Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest "Finalize your order" date

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any guesses on when the new batch of finalize notifications will go out? This week towards the end or early next week?

Well, they could keep approximately the same rate of finalizations as before, in which case they'll let some more in by end of this or next week.

But after allowing ~11k reservations to finalize in order to deliver ~3k cars by 12/31, they undoubtedly have a backlog of already-finalized-but-unfulfilled reservations. They might want to get these cars produced before allowing any new (US/CA) finalizations. At 600 cars/week, they may be able to get through a majority of this backlog by March when they start production of the 40kWh, new red paint, and standard suspension. and at that point, they may want to get through the remainder of the backlog.

Also, keep in mind that they've stated European Signature Reservations will be allowed to finalize in January. They may want to build as many of these as possible, as those customers have been waiting a long time, and have paid a premium.

They also might want to force all pre-increase reservations to finalize sooner rather than later, to have a better idea of how many cars they need to build at pre-increase prices and options (e.g. 8-way vs. 12-way seats), for financial reasons.

I thought I read somewhere that anyone who reserved pre-new years that they will all get their finalize buttons and must finalize before Jan 31st to lock in the "discounted" pricing.

"You will likely receive your invitation to configure between now and the end of January depending upon when you made your reservation. If you configure your car and finalize your order within four weeks after receiving your invitation, you will not be subject to the price increase."

Last edited:
Well, they could keep approximately the same rate of finalizations as before, in which case they'll let some more in by end of this or next week.

But after allowing ~11k reservations to finalize in order to deliver ~3k cars by 12/31, they undoubtedly have a backlog of already-finalized-but-unfulfilled reservations. They might want to get these cars produced before allowing any new (US/CA) finalizations. At 600 cars/week, they may be able to get through a majority of this backlog by March when they start production of the 40kWh, new red paint, and standard suspension. and at that point, they may want to get through the remainder of the backlog.

Also, keep in mind that they've stated European Signature Reservations will be allowed to finalize in January. They may want to build as many of these as possible, as those customers have been waiting a long time, and have paid a premium.

They also might want to force all pre-increase reservations to finalize sooner rather than later, to have a better idea of how many cars they need to build at pre-increase prices and options (e.g. 8-way vs. 12-way seats), for financial reasons.

I definitely agree that they should work through some of the backlog, though yeah, they will probably get through pre-increase stuff too. But seriously they need to get their stuff in order and the whole process smoothed out before setting more unrealistic expectations and frustrating more customers. It's obvious they bit off more than they could chew, so they should just own up to it and slow down a bit, IMHO.

I thought I read somewhere that anyone who reserved pre-new years that they will all get their finalize buttons and must finalize before Jan 31st to lock in the "discounted" pricing.

"You will likely receive your invitation to configure between now and the end of January depending upon when you made your reservation. If you configure your car and finalize your order within four weeks after receiving your invitation, you will not be subject to the price increase."

I got my reservation in the first week of Dec and have yet to get a finalize notice. Here is something from the blog post: 2013 Model S Price Increase | Blog | Tesla Motors

"This price increase will not apply to anyone who has or makes a reservation by end of day on December 31, 2012…as long as they finalize their order within a reasonable, predefined timeframe after being invited to configure their Model S.

If you don’t finalize your reservation within the timeframe, it will remain intact. However, when you configure your car and finalize your order at a future date it will be under the new pricing and options schedule. There will be no other changes to your reservation."

I just got my "second invitation to finalize" this afternoon. I have until 1/23 midnight to finalize or subject to the price increase. Now to somehow get a test drive before then. I still feel its lame that I can't get a test drive here in AZ before the window closes. I think Tesla's doing their best, but still just doesn't feel right.

I visited the DC store on 12/31. They checked their computer system, and told me that it indicated that I would receive my invitation to finalize shortly after Feburary 1, 2013. He showed me the screen indicating the date. Well, at about 8:30 tonite (January 2, 2013), I received the invitation to finalize email saying I have to january 23, 2013. I plan to call them tomorrow because I am not happy. I had told the people at the DC store I would not finalize the order until Tesla fully announces web access plans,warranty details, enables wi-fi access, resolves the 12 volt battery issue, fogging issue, etc. The first cars were delievered in September, and Tesla still has not fully disclosed the warranty terms of the battery, offered the maintennance plans, released stable firmware, announced the cost for 3G service, etc.

I visited the DC store on 12/31. They checked their computer system, and told me that it indicated that I would receive my invitation to finalize shortly after Feburary 1, 2013. He showed me the screen indicating the date. Well, at about 8:30 tonite (January 2, 2013), I received the invitation to finalize email saying I have to january 23, 2013. I plan to call them tomorrow because I am not happy. I had told the people at the DC store I would not finalize the order until Tesla fully announces web access plans,warranty details, enables wi-fi access, resolves the 12 volt battery issue, fogging issue, etc. The first cars were delievered in September, and Tesla still has not fully disclosed the warranty terms of the battery, offered the maintennance plans, released stable firmware, announced the cost for 3G service, etc.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your reservation number?

I just got my "second invitation to finalize" this afternoon. I have until 1/23 midnight to finalize or subject to the price increase. Now to somehow get a test drive before then. I still feel its lame that I can't get a test drive here in AZ before the window closes. I think Tesla's doing their best, but still just doesn't feel right.

Jomo 25-
One solution--- jump in your car and take a drive to SoCal. Both the San Diego and Orange county stores have been fairly good at scheduling test drives.
I have to warn you-- once you test drive---you will be purchasing, the car is beyond amazing.

Jomo 25-
One solution--- jump in your car and take a drive to SoCal. Both the San Diego and Orange county stores have been fairly good at scheduling test drives.
I have to warn you-- once you test drive---you will be purchasing, the car is beyond amazing.
That's Tesla's official response to AZ folks who want test drives. Sorry, but my life doesn't just allow me to drive 12 hours round trip for a 20 min test drive. I'm sure I'll want the car more after driving it. But still I don't spend 80K without trying it out first.

Although this doesn't really change the math, it's actually closer to a 1 hour test drive. If you arrive early, you can probably spend the entire hour in the car, although they'll have a set route they want you to drive that takes roughly 30 minutes if you drive it fast. (And who wouldn't drive it fast?)

I wasn't aware that any finalize notifications went out today or the last 2 weeks for that matter. Im 12,848 and haven't received mine, what's your reservation #?

...I am not happy. I had told the people at the DC store I would not finalize the order until Tesla fully announces web access plans,warranty details, enables wi-fi access, resolves the 12 volt battery issue, fogging issue, etc. The first cars were delivered in September, and Tesla still has not fully disclosed the warranty terms of the battery, offered the maintenance plans, released stable firmware, announced the cost for 3G service, etc.

That is quite the long laundry list of things that you insist on being resolved before you finalize your order. Therefore, there is no reason to be upset because you were not going to get a satisfactory resolution to ALL those items before your opportunity expired (even if the email didn't arrive until early February like you expected). At least a few of your items are likely to be around for 6 months or so. Looks like you are destined to pay the higher rates if you must have all your concerns addressed before you finalize.

I wasn't aware that any finalize notifications went out today or the last 2 weeks for that matter. Im 12,848 and haven't received mine, what's your reservation #?

Highedu-
I think you are correct. I am right behind you in the cue, and waiting for my "finalize". Past experiences suggest that a flurry of notices get released on Mondays---so lets wait and see what happens next Monday.