Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch is Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even as FUD, that article is terrible...
In the bed vs total payload : allows ambiguity of bed vs total payload (possibly different based on VIN data)

Top trim payload vs all trim : assumes display is top trim (it isn't), implies trims had different payloads (they didn't)

Towing: assumes this is top trim (it's not), dual motor reveal spec was 10,000 pounds towing, 11k is higher than that

"World's toughest truck" : how does that equal towing?

Facebook sourced price : no comment needed

You mean I can charge my model Y off CT (level 2)?

Tesla marketing at it finest again…..

The Twatter poster is acting like it’s something new to the EV Truck works lol….

Instead of saying it falls short of its competitors that will maybe get Tesla to revisit adding more or something better…. But no, the excitement is enough to have Tesla continue with meeting the minimum standards….

Tesla marketing at it finest again…..

The Twatter poster is acting like it’s something new to the EV Truck works lol….

Instead of saying it falls short of its competitors that will maybe get Tesla to revisit adding more or something better…. But no, the excitement is enough to have Tesla continue with meeting the minimum standards….
Annnnnnd like clockwork, the Debbie Downer crew strikes again! Seriously, who's paying you? You're here 24/7 reply with negative comments to everything, must be a full time job.

All joshing aside, do you have ANYTHING positive to say about the CyberTruck or Tesla? (or anything for that matter)

Annnnnnd like clockwork, the Debbie Downer crew strikes again! Seriously, who's paying you? You're here 24/7 reply with negative comments to everything, must be a full time job.

Annnnnnd like clockwork, pump'n'dump bully shows up again to attack anyone who questions his idol.
How ordinary....
1701194356956.png

Annnnnnd like clockwork, pump'n'dump bully shows up again to attack anyone who questions his idol.
View attachment 994414
I think you have who is the bully backwards there cupcake, but I'll continue calling out the trolls who are determined to destroy the "Tesla Motor Club" forum with their anti-Tesla hate, feelings posing as facts, and embarrassing assumptions. Discussion is one thing but the persistent negativity is transparent and boring and destroys any credibility the trolls may think they have.

Comparing the Cybertruck to a one ton Truck is a bit ridiculous. A one ton Truck was always going to beat the Cybertruck in payload, Driving distance and towing. You can get a Ram with a 50 gallon tank in the Gas or Deisel Trucks. The Cybertruck now seems to have a payload capacity up to 2500 lbs. That doesn't mean that the Truck you get will actually have 2500lb of payload capacity. It could very well be less. We may not even know the actual specs of the Truck at the delivery event. I will give Musk the benefit of the doubt that He will release price and specs at the event.

Comparing the Cybertruck to a one ton Truck is a bit ridiculous. A one ton Truck was always going to beat the Cybertruck in payload, Driving distance and towing. You can get a Ram with a 50 gallon tank in the Gas or Deisel Trucks. The Cybertruck now seems to have a payload capacity up to 2500 lbs. That doesn't mean that the Truck you get will actually have 2500lb of payload capacity. It could very well be less. We may not even know the actual specs of the Truck at the delivery event. I will give Musk the benefit of the doubt that He will release price and specs at the event.
if the Cybertruck has ~2500 lbs payload and EPA ~330 miles and tows ~10k lbs... then those specs are nearly identical with a 2yr old F150 Lightning which isn't even a purpose built pure EV platform truck....

The biggest problem I have with the "truck owners never use the capability of the truck for anything" argument is that it just doesn't match up with what I see every day on the road or walking around the neighborhood any given day, or my personal experience when I owned a truck. It's like that "35 miles a day average" number that always seems to have the unstated "that's all you need" attached.

What most people don't realize is that this study only polled F150 owners (i.e. not F250 or above owners). A deeper dive into this study also found that the majority of F150 owners polled owned the short bed F150 version. I cannot for the life of me find the link, but there was deeper dive done that provided a breakdown of the models within the F150 within the study results and it showed very different percentages when the cab size and bed sizes were broken out.

Interestingly your own numbers are not TOO different anyway-(32% yours vs 35% mine for "essentially never uses the bed" if we read hauling as bed use in your data.... and 63% vs 75% for essentially never tows.... lending further support to the idea the vast majority of truck owners tow roughly never. (Your data doesn't cover off road specifically- the data from my thing says 70% of owners do that 1 or 0 times a year though)

I'd be really curious to see the study methodology and the exact questions asked because your responses could vary widely just on the wording. I know plenty of "truck guys" who don't consider it to really be "towing" until the trailer has a loaded weight greater than the tow vehicle. Similarly, without very explicit definition of "hauling" I suspect that your answers may vary widely. I used the bed of my truck a lot, all the time--throw a few cinderblocks or a couple logs in there to take to workouts, or make a run to Lowes for some lumber--but when I hear "hauling" I think of the times I rode down to the landscape supply and filled the bed with gravel, then rode home on the bump stops... or the time I helped a friend move and I had the bed and a utility trailer full of stuff. Or brought a load of furniture back home from Atlanta. Unless you were very specific with the definitions, I suspect if you asked truck owners "how often do you haul with your truck?" and don't explicitly tell them that you are defining "haul" as "put anything in the bed", people are going to think of "hauling" as "carrying a lot of stuff a long way" and answer "never".

All joshing aside, do you have ANYTHING positive to say about the CyberTruck or Tesla? (or anything for that matter)
I don't think providing constructive criticisms of both Tesla and the CT on this particular thread is a bad thing. Tesla has enjoyed little to no competition until very recently - so bringing constructive criticism to some of Tesla's business and product development approaches may actually help to encourage companies like Tesla to realize that capturing more traditional (read non-fanboy) normative automotive buyers is going to require a bit different of an approach compared to what Tesla has been doing for the past ten years. Chances are, those that are more apt to complain, are likely aligned with a more normative/traditional automotive buyer. There's a bit of a fanboy basis to how Tesla has grown up during the disruption business stage, that really isn't going to win over non early adopter customers in comparison.

Let me give one example, there's a bunch Youtubers that have made a career out of reporting on Tesla, that IMHO tend to be fanboyish on a fairly regular basis - and are often simply uneducated and unfamiliar with legacy automotive features when pronouncing certain features as if they have never before existed anywhere else - when the reality is that's largely untrue. Here's a video to show a real world example:
I find myself chuckling at the insular fanboy analysis starting at 12:50 in this video. In this video Herbert claims two new features starting at 12:50. Who really cares about a light show - about which most normative automotive consumers could care less. I'd rather have functional automatic wipers than video games or light shows for example - as I could also care less about video games in any car. The big one in the video is the entry/exit mode for the air suspension (that actually already exists on the MX and has for years now mind you), that rises to normal ride height when the vehicle is put in drive gear. Herbert literally says, and I quote, "this is amazing" like it's never been done before. At least Jeff was knowledgeable enough to not overreact like a fanboy and tried to recover by saying it's the speed with which it rises, but that's BS too as most air suspensions take 5-10 seconds to rise out of entry/exit mode - and in this video if you count the seconds - it's seven seconds exactly from start to finish - right in the sweet spot. Just as one example, RAM has had air suspensions on their pickups for well over 10 years now - nothing new here - moving on.... I actually had a buddy, who tends to be a Tesla fanboy (he owns three Tesla vehicles now) send me this video in awe of the entry/exit mode. I went outside and made a quick video of my 2018 RAM 1500 with four corner air suspension doing the exact same thing in exactly the same amount of time with entry/exit mode enabled - and my buddy was stunned - but then again - he's never owned anything close to a pickup (closest he ever got was a Honda Pilot). This is just one example of what others who come to this site and actually know a thing or two about trucks chuckle about. So far, nothing, and I mean nothing I've seen on the CT is anywhere close to being new tech. I hope I'm wrong come Thursday, but I'm not holding my breath either.

We have a CT reservation (early same day reservation in the 11269 range) and will likely purchase the CT when the time comes, and we already own a MY LR and are existing Tesla customers, but we've not bought into the Tesla ecosphere hook line and sinker either. I've got a laundry list of complaints about our ownership to date. Does that mean we're going to dump our Tesla MY? Nope - overall my wife is happy with it as her daily driver and it's a perfect commuter car without any doubt. Does this mean there's not room for real improvement? Nope, because there surely is, and I'm going to be vocal about these types of issues because everyone should be really - especially if you own the product and are a stockholder (which we are). Overall, I'm a middle ground kind of a person, and I appreciate both positive and negative commentary for what it is. This site sometimes reminds me of Apple iPhone owners reacting to a cool new feature that has existed with Android phones for years.

Last edited:
The biggest problem I have with the "truck owners never use the capability of the truck for anything" argument is that it just doesn't match up with what I see every day on the road or walking around the neighborhood any given day, or my personal experience when I owned a truck.

Which is why "data from 250,000 vehicles owners across the nation" is a lot more useful than "What one guy on the internet sees locally in his neighborhood"

I've certainly lived places I saw people towing and hauling ALL THE TIME in trucks. Relatively non-dense populations there, my nearest neighbor was on the other side of a 5 acre lot, next nearest a 10 acre one- and the third nearest was a ~100 acre farm.

I've also lived places with far denser ones where nobody ever uses the truck to do anything but drive humans around inside the cab- often just 1 human.

100% towing among 5 humans I saw a day first location versus 0% towing among 100 humans I saw a day second location.

Thus broad data>personal anecdotes.

I'd be really curious to see the study methodology and the exact questions asked because your responses could vary widely just on the wording.

Nearest I can get you to this is what was reported-

According to Edwards’ data, 75 percent of truck owners use their truck for towing one time a year or less (meaning, never). Nearly 70 percent of truck owners go off-road one time a year or less. And a full 35 percent of truck owners use their truck for hauling—putting something in the bed, its ostensible raison d’être—once a year or less.

Which SOUNDS like the relevant questions are:

How often do you use your truck for towing in a year?
How often do you go off-road in your truck in a year?
How often do you haul (put something in the bed) of your truck in a year?

But I can't be sure- and IIRC the raw data from the 250k person survey requires paying for access to it.

Imagine the joy that comes at the corporate Christmas party 👍🏆🍿

I’m just waiting for someone to come out on Twitter and say the lines around the building to get into see that new Tesla truck and new orders that will ultimately come are just Tesla plants. They aren’t real customers.
🍿🤡

TSLA stock up $10 today ….. ice cube says today was a good day

Last edited:
Reactions: lowtek
You are more likely to see a used F 150 hauling stuff in the Bed and towing Trailers. Since most people who purchased these Trucks used are Blue Colar Workers. Yes most people who purchased these Trucks new won't use them for their intended purpose but a lot of people will. Did that survey breakdown the Demographics of where people live who purchased these Trucks. Urban/Suburban vs Semi Rural and Rural users.