TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Lane Departure/Blind spot wheel vibration

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by pete8314, Jun 28, 2016.

1. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

I've had my 2016 P90D for a week or so now, and love all the new tech. However, the lane departure and blind spot warnings seem incredibly subtle. I assume it's a fault, but wanted to check.

When I switch lanes without signalling, I can hear the vibration in the wheel, and if I really concentrate, I can just about separate the warning vibration in the wheel from the standard road vibration. My assumption is that it would be akin to driving over a rumble strip, and enough to catch my attention if I'm dozing off or texting. As it stands, I wouldn't notice it at all if I wasn't paying attention, which defeats the purpose. Just me? Time to book it in?

2. DoubleE

DoubleE Member

Interesting, I can't hear anything I can only feel a subtle vibration in the steering wheel.

They really need to add a chime for blind spot warning. I never look down when switching lanes - I check my mirrors. Definitely a design flaw.

3. chillaban

chillaban Member

I came from a car with an extremely aggressive LDW system that even nudges the wheel and fakes resistance when it thinks you're going over a lane boundary, and I have to say, it's kind of annoying because it usually triggers when you're trying to make a subtle lane change or it's mis-reading construction zone lane boundaries.

The manual claims that the lane departure warning system will chime or jerk the wheel if a lane departure corresponds with your side ultrasonic "whiskers" going into the red zone, which is just a few inches from the car next to you.

So most likely the intervention only happens when you are pretty close to hitting someone beside you — a lot closer than an attentive driver ever wants to get to another car beside them.

4. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Hmm, so it really is that subtle then? For me it's almost pointless, unless the road is glassy-smooth.

5. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Maybe give yourself more time to get used to the car. I find the vibration more than adequate. Any more and I'd probably get annoyed by it going off.

• Like x 1
  6. liuping

liuping Active Member

To me it feels about like when I drive over the line on a road that has a fairly high number of Botts' Dots, which seems about right.

7. DoubleE

DoubleE Member

The car does a great job of moving over whenever the motorcycles lane split.

Definitely moves over significantly within the lane. Impressive.

8. chillaban

chillaban Member

It doesn't seem ridiculously subtle. As you get used to how the steering wheel feels over time, I think you'll recognize the low-frequency rumbling of the LDW vs the standard road feel.

Or maybe you drive over lane lines too frequently to feel it? (HAHA kidding. I've assumed that some people must also think it's normal to constantly hear the sounds of others honking at them wherever they go….)

9. Big-Al

Big-Al Member

I've had a S70D for a week and find the rumbling sound/vibration annoying. Can't it be turned off in the control panel?

10. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Yes, it's just a slider in the Driver Assist settings.

• Like x 1
  11. chillaban

chillaban Member

Yep, it's "Lane Departure Warning" in your driver settings. You can even turn that off while keeping side collision warning on (which will only warn you if you're about to hit a car next to you)

• Like x 1
  12. Jim R

Jim R Member

I don't have a Tesla yet, so I can't answer your question about turning off the feature. But my present car does the same thing - vibrate the steering wheel if I depart my lane without using the turn signals. So the answer is - use turn signals. To not use them is illegal and dangerous to yourself and others. The whole idea of the LDW is to warn a driver who is drifting off to sleep or not paying attention to the road (texting, looking at a map or otherwise distracted). Is it worth it to turn that off?

Now, the false signals from phantom lines on the road are another matter - I wonder when they will be able to program those out. How many more cameras and computers will it take?

13. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Member

The lane departure warning is very annoying on narrow country lanes around here, where I will inevitably cross the centre-line when taking corners that I can easily see around ...

• Like x 1
  14. Redmiata98

Redmiata98 Member

The LDW used to be MUCH more agressive when it was first introduced but has been toned down some since. Having experienced the old and new in my former P85+ Model S, I think they have it exactly right now.

• Informative x 1