner pad the day before the track day to clean off uneven pad material deposit from the previous track day. It took three full sessions for the XT970 clean off the R4 and fully bedded itself on the rotor. Once it is fully bedded, it worked well.

Great video! Can you explain more about the uneven pad deposits and cleaning them off?

@2:17, passes an NSX like it's an anchor . . .

Great driving, and great to see you out there! Next time, I'd love a ride if we can make it work!

PS I love your line through 3. I always felt like I couldn't get 3 right, but it clicked for me on Friday and I'm doing it similarly to you - turn in point is right where the outer curb tapers in. Makes for a nice mid/late apex.

Last edited:
Reactions: bhzmark
@2:17, passes an NSX like it's an anchor . . .

Great driving, and great to see you out there! Next time, I'd love a ride if we can make it work!

PS I love your line through 3. I always felt like I couldn't get 3 right, but it clicked for me on Friday and I'm doing it similarly to you - turn in point is right where the outer curb tapers in. Makes for a nice mid/late apex.

The NSX lifted to let me pass. Our cars have great acceleration from 0 to 60, but from 70+ it is not as fast as an comparable HP ICE car.

You are too kind. The turns that I'm comfortable but still have room for improvement are 3, 4, 8a/b, 9, 10. Rest of the turns I need so much more work. :D

Great video! Can you explain more about the uneven pad deposits and cleaning them off?

In the ideal world, through meticulous bedding process and patience, a perfectly even layer of pad material is coated onto the friction surface of the rotor. It would look like a dark sheen across the friction surface. Unfortunately, sometime when try to rush the bedding process, an uneven coat is laid on the rotor. Visually you can spot this on the friction surface of the rotor with patches of dark and light sheens and/or dark concentric streaks. If you look around the paddock next time at the track, most of the car will have some level of uneven bedding. Sometimes when you baby the brake, you will be able to even out the material to a level where it isn't going to impact the brake performance. In other times, the unevenness keeps on building to the point where you will feel a vibration in the steering wheel when the brake is applied. Some will falsely diagnose this as wrapped rotor. While actual wrapping of the metal rotor does happen, but it is much rarer than uneven pad material deposit. This could happen to any brand of pad.

IMG_0590.JPG

Here is my rotor after track day in June at Laguna Seca. Note the dark and light batches.

IMG_2621.jpg

Here is a photo taken at the same event of Sasha's record setting P3D. Note the dark and light batches as well, but not as bad as mine.

IMG_3503.JPG

This photo is of a clean rotor after driving with Porterfield R4 for 50 miles on low regen. R4 is a semi-metallic full race compound, and its abrasive quality acts as steel wool to remove any lesser pad material from the rotor. The caution is it will take the lesser compound to wear off the R4 before it could bed itself on the rotor. The manual way to remove pad material is using steel wool and ammonia based cleaner, this is the gentlest on the rotor, but time consuming and labor intensive. Or lathe it, but it will most likely remove metal and make the rotor thinner.

I am so dizzy right now.

Lol I couldn’t finish watching the vid..even though I wanted to....because I was getting nauseous.

The NSX lifted to let me pass. Our cars have great acceleration from 0 to 60, but from 70+ it is not as fast as an comparable HP ICE car.

That’s the only thing that’s disappointing to me. What comparable HP ICE do you think our cars accelerate as fast as and or faster 70+?

Still counts! You caught them so you were clearly doing faster lap times.

You are too kind. The turns that I'm comfortable but still have room for improvement are 3, 4, 8a/b, 9, 10. Rest of the turns I need so much more work. :D

In my (momentum) car, the absolute key to Laguna lap times are turns 5 and 6 because they're uphill and I have no power. Not sure where the make/break corners are in the Tesla. Maybe 6 is a place to focus because you're already above 70mph? 6 is so butt-puckery if you hit it fast, though . . .

Reactions: beastmode13
@beastmode13 Can you share how you charged your car there, or at SC mid-day, etc? And did you do a slower lap every other lap (or every third lap) to cool down brakes/battery a bit? I'm hoping to get out there next month with NCRC as well. How was Andretti Hairpin (turn 2) towards end of each session? That turn took a toll on my brakes in my previous S4, which weighed about same as the 3. I could not go in 100% towards end of a session (no BBK, just pads/fluid). I'd imagine same thing for the 3 for ones without BBK.

@beastmode13 Can you share how you charged your car there, or at SC mid-day, etc? And did you do a slower lap every other lap (or every third lap) to cool down brakes/battery a bit? I'm hoping to get out there next month with NCRC as well. How was Andretti Hairpin (turn 2) towards end of each session? That turn took a toll on my brakes in my previous S4, which weighed about same as the 3. I could not go in 100% towards end of a session (no BBK, just pads/fluid). I'd imagine same thing for the 3 for ones without BBK.
@mcbarnet007 and a few others are doing fine with stock brake and aftermarket pads + fluid + F/R heat shield removed. And he is faster than me. LOL

NCRC runs five sessions. Top off 100% at Seaside or Salinas by the time you get to paddock you will have 92%, 90% respectively. If you can get a good samaritan that rented a garage to let use you the RV outlet in the garage to trickle charge before the first session. If not, it's no big deal. For me, each lap takes 4~5% of charge. The first session I would do eight fast laps or get to about 55~60% of charge remaining. Second session, get as many laps as possible till 10% charge left, then drive to Seaside for Supercharge and lunch. Session 3, run full out for the entire 20min then head to Supercharge to top off to 100%. Fourth session is toss away since I'm at Seaside charging. Fifth session, run full out until the checker flag. For me this is worked well, since this gets my mind warm up in the morning for two full throttle sessions in the afternoon. This is an excellent strategy that @mcbarnet007 shared with me.

PCCA is doing a triple day 10/18,19,20, I am going to register for 10/19&20 for sure. Someone could do a four day Laguna Seca super weekend, 18, 19, 20, 21. @Lucky13 this has your name all over it.

Last edited: