Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Late 2016 / Early 2017 S Owners: How Are Your Daytime Running Lights Holding Up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He offers a warranty throught your ownership. He's a solid dude. Does tons of custom work. Check put his ig https://instagram.com/swlights?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
I did contact SW Lights. Received a quick reply. He also offers rental/loner lights so you can keep using your car while they work in your lights.

I’m going to wait until summer but will probably go this route.

Reactions: P85D13
SW is down the street so I stopped by, they helped me purchase a used headlight and SW will install it. I’m gonna roll the dice to see if this holds me over for a few years. If it fails, I’ll go with their custom solution. They showed me a pile of dead led strips they’ve pulled from other S’s. Glad this forum spotlighted them. SW is like a minute away on the same road from the Agoura Tesla service center.

Mine are both out and I think it looks fine. It's a feature not a defect 😉
Same here - I lost one a few years ago and they replaced it under warranty. Mine are both out now and the local store said "hey we will replace those; great !! For $3994. Ummm .. I'm good thanks ha ha". The top part of the eyebrow are burned out the same way on both sides so it's symmetrical.

I think you can buy replacements aftermarket for a fraction of the cost but not in a rush to do that; the DRL and headlights are working fine; that's the part that matters.

Reactions: SO16
SW is down the street so I stopped by, they helped me purchase a used headlight and SW will install it. I’m gonna roll the dice to see if this holds me over for a few years. If it fails, I’ll go with their custom solution. They showed me a pile of dead led strips they’ve pulled from other S’s. Glad this forum spotlighted them. SW is like a minute away on the same road from the Agoura Tesla service center.
Update—done today, that was great, saved me over $1000 vs Tesla which is literally walking distance from SW.

Reactions: brkaus and SO16
Wow, I was going to update my pre-refresh HID headlights to the LED refresh. Already bought the G revisions on ebay and mapped out the wiring to the BCM. But after this thread, I may stick with the HIDs. The pre-refresh LED DRLs work perfectly still and very bright even in sunlight (although you can see the individual LEDs vs a nice smooth light pattern on the post-refresh).

Wow, I was going to update my pre-refresh HID headlights to the LED refresh. Already bought the G revisions on ebay and mapped out the wiring to the BCM. But after this thread, I may stick with the HIDs. The pre-refresh LED DRLs work perfectly still and very bright even in sunlight (although you can see the individual LEDs vs a nice smooth light pattern on the post-refresh).
Stick with what you have if they are still working well.

Sold my 2015 P85DL+ with perfectly working headlights and DRL last month, Our 2018 Model S needed new headlights last year already (DRL burned out almost completely).

I wonder if the new "refresh" (past 2021) use any improved design or do the DRLs fail the same and if they would be backward compatible with 2016+ cars. My 2017 Model S already had the headlights replaced 4 times total (lost track which side and how many times - driver or passenger).

I wonder if the new "refresh" (past 2021) use any improved design or do the DRLs fail the same and if they would be backward compatible with 2016+ cars. My 2017 Model S already had the headlights replaced 4 times total (lost track which side and how many times - driver or passenger).
They replaced mine last August with version G, and so far it is still ok. However, the tech mentioned it won't last long, guess only time will tell.

Have bought a pair of headlights for 100$ to retrofit in my 2015. One was burned on the upper side, so this “mod” worked perfectly.
What is the main difference between base and upper headlights?

Attachments

• IMG_5736.jpeg
    IMG_5736.jpeg
    752.1 KB · Views: 122
The range mode turn them off? It doesn’t do that on my MS… 🤷

What firmware version are you on?

I know the firmware version makes a difference. On some older versions, Range Mode was an effective way to keep the DRLs off. Other versions, like 2021.24.28 (part of the v10 family, not part of v11 which has the app dock), Range Mode no longer turns off the DRLs. On 2021.24.28, the only way to force the DRLs off is to manually select 'Off' in the lighting controls. Unfortunately in addition to being manual, that also has the side effect of making Autopilot unhappy (quick red hands error) anytime the sunlight brightness dips due to a big cloud passing by or the sky being overcast. This behavior may have shown up earlier in some versions that I skipped. I only ended up on 2021.24.28 because Tesla force installed this OTA onto my car.

There is no way to repair them. A guy tried on youtube. Watch that repair video and you will see how hard it is. Your best best is to buy a higher revision like f or g on ebay..
Hello, wow huge thread. In searching parts catalogues there are base or up-level headlights, and F or newer variations sound like they have a heatsink to reduce failure. Anyone know if we are on F/G for both base and up-level headlights versions? Tesla just quoted me $1973cdn for one headlight (HD/LP ASY, SAE BASE, LEFT HAND(1065041-00-E)) and it's showing E variation for replacement.