Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lawsuit: For Noise & other annoyances

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tam

Nov 25, 2012
California
Plaintiff says Tesla luxury automobile contained several mechanical defects in lawsuit

Pennsylvania 2015 P85 Model S lemon lawsuits after 4 unsatisfactory repairs for:

1) noisy front right door panel

2) noisy passenger side window at highway speeds

3) noisy passenger door

4) long boot up display

5) long crank-time

6) driver’s assist unavailable message

7) Intermittent automatic unlocking failure.

I am not sure about noise: Is it because of the absence of engine noise that makes owers feel annoyed by door/window noise?

I thought long boot up time is related to power saving setting which is a quick easy fix by choosing the right option on the screen.

I had 2012 Model S and sure the fob didn't reliably automatically unlock the doors every first time of an approach but it worked majority of time.

....real winner... Long crank-time...

Thanks to the lawsuit, hand-crank start for your cars a is now trending :)

car-crank.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: jeffro01 and ABVA
So he's trying to lemon law his car. I am surprised the negotiations with Tesla broke down enough to actually file the lawsuit. Normally when you start talking filing a lemon law the car manufacturer goes ahead and takes care of it because it's cheaper than the legal fees.

As far as noises go, I don't think engine noise is the only component. I rented a Chrysler 300 for 5 days on a trip and while that was a terrible car compared to my S it was much quieter on the highway.

My husband is always asking if my pano roof is open when we drive my car at highway speeds. It's not ever open when he asks :( (I have a CPO so wind noise isn't covered under warranty.)

• Informative
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
The lack of engine noise is not a good excuse. Lexus interiors are far quieter due to noise isolation. Creaks and rattles is a reflection of poor build quality.

Looks like in California, wind noise is not a "substantial defect" .

"Accordingly, defects that you might find particularly annoying (for example, a loud wind noise, squeaking brakes, air conditioners that take too long to get cold, etc.) do not qualify for lemon law coverage unless they are bad enough that most reasonable people would either pay less to buy the vehicle or would not be able to use them in the manner that automobiles are typically used."

So he's trying to lemon law his car. I am surprised the negotiations with Tesla broke down enough to actually file the lawsuit. Normally when you start talking filing a lemon law the car manufacturer goes ahead and takes care of it because it's cheaper than the legal fees.

As far as noises go, I don't think engine noise is the only component. I rented a Chrysler 300 for 5 days on a trip and while that was a terrible car compared to my S it was much quieter on the highway.

My husband is always asking if my pano roof is open when we drive my car at highway speeds. It's not ever open when he asks :( (I have a CPO so wind noise isn't covered under warranty.)

Uh, noise, wind or otherwise is covered under warranty. Get into service if you have an actual air leak, hissing, droning or what not. A tech will take a drive with you and really listen. Then replace, gaskets, make adjustments to doors, windows, rear hatch etc. Just ask. My service center tamed all types of little to big noises. Is it BMW, or Chrysler 300 series quiet, unfortunately not, but service can do wonders.

The lack of engine noise is not a good excuse. Lexus interiors are far quieter due to noise isolation. Creaks and rattles is a reflection of poor build quality.

I have a 2016 Lexus ES350 and a 2016 S. The Tesla is by far MUCH quieter than the Lexus. I used to think of the Lexus as quiet before getting the Tesla. Not anymore.

I guess one can sue for just about anything in this country today. Too bad because the legitimate lawsuits are thrown in with the nonsense like this one

I have a 2016 Lexus ES350 and a 2016 S. The Tesla is by far MUCH quieter than the Lexus. I used to think of the Lexus as quiet before getting the Tesla. Not anymore.

I guess one can sue for just about anything in this country today. Too bad because the legitimate lawsuits are thrown in with the nonsense like this one
My experience has been the opposite. But I am comparing Model S to an Lexus LS460.
The Lexus is a lot quieter on the highway.
Model S is of course completely silent when not moving, but even the Lexus engine is quiet enough that I have walked away without turning off the car without noticing.

Model S really excels :rolleyes: when the A/C comes on - then it is the loudest car I have ever owned, including 10 year old ICEs (Nissan and Mazda).:eek:

Reactions: JHawk
The lawsuit laws in the US is a joke sometimes. It is one of the many reasons things cost so much. Companies have to always be ready for sometime meaningless lawsuits. Same goes with medical practice. As the result they have to buff for insurance and lawyers cost which is not cheap.

I understand there are times you need to sue on real things, like bad design resulting in accidents or lack of safety precautions or mass defects or not delivery on what is written in the contracts.

But the list above, most of which in my opinion are lame reasons.

All this does is make money for lawyers and unnecessary cost of taxpayers $ for court processing

Reactions: X Fan