Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Late 2016 / Early 2017 S Owners: How Are Your Daytime Running Lights Holding Up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Base is Rev E. Up-level is F. Log into Tesla parts catalog with your Tesla account credentials. epc.tesla.com

1694558875889.png

I just purchased and installed a 1053570-00-G driver side headlight bought off eBay for about $300 after tax. Has a 2021 build date on the label. As far as I know the G revision is the most current that would fit my 2016.5. It's definitely brighter than my original A revision passenger headlight (maybe due to age) so waiting on that side to crap out so I can replace it. Easy to install and no reprogramming needed. My headlight was squealing like a pig because some internal fan went haywire. Tesla quoted $1,500 for the headlight.

I just purchased and installed a 1053570-00-G driver side headlight bought off eBay for about $300 after tax. Has a 2021 build date on the label. As far as I know the G revision is the most current that would fit my 2016.5. It's definitely brighter than my original A revision passenger headlight (maybe due to age) so waiting on that side to crap out so I can replace it. Easy to install and no reprogramming needed. My headlight was squealing like a pig because some internal fan went haywire. Tesla quoted $1,500 for the headlight.
@SneepeZ That's interesting that you purchased a newer revision than the one in the Tesla parts catalog.

Reactions: hydro
Just came across this. The linked video shows them separating the lens from the housing with just a heat gun. I thought that wasn't doable with the glue that Tesla uses...

Reactions: tldickerson
@SneepeZ That's interesting that you purchased a newer revision than the one in the Tesla parts catalog.
When I had both my left and right headlights replaced under warranty in 2021 on my 2016.5 facelift, the RH UP-LEVEL one was the F revision noted in the parts catalog, but the LH UP-LEVEL one was the G revision. So just to note, the thing that is odd is the parts catalog, not the newer revision.

I have a spare Left/Driver side that barely started to yellow on the inner most 4-5 inches if anyone would like to try to rebuild it. Just bothered me enough to grab the new ones on eBay listed a bit back and replace it. PM me if interested in purchasing (not very active but will check periodically)
Just came across this. The linked video shows them separating the lens from the housing with just a heat gun. I thought that wasn't doable with the glue that Tesla uses...

I have been bugging them to post this video for some time now. I am surprised that it has already been posted here.

I am wondering if there are any garages in the UK that can get this done for me.

Attachments

• 2C230058-243F-439A-A36B-31ADF129D7AB.jpeg
    2C230058-243F-439A-A36B-31ADF129D7AB.jpeg
    241.9 KB · Views: 80
Reactions: David Harvey
Holy crap, am I ever clueless! Our right front headlight unit including blinker stopped working and I put in a service order. (We have 11 months and many miles left on extended warranty for 12/2016 S.) After a restart the lights came back but advisor recommended we keep our appointment for next week.

That’s good because I just noticed we have the infamous yellow on both DRLs. Not sure why I never noticed. Hopefully we get both headlight units replaced under warranty as many of you have. But I’m waiting for the rookie tech to say he’s never seen that issue😀

Holy crap, am I ever clueless! Our right front headlight unit including blinker stopped working and I put in a service order. (We have 11 months and many miles left on extended warranty for 12/2016 S.) After a restart the lights came back but advisor recommended we keep our appointment for next week.

That’s good because I just noticed we have the infamous yellow on both DRLs. Not sure why I never noticed. Hopefully we get both headlight units replaced under warranty as many of you have. But I’m waiting for the rookie tech to say he’s never seen that issue😀
Good luck! I hope they replace it under warranty! I was verbally quoted around $1,900 for ONE base version headlight (part only) at my local SC about a week ago.

Reactions: brkaus
Both mine on my refresh 2016 have failed and for that price you can get better performing headlights for ~$1900 for a pair, that crush the crappy lights on the Model S (2016+ - 2021). I ordered the Alpha Black headlights to contrast with my white car, which also has black wheels from ESECarbon Fiber Wheels.

Just ordered a complete new set from @TSportline

AlphaRex's on a Sienna:

Last edited:
Both mine on my refresh 2016 have failed and for that price you can get better performing headlights for ~$1900 for a pair, that crush the crappy lights on the Model S (2016+ - 2021). I ordered the Alpha Black headlights to contrast with my white car, which also has black wheels from ESECarbon Fiber Wheels.

