Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Large Drop in Charge When Parked in the Cold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am on 1.15.14. My car was delivered on 10/30, and neither the Menlo Park service manager nor Ownership have been able to determine why I haven't received the 4.0 upgrade.

Do you have any guess on what 60% SOC represents in terms of "ideal" range?

Around 180 miles I think (300 ideal miles with 265 rated miles). Hope you get the update soon.

I don't think we are off topic. The question I posed was whether keeping the car plugged in would in fact keep the battery charged, since I haven't seen that happen with my Model S.

Okay, but the tone of the posts now seem to imply that when plugged in the MS loses charge. I think that has got me a bit confused. I can understand why when unplugged it would lose charge, but I have no idea why it would lose charge when plugged in. So why are folks posting that the MS loses charge when plugged in?

Around 180 miles I think (300 ideal miles with 265 rated miles). Hope you get the update soon.

Thanks, I did not realize it was linear. :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, but the tone of the posts now seem to imply that when plugged in the MS loses charge. I think that has got me a bit confused. I can understand why when unplugged it would lose charge, but I have no idea why it would lose charge when plugged in. So why are folks posting that the MS loses charge when plugged in?

It loses charge because of conditioning the battery when cold and keeping various electronics running. Apparently, once a charge is complete it will not "top off" until the State of Charge has dropped enough so that repeated charging will not reduce the life of the battery.

It loses charge because of conditioning the battery when cold and keeping various electronics running. Apparently, once a charge is complete it will not "top off" until the State of Charge has dropped enough so that repeated charging will not reduce the life of the battery.

According to Tesla charging in Standard mode does not reduce the life of the battery. Charging in Range mode does. I believe that in Standard mode the car will repeatedly top off to achieve 240 miles. So far each morning the range of my car has remained between 238 and 241 miles when charging in Standard mode. If the frequency of topping off were say daily I would expect a much larger variation in the range in the morning.

Larry

According to Tesla charging in Standard mode does not reduce the life of the battery. Charging in Range mode does. I believe that in Standard mode the car will repeatedly top off to achieve 240 miles. So far each morning the range of my car has remained between 238 and 241 miles when charging in Standard mode. If the frequency of topping off were say daily I would expect a much larger variation in the range in the morning.

Larry

I am not sure if this is true. If I do not use the car for a few days, the range will drop to the low 200's- while plugged in. Tesla also said that charging in standard mode does not reduce the life of the battery on the Roadster yet they implemented "storage" mode. When a Roadster is put in storage mode, the vehicle bleeds miles until it reaches a particular SOC.

Tesla also said that charging in standard mode does not reduce the life of the battery on the Roadster yet they implemented "storage" mode. When a Roadster is put in storage mode, the vehicle bleeds miles until it reaches a particular SOC.

From the Model S Owners Manual (also displayed when selecting the charging mode) :

Two Charge Levels
• By default, Model Scharges to the STANDARD charge level, which provides the fastest charging time and maximizes the life of the Battery by charging it to only 90% of its full capacity.
• To achieve the maximum driving range, you can change the charge level to MAX RANGE. Although this setting charges the battery to full capacity, avoid using it frequently because it reduces the life of the Battery.

Dennis posted:

Apparently, once a charge is complete it will not "top off" until the State of Charge has dropped enough so that repeated charging will not reduce the life of the battery.

Tesla is saying that repeated charging in Standard mode maximizes battery life so it does not necessarily follow that topping off would have an unduly negative effect on battery life since it is only charging to 90% of its full capacity.

Larry

Tesla is saying that repeated charging in Standard mode maximizes battery life so it does not necessarily follow that topping off would have an unduly negative effect on battery life since it is only charging to 90% of its full capacity.

It seems that we need to establish two things:

1) When the car remains plugged in after completing a Standard charge, at what point (State of Charge?, timer?) does the Model S re-initiate charging to bring the battery back to "full"?

2) Is that the correct/intended behavior?

