TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Late 2016 / Early 2017 S Owners: How Are Your Daytime Running Lights Holding Up?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by houstonian, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Mike Robinson

Mike Robinson Member

my biggest problem with this issue is that I have PPF on the front end, including headlights. So, every time a headlight is replaced, I have to get new PPF installed on it. That’s not cheap.

2. cucubits

cucubits Active Member

But knowing that these lights are so bad to begin with, is there really a point in having ppf over them?

3. Mike Robinson

Mike Robinson Member

good point. I guess hope springs eternal that there will someday be a version of that headlight that won’t have to be replaced frequently

• Like x 1
  4. buzescu

buzescu Member

They may be losing serious money on these. June 2018 and they already replaced 5. One more incoming. Whoever makes them if not Tesla should be out of business by now.

• Like x 1
  5. BPeter

BPeter Member

Honestly it's surprising that Tesla is still replacing these. They stopped replacing the screens for yellowing and refuse to fix my instrument cluster screen with a yellow border. DRL's aren't legally mandated in the US are they? Or have they become? Maybe it's because they're considered a safety feature that they aren't refusing to replace.

6. buzescu

buzescu Member

Totally disagree. They are under warranty. The LCD is somehow different because they did come with a fix. They fixed for me both LCDs with the same tool.

7. cucubits

cucubits Active Member

Same! It's a poorly designed unit and Tesla should be held accountable for any part of it failing. It's totally on them for not doing proper QA and then not improving the design. So far, since I bought my S in December 2019, they replaced two headlights for this. With how far back this is going, and with the reports of way newer units failing too, I wouldn't hold my breath that they'll fix the problem anytime soon.

btw, Mr. buzescu, I like your name. Not many of us around here. S'trăiţi! ;)

• Like x 3
  8. BPeter

BPeter Member

Oh I'm not saying they shouldn't be replacing them, I'm just surprised they still are considering because of what they've shown with the screens.
    There is no IC fix yet they stopped replacing them.

9. BPeter

BPeter Member

Oh I didn't see the part where you said they fixed your IC screen. They told me that they couldn't fix my IC screen since the tool didn't work for it.

10. buzescu

buzescu Member

Correct they do not have the tool for it. But somehow they agreed to do it for me with the existing tool. They are saying they are working on a tool for the IC too.

11. Science fan

Science fan Member

June 2016 build S70 (75) driver's side halo light very dim, needs replacement. 46,000 miles. Will get it done next week, just before warranty expires. This is literally the only issue I have had since the car was new.

12. jfoxny

jfoxny Member

Two more replacements for me. Driver side failed a couple of weeks ago and now the passenger one is out too. So that makes 6 or 7 for me. Both covered under parts warranty.

Tesla tech indicated there is no new revision so I expect to be replacing them again in a year or so. Can’t believe they haven’t produced a fix yet. Must be costing them (or their vendor) a fortune.

13. cucubits

cucubits Active Member

Constantly changing them, even if under warranty, is not a solution. To be honest, I wouldn't want a Tesla technician to disassemble my front end and take of the bumper that many times. Especially since the last one who did that, really was bad at his job. Pure luck that I was near him and noticed he had forgotten to put some bolts back *facepalm*.

14. buzescu

buzescu Member

They told me these are new revisions. Mine got changed in January and May, produced in Mexico in Jan and March, same part but for sure new revision.

15. rubyteg01

rubyteg01 New Member

Both of my headlights on my 2016 model S have the drl burned out. This is my 3rd set on one side and second set on the other. I am out of warranty. The newest part numbers are
    1053570-00-F
    1053571-00-F

My current ones are revision D. Can anyone with the F revision comment if the DRL last longer?

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  16. too much vtak

too much vtak what the frunk?!

FYI for anyone that is interested. My passenger headlight failed again (twice on driver, twice now on passenger) and out of warranty. I took a risk and bought a used headlight on eBay and installed it myself. Pretty simple process to take off the bumper and replace. From what I've read on this forum and from Tesla directly, I was under the impression it was NOT plug-n-play and the firmware needed to be updated once the new light is installed. To my surprise, it was plug-n-play and worked immediately! IMG_2523.JPG 5R5jP9RlSrahpgCvRCB%Ow.jpg dTIfGivMSA6+5S8+15a7cg.jpg

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  17. cucubits

cucubits Active Member

Nice work!

That's what I heard too about the firmware being required but when a tech changed out mine, he said that there's a chance it's not needed. Mine also worked after he plugged them in but he also "refreshed" the firmware.

What are you going to do with the bad light? I would absolutely love to see a teardown and to find out what's the thing that lights up that DRL and how it works. Maybe we could even find out how/why it breaks.

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  18. zimeon

zimeon Member

Would definately want to see this as well. Quite a lot of them burning out and cars are out of warranty. This could perhaps be a DIY fix? One can always hope :)

19. SucreTease

SucreTease Teslarian

What is Tesla charging for replacing an LED headlight out-of-warranty?

20. cucubits

cucubits Active Member

I asked the tech this out of curiosity and he told me "around $1000". No idea how accurate this is but it's probably not far off.