Just ordered a complete new set from @TSportline

AlphaRex's on a Sienna:

Here is a video of the AlphaREX NOVA's on a Model 3... LUX output at 300 feet is 7.3 LUX!!!! which is huge, the 2016+ Tesla Model S can't output 5 LUX at 75 feet. He has a direct comparison @20:35 Projectors to AlphaREX. Any measurement below 6 LUX provides no illumination value while driving.(Source: IIHS)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SO16 and outdoors
Here is a video of the AlphaREX NOVA's on a Model 3... LUX output at 300 feet is 7.3 LUX!!!! which is huge, the 2016+ Tesla Model S can't output 5 LUX at 75 feet. He has a direct comparison @20:35 Projectors to AlphaREX. Any measurement below 6 LUX provides no illumination value while driving.(Source: IIHS)
Have you actually replaced yours? I am wondering how's the long term reliability stack up? I read the reviews on AlphaRex branded headlights for other vehicles are not so consistent and some times terrible.

Have you actually replaced yours? I am wondering how's the long term reliability stack up? I read the reviews on AlphaRex branded headlights for other vehicles are not so consistent and some times terrible.
Interesting, could you post some links to those reviews.... I just ordered them today, so no I don't have any reliability data.

The bar is so low with the legacy OEM lights, a freaking candle is going to be better, I am on my 3rd set of OEM head lights, the damn eyebrows burnout all the time and their is no way I am paying $1900 for one when I can pay $1900 for two with better specs.

I would be interested in your negative reviews on the AlphaREX NOVA... if you find something better, I would be interested.

Interesting, could you post some links to those reviews.... I just ordered them today, so no I don't have any reliability data.

The bar is so low with the legacy OEM lights, a freaking candle is going to be better, I am on my 3rd set of OEM head lights, the damn eyebrows burnout all the time and their is no way I am paying $1900 for one when I can pay $1900 for two with better specs.

I would be interested in your negative reviews on the AlphaREX NOVA... if you find something better, I would be interested.
If you google "alpharex headlights reliability" then you will see lots of results, including Amazon. Most bad reviews are from trucks, so I am skeptical about this company. Tesla replaced mine under ESA (YMMV), sad thing is the mobile tech told me it is going to go bad eventually.

If you google "alpharex headlights reliability" then you will see lots of results, including Amazon. Most bad reviews are from trucks, so I am skeptical about this company. Tesla replaced mine under ESA (YMMV), sad thing is the mobile tech told me it is going to go bad eventually.
I know they used to use off shore LED's, but in 2023, they changed sources and now use the OSRAM OSLON® Black Flat, KW H3L531.TE White LEDs - ams-osram - ams 1110 lm per cube would be impressive, potential maximum output would be 5550 lm, which is at parity with the best 55 watt HID and LED options on the market. BulbFacts | HID Chart (OEM), using only 47 watts at maximum output.

I read a bunch of the reviews on the Ford and Dodge forum, some of those users installed the product wrong, didn't use Dielectric grease and didn't seat connectors property causing intermittent issues. Believe me if they suck I will do a huge writeup and post it everywhere, if they last two years, without issues will be one of several things I will be monitoring. Issues with aftermarket, all our non Tesla cars have aftermarket lenses and HIDs from Morimoto so I have done a lot of retrofits. Issues are usually, hyperflashing due to reduced loads (easy to fix with a resister) or new LED capable relay. conflicts with computer controls (resolved with converters, which they also sell) and early burnout due to manufacturing or quality issues.

I did reach out to AlphaREX direct to ask questions and no one responded, which is an indicator that they might be a crappy company, Im about to find out.

Weird their warranty bans the use of dielectric grease and the warranty starts the day you place the order? I may pull the plug since they aren’t in stock yet.

“AlphaRex 2 years manufacturer warranty periods start on the date of purchase. You must be the original owner with proof of purchase upon claim or proof of product registration.”

“DO NOT use dielectric or any type of weather sealing grease on connectors or sockets. Doing so will result in connections problems and will not be covered under warranty. Please click HERE for further explanation.“