Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Late 2016 / Early 2017 S Owners: How Are Your Daytime Running Lights Holding Up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we need to start writing to Jalopnik + the media about this issue.

It's obvious Tesla doesn't care, but the fact is it's 2020 and they still can't figure out how to build a functioning headlight for the Model S. This should be recalled and replaced, and we should be provided with an extended warranty on the part just like Honda did when they had issues with DRL failure. Telsa needs to acknowledge the shoddy build quality. IMO.

Just a data point. Tesla mobile service came out to check my replaced left headlight last week. The normal Low beam was aiming waaaaay too low. Neither I nor the tech could get it to raise at all with the adjustment hex knob. He determined it was indeed faulty.

They are coming back this week to replace the whole light assembly (this will be the second new left headlight on my car).

Just a data point. Tesla mobile service came out to check my replaced left headlight last week. The normal Low beam was aiming waaaaay too low. Neither I nor the tech could get it to raise at all with the adjustment hex knob. He determined it was indeed faulty.

They are coming back this week to replace the whole light assembly (this will be the second new left headlight on my car).

Maybe there was a bad batch with faulty height adjusters. If you want to try, check my post from a couple pages earlier in this thread and see how I fixed it.

Maybe there was a bad batch with faulty height adjusters. If you want to try, check my post from a couple pages earlier in this thread and see how I fixed it.

Thanks for that. Just saw your posts. I may try that as my height adjuster was also just spinning freely. I think the mobile tech tried the lowering it approach...but not positive. He had it pretty low and was monkeying with it a bit that day. It's sort of in a 'medium-low' position now but definitely much lower than the right side.

Wednesday May 27th 2020

Now on my 6th (approx) replacement of both sides. Last one replaced April 2019. Right hand out again and service center refused warranty adjustment. Has anyone with this concern taken any further steps with Tesla? Granted I'm out of warranty but there is obviously a manufacturing defect in these units. LEDs should not last a year or less. Every other LED on the vehicle is still fine. Just these what I call DRL lights.

Thanks,

Now on my 6th (approx) replacement of both sides. Last one replaced April 2019. Right hand out again and service center refused warranty adjustment. Has anyone with this concern taken any further steps with Tesla? Granted I'm out of warranty but there is obviously a manufacturing defect in these units. LEDs should not last a year or less. Every other LED on the vehicle is still fine.
Are you still within the window to purchase the extended warranty? It might be worth it considering the cost of a headlamp.

Are you still within the window to purchase the extended warranty? It might be worth it considering the cost of a headlamp.
Hello,

Long since out. 167,000 miles.
If this was my 1st failure of them I would not be complaining. However it's the 6th...

They don't even last a year for me.

Hello,

Long since out. 167,000 miles.
If this was my 1st failure of them I would not be complaining. However it's the 6th...

They don't even last a year for me.

That is so weird. I have a Jan 2017 S90D with 47k miles and still on the first set, no problem. I wonder if there is something else in your vehicle that keeps burning them out.

Wednesday May 27th 2020

Now on my 6th (approx) replacement of both sides. Last one replaced April 2019. Right hand out again and service center refused warranty adjustment. Has anyone with this concern taken any further steps with Tesla? Granted I'm out of warranty but there is obviously a manufacturing defect in these units. LEDs should not last a year or less. Every other LED on the vehicle is still fine. Just these what I call DRL lights.

Thanks,
It’s a bummer they keep breaking but they really don’t owe you anything out of warranty.

how did you get a replacement a year ago if you’ve got 167k miles? Surely you didn’t drive 117k in a year. Did they goodwill it out of warranty or did you pay?

Reactions: FlatSix911
It’s a bummer they keep breaking but they really don’t owe you anything out of warranty.

how did you get a replacement a year ago if you’ve got 167k miles? Surely you didn’t drive 117k in a year. Did they goodwill it out of warranty or did you pay?
Less than one year since prior replacement. They did it on parts warranty.