Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving People in the Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had this problem from the day I bought the thing. My wife hates the car and I don't blame her. Stopped at tye news agents for a paper the doors locked and full alarm sequence. Doesn't matter whether it takes 5 seconds or 5 minutes it is not something a passenger should endure! It is just another example with Tesla how passengers are totally disregarded. in addition to this nonsense there is the inoperable glove box and the uncontrollable AC from a passengers point of view.
For ***'s sake Elon, get a grip, this is a £50k car, design errors like this must get sorted!

I have had this problem from the day I bought the thing. My wife hates the car and I don't blame her. Stopped at tye news agents for a paper the doors locked and full alarm sequence. Doesn't matter whether it takes 5 seconds or 5 minutes it is not something a passenger should endure! It is just another example with Tesla how passengers are totally disregarded. in addition to this nonsense there is the inoperable glove box and the uncontrollable AC from a passengers point of view.
For ***'s sake Elon, get a grip, this is a £50k car, design errors like this must get sorted!
Sounds a little dramatic.
My wife can operate the glove box just fine so long as I show her how every single time.
How is the AC uncontrollable? if you mean the fact that the passenger face vents cant be disabled then yes that is dumb but you can divert away from the passenger. I find up and to the right works best. Just done 900 miles with my air vent hating other half with no issue. Fixed on the ModelY BTW.
Others have suggested the alarm doesn't go off if there is a front seat passenger so you could always let your wife sit in the front sometimes ? or maybe let her have a copy of the app on her phone. Alternately you could go really crazy and let her drive :)

I think you just need to let her have a key for the car on her phone, it won't lock then, or disable the auto lock and you'll have to manually lock the car on exit.

If i leave someone in the car i usually turn off "Walk Away Locking" on the Locks menu page.
But then, you have to remember to turn it back on afterwards - i've left my car unlocked for several hours a few times because of this!

I think the car really should detect when any of the seats are occupied and disable the alarm when the car is locked.
As above. Walk away door lock. As far as I’m aware, if you toggle this with the drivers door open the setting will reset once you go back into drive. Meaning a one off setting and no need to remember to switch back on.

Same with lock confirmation sound... turning off with the door open will only turn off once. It fully saves if door is shut when you toggle. (Useful for early hour drives, not waking family/neighbours on lock).

EDIT: tested my theory and it does indeed work.
One off change: have door open when toggling the setting
Permanent change: ensure door is shut when to changing setting

Last edited:
camp mode / climate on or even Dog mode will do it. just so long as if when you come back if you are all leaving the car you remember to turn it off.
What might be better in your case is to let your wife have the app on her phone. that should stop it so long as she leaves Bluetooth on.

Yes I have used a combo of camp/dog mode! She has the Tesla app on her phone so I was a bit confused as to why the alarm went off with her in the car.

Yes I have used a combo of camp/dog mode! She has the Tesla app on her phone so I was a bit confused as to why the alarm went off with her in the car.
Every few updates/months not sure which I find the app needs to be logged in again. Since my wife barely uses it, invariably when she tries to she has been logged out. Under those conditions it presumably would not stop the alarm any more than it will open the doors. Could have been something like that.
Last time I came back to the car to find the family standing in the rain while my wife swore and waved a key card in the cars direction from about 30cm away. The sentry mode footage was hilarious :)

You guys know if you tap the screen the car turns back on right?

You walk away the car turns off. Passenger taps screen. Car turns back on. They don't need a key or anything. Everything stays controllable. I think it times out after a minute or two if they don't tap.

Reactions: Yachtsman
So I recently went on my first holiday with the M3 and on various occasions I wanted to get out of the car while leaving people inside.Not a problem if it was my wife since she has the Tesla app on her phone. Not so good if it was the kids ( before you call social services they are teenagers). The problem we discovered is that if I walk away the car locks and then after a few minutes the alarm goes off which is quite loud inside the car, (or so I am told :)).

I appreciate that there are several solutions to this but none of them are ideal

1) give the kids the app - not going to happen. I don't want them either sounding the horn when I am driving or buying FSD
2) give them a key card - they would lose it or leave in the car
3) leave my phone with them - not always practical
4) put in camp mode - This is what we have been doing until the other day when I went to pay for parking. Kids put it in camp mode then when I got back they got out without turning it off and it was in camp mode for 6 hours in a public car park, presumably unlocked and used 10% of the battery.

For short periods I thought about telling them to use Dog Mode instead of Camp. at least if that is left on the car will be locked and may use a bit less power.

I wondered what everyone else is doing in similar circs. and whether I have missed a trick?
I have exactly the same problem .... my only work around was for the kids to leave the door slightly ajar ... again not ideal
Is there a way we can turn off the auto lock ? Saying that 80% of the time I’m on my own and I quite like that Automated function

Page 14-15 Walk away door lock - disable
Pretty sure the AC and glovebox are in there as well.

Page 14-15 Walk away door lock - disable
Pretty sure the AC and glovebox are in there as well.

Yea and if you buy the key fob it works like a normal car. If you think about it they are using a feature that they don't want to use but also don't turn off.

I still think just telling whoever is in the car to tap the screen is the most intuitive. Screen turns off. Tap. Car is back on.

There is one other secret. If you open the door and get out of the seat then tap the brake the car stays on. It's not easy for some people but I can do it like nothing.

As above. Walk away door lock. As far as I’m aware, if you toggle this with the drivers door open the setting will reset once you go back into drive. Meaning a one off setting and no need to remember to switch back on.

Same with lock confirmation sound... turning off with the door open will only turn off once. It fully saves if door is shut when you toggle. (Useful for early hour drives, not waking family/neighbours on lock).

EDIT: tested my theory and it does indeed work.
One off change: have door open when toggling the setting
Permanent change: ensure door is shut when to changing setting

I'll be making a note of this.

I have exactly the same problem .... my only work around was for the kids to leave the door slightly ajar ... again not ideal
Is there a way we can turn off the auto lock ? Saying that 80% of the time I’m on my own and I quite like that Automated function

See CMc1's post above.

Reactions: CMc1
Yea and if you buy the key fob it works like a normal car. If you think about it they are using a feature that they don't want to use but also don't turn off.
its more fun to complain about something as being defective than it is to read how to turn it off.

But of course the same folks would disable walk away lock, then complain that the car doesn't lock when they walk away.

• Love
Reactions: CMc1 and P3dStealth