Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was a great time. Ended up burning thru a set and half or rear pads over the course of three days. On the way home I had to swap pads(it was metal on metal) at the supercharger in Salinas, got plenty of funny stares.

Can't wait to get back out there going to get into the 1.42s next time, I was so close with a 1.43.1.
close but no cigar.

I need new tires and will be buying some unplugged rear pads to help with issues I was having. Also hoping to see MPP front camber kit coming out soon. I think it will save front tires and make the car handle better.

Special thnx to @mcbarnet007 for going to my house and picking up my extra set pads. He is my hero.

Maybe you can go faster without brakes!

Interesting.. maybe I'll check my rear brakes again.. or maybe you were just having more fun! :)

He was the fastest person on street TW200 tires so he was pushing very hard. The stock brake pad compounds's temperature range is pretty limited. Once a brake pad overheat, it will melt away at a much higher rate than normal.

@Lucky13 I have the UPP rear pads, they last much longer than oem but you'll be cleaning your wheel every week. Coating your wheels will help.

<From Blog> So we learned something valuable here and we’re going to be making a post about how to torque and inspect these bolts after each lapping day.

Still looking forward to this blog post. Very curious to see the pictures of the particular bolt in question just to make sure we're not all going to lose it on the track or at autocross.

Reactions: Zoomit
I hope one day we can design a race car that the regen is enoughly strong to get rid of frictional brakes. A race car has no need to completely stop on the track, so in theory that is viable. Maybe tesla can explore what maxwell's super capacitor can do.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. The cap can store the energy from braking and release it to give you boost out of corner. However, I think the current capacitor energy density is that there yet and it adds additional weight to the car which is a no no on the race track.

I hope one day we can design a race car that the regen is enoughly strong to get rid of frictional brakes. A race car has no need to completely stop on the track, so in theory that is viable. Maybe tesla can explore what maxwell's super capacitor can do.
power = mass * velocity * acceleration
To decelerate at 1G at 120mph would require 1 Megawatt of regen. Going to be tough!
Wolfram|Alpha: Making the world’s knowledge computable

Reactions: MountainPass
He was the fastest person on street TW200 tires so he was pushing very hard. The stock brake pad compounds's temperature range is pretty limited. Once a brake pad overheat, it will melt away at a much higher rate than normal.

@Lucky13 I have the UPP rear pads, they last much longer than oem but you'll be cleaning your wheel every week. Coating your wheels will help.
I'll change pads before and after event. Never knew how much I hated brake dust until I got an EV. @mcbarnet007 when is your next track day?

I guess such a hard usage of rear brake is from flooring it very early to power of the corner?

I guess such a hard usage of rear brake is from flooring it very early to power of the corner?
Not sure, but my guess is the traction control is working hard to make the car do what I ask of it and is applying the rear brakes a bunch to help it rotate or something fancy like that. What felt like my fastest times were when the traction control barely intervened.

Following Craig on the last session of of Saturday was amazing. We had the whole track to our selves for a session and really had some fun, Craig can fricking drive and made me realize I was braking way too soon on for turn one( I was scared...LOL)..I probably picked up a second in the section alone. I was hoping to have Sasha ride along or drive my car but he was forcing Jesse to align or bleed the brakes on their car the whole time, Sasha is so demanding.:) It was really cool to see what @MountainPass was able to do with the car, they killed it.

In all honesty I feel like my car is too easy to drive, I kind of miss a car that makes you work for it. But then again after all long track day driving home on autopilot is amazeballs. For the start of a production performance EV the model 3 is really on point. I imagine things will only get better from here.