Several answers to 1) have been postulated, including hourly, daily, and at a particular SOC. AFAIK, no one has yet verified the actual behavior nor found a statement of the intended behavior in any Tesla documentation.

It seems that we need to establish two things:

1) When the car remains plugged in after completing a Standard charge, at what point (State of Charge?, timer?) does the Model S re-initiate charging to bring the battery back to "full"?

2) Is that the correct/intended behavior?

Several answers to 1) have been postulated, including hourly, daily, and at a particular SOC. AFAIK, no one has yet verified the actual behavior nor found a statement of the intended behavior in any Tesla documentation.
While interesting, shouldn't all that be in a different thread? This thread is about what happens if a Tesla is left in the cold for an extended period of time when not plugged in (note the thread title).

While interesting, shouldn't all that be in a different thread? This thread is about what happens if a Tesla is left in the cold for an extended period of time when not plugged in (note the thread title).

While the mods should feel free to move it to a new thread, the reason I posted it here is that I believe that the car may continue to lose charge even when plugged in.

While the mods should feel free to move it to a new thread, the reason I posted it here is that I believe that the car may continue to lose charge even when plugged in.

I've been monitoring mine since I'm away for a week... the lowest I saw rated range get to, so far, is 231. The next time I checked it (many hours later) it was 237. I'll continue to watch over the course of the week...
(Software version 4.1)

I've been monitoring mine since I'm away for a week... the lowest I saw rated range get to, so far, is 231. The next time I checked it (many hours later) it was 237. I'll continue to watch over the course of the week...
(Software version 4.1)

Since you are away and monitoring, does that mean you are beta testing the Remote App? If so, does that make any difference to the charging regime? Or do you have a human that is checking range for you? :biggrin:

Anyone have their charging circuit independently metered with something like a TED 5000? Reviewing those logs would definitively show when the car is drawing shore power and when it's not.

Stevezzzz does:

My solar PV system sends data to a central repository that allows me to go online and see time plots of both the electricity generated by the solar panels and the electricity used throughout my home. See Currently Connected Devices and click through to see any of the connected devices (anonymously, of course).

(Feel free to move to Vampire Load if appropriate.)

Last edited:
I had a friend of mine pick mine up from the airport as I did not want to risk a stalled vehicle when I came back into town from vacation. He reported 143 ideal miles at the airport. When I left the vehicle 40 or so hours ago, it had a range of 217 miles.

This is the one thing that concerns me about the Model S. I will frequently use it to get to our cabin in the mountains, where there is no grid power. Only solar, which is too small to charge the S, and a Honda EU6500iS generator which I want to run as little as possible.

I will probably mostly arrive with 50-60% SOC remaining and might stay for up to 5 days in temperatures as low as -20degF in winter. I have taken the Leaf several times and it uses very little power in that scenario. If the battery gets down to -4degF or so it will use the 300W battery heater to heat it to around 7degF. At this temperature it is nearly impossible to charge the Leaf (charging power was down to ~500W at ~83% SOC) but driving was no problem at all. No regen for a while of course.

If the Model S attempts to keep the battery at an optimal driving temperature all the time I will have to run the generator a lot every day. That I seriously want to avoid. What I need the car to do is get to a "deep sleep" state where most electronics are powered off (I don't car if the screens take 2 minutes to boot up) and the battery temperature management only keeps the battery as warm as it needs to be to avoid damage. In the event that I suddenly have to drive the car I don't care if I have no regen and the power is limited to 50kW.

When I want to leave, after say 5 days, I'd ideally power up the generator for an hour or so, then waking up the car and letting it heat up the cabin and battery to optimum driving temperature (preferably with full regen as it is an hour of downhill driving first). The generator can deliver 24A@230V (5.5kW) continously which should be more than enough.

So here's hoping for a future "deep sleep/storage mode" software feature before I have to configure my car. I guess quite a few others also would like this fetaure.