Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch is Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s not like this was a dominant performance at all, but this is not as easy an obstacle as this angle might suggest.

A better angle would have helped people understand what is going on here.

This isn’t too difficult an obstacle for 4Runners, Jeeps, GX, etc. but those are all pretty capable. But they don’t just demolish it. (They do better than the Cybertruck did in this case, usually.)

Anyway, my point: I don’t think you’ll see many 2WD vehicles managing it, regardless of ground clearance. The steps are steep! You can see at 3:00 they cropped out a fail from the GX (wonder whether he was in 4LO or not, I assume so, but seems he needed a run at it, or he was not using all the assists that vehicle offers). Maybe I’m wrong, but looks like a tough obstacle if you don’t have a couple wheels with traction.

The main issue for me is the apparent inability to apply sufficient throttle and not lose traction/forward motion.

This stuff was solved decades ago in the pickup business. CTs will be put through offroad pickup comparisons. Without more dev time, the CT will be an off-road underwhelmer.

CT will underwhelm off road. it will also be the best roader that 98% of it's owners have ever had.

How? Can you explain?

I hope that Tesla suspension is tuned perfectly because Truck suspensions are no joke when it comes to a luxury ride.

Then again, I suspect many CT owners will be moving from a Y or 3 so it will be an upgrade.

CTs will be put through offroad pickup comparisons
You specifically mentioned it “ didn't climb that any better than a run-of-the-mill commuter car would” (ignoring clearance issues, per your post) - and made that comparison, not to an offroad pickup.

I don’t think that statement is true; I think it was hyperbolic.

I doubt Cybertruck will be the best offroad vehicle available, even as compared to similar length /width vehicles with similar limitations on departure angles, etc. And I would guess the likely glaring shortcomings in traction-control programming will be addressed to whatever extent possible subsequent to release.

I've sat in the ICE version of that and I gotta say it feels so luxurious in there. Even has massaging seats!

yeah... interior quality wise the Lariat already runs circles around any Tesla and the Platinum / King Ranch are high-end Mercedes / Lexus equivalent.
No, not at all. The interior on the latest gen f150 is not even close to luxury vehicle level. It looks nice if you sit in it for a minute but living with one is a different story. There is MILES of cheap plastic inside. The whole dash and center console is cheap plastic that rattles. Horrendously cheap dials and switchgear. The leather on the platinum is nice, but that's it for the seats. The massage feature wasn't good and the seat ventilation was useless. They don't work, unlike Tesla's seats. The a/c is weak and can't hold up to Texas summer, unlike my S. The premium b&o sound system is terrible. Turn it up and there's rattles everywhere, unlike Tesla. The driver display uses the crappiest LCD you can imagine. Ford still doesn't have an understanding of tech. They think putting in screens and displaying analog gauges/data and gimmicky icons is tech. It's really no different than a digital dash from a C4 corvette. There's a reason why the company has created zero shareholder value for decades. Zero innovation, selling the same product from 15 years ago for 4x the price.

No, not at all. The interior on the latest gen f150 is not even close to luxury vehicle level. It looks nice if you sit in it for a minute but living with one is a different story. There is MILES of cheap plastic inside. The whole dash and center console is cheap plastic that rattles. Horrendously cheap dials and switchgear. The leather on the platinum is nice, but that's it for the seats. The massage feature wasn't good and the seat ventilation was useless. They don't work, unlike Tesla's seats. The a/c is weak and can't hold up to Texas summer, unlike my S. The premium b&o sound system is terrible. Turn it up and there's rattles everywhere, unlike Tesla. The driver display uses the crappiest LCD you can imagine. Ford still doesn't have an understanding of tech. They think putting in screens and displaying analog gauges/data and gimmicky icons is tech. It's really no different than a digital dash from a C4 corvette. There's a reason why the company has created zero shareholder value for decades. Zero innovation, selling the same product from 15 years ago for 4x the price.

Lies! Lies! Lies! Except for the B&O being trash….

It’s funny you you say Ford thinks “gauges/data and gimmicky icons is tech”…… meanwhile fart sounds, a megaphone and light shows is somehow more “techy” than that.

I’m not sure what lemon you bought but my Lariat is silent and better built than my 23 M3 RWD.

“Selling the same product….”

Hahahaha….. priceless

AKA mass*g*sin(theta). It'll go downhill like a banshee.
Better use the quad to go uphill.

Tesla-Cybertruck-ATV-trunkbed.jpg

With the type of off-roading that most people do, the more important thing is that the truck be able to slam the underbody on one of those rocks and have it not be a bad day. That is definitely going to happen a lot, so incidental rock strikes must be a non issue, unlike with all Teslas to date. Plenty of height to allocate a bit of buffer space for this purpose. Could even reduce ground clearance and add buffer.
Most folks will steer around the pointy things that kill driveshafts, shock mounts, fuel tanks etc. When you blast over them then you don't care about the results.

• Disagree
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
You specifically mentioned it “ didn't climb that any better than a run-of-the-mill commuter car would” (ignoring clearance issues, per your post) - and made that comparison, not to an offroad pickup.

I don’t think that statement is true; I think it was hyperbolic.

I doubt Cybertruck will be the best offroad vehicle available, even as compared to similar length /width vehicles with similar limitations on departure angles, etc. And I would guess the likely glaring shortcomings in traction-control programming will be addressed to whatever extent possible subsequent to release.
I didn't intend to single out offroad pickups rather pickups that drive offroad. Pickups should be able to pulls trailers in the dirt (offroad) and not stop from one wheel losing traction.

There's always much more than meets the eye. As others have said, weight can kill on a hill but also how the wheelbase aligns with the stair step pattern. The CT's width also reduces more optimal path selection which may not be an issue with a run of the mill consumer car. But there's also an offroad crawl mentality the CT isn't suited for. Had the boys given it some beans at the bottom it surely would have had success with much less wheel spin.

I drove several run of the mill consumers cars up crazy steep offroad San Diego hills in my youth. And sometimes I didn't succeed. :)

No doubt one daunting section for small diameter wheels. Here's a little short wheelbase 4x4 suzuki with oversized wheels succeeding in slightly muddy conditions. He was able to pick a proper line. Admittedly not many would be willing to give it a try.

Reactions: hydro
Here's a little short wheelbase 4x4 suzuki
1) Not a “run-of-the-mill commuter car” (it’s 4WD for starters!). You were talking about neither pickups, nor 4WD vehicles.
2) The Cybertruck climbed it better.

It’s ok to say you meant something different than what you said, of course! Just want to be sure we’re being fair about how the Cybertruck seems to slot in here.