Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch is Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another rollover test picture (backseat picture was from this as well)

1694203077292.png

1694203016371.png

As a brit I am not qualified to say this but:
  • The frunk is large just not f150 large. It is also extremely practical for loading etc. and a much better shape for most objects.
    • The bed tonneau cover makes the bed more practical than most pickups for shopping bags etc. making the frunk less needed
  • 6 ft for camping in
  • Won't be garaged by many so not relevant
sounds like someone who never owned a truck. putting grocery bags/ cargo into the bed means that once you hit the brakes hard it slides all the way to the end of the bed. *real* fun climbing onto the bed to retrieve your groceries when you are home. the F150 Lightning frunk is much more useful for daily cargo ... a light camper topper fits onto a 6ft or 5.5. ft and that's a pretty niche market compared to transporting groceries/ luggage etc.

once you hit the brakes hard it slides all the way to the end of the bed. *real* fun climbing onto the bed to retrieve your groceries when you are home.
This is highlights a negative I see for the CyberTruck (and all faired side pickups such as the Esclade and Avalanche). For a 'normal' pickup, I can reach in from the sides (step-sides can be a big help here for shorter folks). The fairings make it so you can pretty much only access what's in the bed from the tailgate.

Might be rolling out of Fremont now… sure looks like it in this post from Elon Musk a few minutes ago…
View attachment 972138
View attachment 972143

My guess is that these are headed for the Detroit auto show: Detroit Auto Show Announces Exciting Lineup of 35 Vehicle Brands, Featuring Mainstream Nameplates, Luxury Marques and Exotic Supercars – North American International Detroit Auto Show

"BMW, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Ford, GMC, Tesla and Volkswagen will be showing off their EVs on the new Powering Michigan EV Experience indoor track ride-along activation, sponsored by the Powering Michigan team of International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) Local 58 and the National Electrical Contractors Association (NECA). Outside of Huntington Place, Ford and Tesla will offer street course ride-and-drives."

• Informative
Reactions: strider and afadeev
The rear window is really small....

You are right.
This ain't great.

Maybe a Texas 'residential garage', but, perhaps not all garages of all ages.

Most attached "standard" US garages are just about the same. This is based on my 1st hand experience in TX, as well as up and down the Eastern seaboard.
Most 1-car garages (rare) are 12 feet wide by 20 feet long.
Most 2-car garages are 18-20 feet wide by 20 feet long,
Most 3-car garages 31 feet wide by 20 feet long.

Most single-bay garage doors are either 7 feet (older) or 8-/9-feet (newer) wide. Double-bay garage doors are usually 16-feet wide.

CT is rumored to be 231.7 inches (19.31 feet) long by 79.8 inches (6.65 feet) wide,
F150 is between 209 inches (17.42 feet) and 231 (19.25 feet) inches long, 80 inches (6.67 feet) wide.

Both might just squeeze through a 7-foot wide door, but really need 8-9 foot wide doors for everyday use.
The longer F150 and CT might just fit into your standard 20-foot garage bay, but just barely. And doors on only one side will lead to the garage entrance door. The passengers from the other side will have to back-track outside, before squeezing back inside on the side that has access to the house door. Or will get stranded, if you have 7-foot or even 8-foot wide garage doors!

This ain't great either.

HTH,
a

P.S.: For comparison, Rivian R1T is 217″ (18.08 feet) long x 79″ (6.58 feet) wide.

This is highlights a negative I see for the CyberTruck (and all faired side pickups such as the Esclade and Avalanche). For a 'normal' pickup, I can reach in from the sides (step-sides can be a big help here for shorter folks). The fairings make it so you can pretty much only access what's in the bed from the tailgate.
I see people saying this all the time and it just isn't an accurate complaint. The reason I say that is the vast majority of 'normal' pickups have sides that are too high to reach over without stepping on side steps or the wheels. If you have to step up already just step up on the CT and its the same experience.

Pickups have gotten bigger and their tires bigger still over time. I'm in Texas so maybe dealers put smaller tires on their pickups before selling them in other states but I have been actively looking as I go through parking lots since the CT announcement. Conservatively I would say maybe a quarter of pickups I walk past in parking lots (and we have a lot of pickups in TX) you can reach over the side without standing on the wheel. So if the CT is already in the majority case of pickups...who cares?

Depends on the season.
Pack prefers a specific temperature range.
In winter, keeping the pack warm in a garage is better
In summer, a non climate controlled garage that is further heated by the car's heat pump might be a worse environment. Carport for shade (or garage with door open) could be better.
I live where the weather is 120 outside in the summer. No…. Battery’s like to be kept inside the garage. The battery management system goes crazy when it’s to hit outside. Fans running all tne time, sucking up energy

Reactions: afadeev
I see people saying this all the time and it just isn't an accurate complaint. The reason I say that is the vast majority of 'normal' pickups have sides that are too high to reach over without stepping on side steps or the wheels. If you have to step up already just step up on the CT and its the same experience.

Pickups have gotten bigger and their tires bigger still over time. I'm in Texas so maybe dealers put smaller tires on their pickups before selling them in other states but I have been actively looking as I go through parking lots since the CT announcement. Conservatively I would say maybe a quarter of pickups I walk past in parking lots (and we have a lot of pickups in TX) you can reach over the side without standing on the wheel. So if the CT is already in the majority case of pickups...who cares?
most pickup drivers, especially in Texas, could do just as well or better driving a mini-van if their frail egos could adapt.

Will the Stainless surface get hotter than a painted car?

Painted metal surfaces shed heat better than bare metal surfaces. Thus, all metal roofs are painted.
The answer get more nuanced once both painted and unpainted metal start oxidizing (rusting) after prolonged exposure to acid rain.

Which brings up an interesting question of how does one maintain / carwash / polish CT's unpainted steel panels?
There are online pics of almost shiny reflective and clean looking CT exteriors. And then there are pics of driven test samples with palm prints and dirt streaks all over the panels.
It would be highly unfortunate if every time someone touched the CT a visibly greasy palm print would be left behind, requiring cleanup or a wash afterwards. This would be a royal PITA.

1694281598647.png
1694281892992.png

The Vehicles we see driving around are they customer vehicles that have been delivered to a select few or are they preproduction vehicles?

None have been delivered to anyone, even Tesla employees.
The pics are those of RC (release candidate) vehicles undergoing road and safety testing.

a

Reactions: TessP100D
CT target is ICE F150 with no frunk
Ford coming out with F200 to avoid competing - genius!

Their target is the ICE F-150 but they can’t even get past the Lightning? WTF

That CT is their show vehicle? Lmao

As far as bed vs frunk…. Let’s be real…. 95% of CT buyers will be wanting their CT nice and clean including the bed. I would say those saying they’d rather have the bed space than frunk space are just lying to themselves. Throwing crap in the bed and then trying to get it out is a PIA as opposed to the frunk.

Just a few months ago the talk was the CT would have an industry leading Frunk and now…. It doesn’t matter lmao…..

You could put a cargo bar in the bed. Adjust it as needed for cargo. The majority of the time groceries go on the backseat or backseat floor area. People with Trucks always find a way to make it work. What is cool about the larger Frunks is you can put your tow hitches and tie down straps in it and not have to take up a bit of bed space or store them under the rear seat.