Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane Departure/Blind spot wheel vibration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my 2016 P90D for a week or so now, and love all the new tech. However, the lane departure and blind spot warnings seem incredibly subtle. I assume it's a fault, but wanted to check.

When I switch lanes without signalling, I can hear the vibration in the wheel, and if I really concentrate, I can just about separate the warning vibration in the wheel from the standard road vibration. My assumption is that it would be akin to driving over a rumble strip, and enough to catch my attention if I'm dozing off or texting. As it stands, I wouldn't notice it at all if I wasn't paying attention, which defeats the purpose. Just me? Time to book it in?

I've had my 2016 P90D for a week or so now, and love all the new tech. However, the lane departure and blind spot warnings seem incredibly subtle. I assume it's a fault, but wanted to check.

When I switch lanes without signalling, I can hear the vibration in the wheel, and if I really concentrate, I can just about separate the warning vibration in the wheel from the standard road vibration. My assumption is that it would be akin to driving over a rumble strip, and enough to catch my attention if I'm dozing off or texting. As it stands, I wouldn't notice it at all if I wasn't paying attention, which defeats the purpose. Just me? Time to book it in?

Interesting, I can't hear anything I can only feel a subtle vibration in the steering wheel.

They really need to add a chime for blind spot warning. I never look down when switching lanes - I check my mirrors. Definitely a design flaw.

I came from a car with an extremely aggressive LDW system that even nudges the wheel and fakes resistance when it thinks you're going over a lane boundary, and I have to say, it's kind of annoying because it usually triggers when you're trying to make a subtle lane change or it's mis-reading construction zone lane boundaries.

The manual claims that the lane departure warning system will chime or jerk the wheel if a lane departure corresponds with your side ultrasonic "whiskers" going into the red zone, which is just a few inches from the car next to you.

So most likely the intervention only happens when you are pretty close to hitting someone beside you — a lot closer than an attentive driver ever wants to get to another car beside them.

Hmm, so it really is that subtle then? For me it's almost pointless, unless the road is glassy-smooth.
It doesn't seem ridiculously subtle. As you get used to how the steering wheel feels over time, I think you'll recognize the low-frequency rumbling of the LDW vs the standard road feel.

Or maybe you drive over lane lines too frequently to feel it? (HAHA kidding. I've assumed that some people must also think it's normal to constantly hear the sounds of others honking at them wherever they go….)

I've had a S70D for a week and find the rumbling sound/vibration annoying. Can't it be turned off in the control panel?
I don't have a Tesla yet, so I can't answer your question about turning off the feature. But my present car does the same thing - vibrate the steering wheel if I depart my lane without using the turn signals. So the answer is - use turn signals. To not use them is illegal and dangerous to yourself and others. The whole idea of the LDW is to warn a driver who is drifting off to sleep or not paying attention to the road (texting, looking at a map or otherwise distracted). Is it worth it to turn that off?

Now, the false signals from phantom lines on the road are another matter - I wonder when they will be able to program those out. How many more cameras and computers will it take?