Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving People in the Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Couldn’t touch the screen as she was in the back with the baby. Dog mode - ok maybe principal is there. Camp mode - apparently leaves the AC on even when ya all out of the car. Pretty sure I should be able to walk away from the car with my phone and clock something in the app that locks the car but doesn’t arm the alarm.

Maybe I’m missing something?
Yes, telling the wife to turn off camp mode if she gets out and leaves the car :D

This used to happen loads. Child in car while I nip out for whenever reason. Car locks, then it alarms.

I have a key fob now. Whenever I get out I just leave the fob in the car. Pin is active so it can’t be driven.

key card looks cool, but the fob has enhanced my life

Reactions: OttoR
So what do I do when my 3 year old is in the back seat on the parking lot in the pooring rain while collecting my 7 year old from daycare?
I don't want to unstrap him out of his seat and take him with me; he certainly is not allowed to touch the touchscreen (and cannot lock from the inside). I do want to bring my phone with me.

With my current car; I just lock the vehicle and he is safe inside; lock it a second time and alarm is armed. But with Tesla if I lock apparently the alarm goes of....

Is camp mode (or dog mode; but that just doesn't seem right) the only way?

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
So what do I do when my 3 year old is in the back seat on the parking lot in the pooring rain while collecting my 7 year old from daycare?
I don't want to unstrap him out of his seat and take him with me; he certainly is not allowed to touch the touchscreen (and cannot lock from the inside). I do want to bring my phone with me.

You leave a three year old unattended in a car? I really cannot see any car manufacturer facilitating that use case. However, if it was a dog you were leaving, they may have a solution for that.

You leave a three year old unattended in a car? I really cannot see any car manufacturer facilitating that use case. However, if it was a dog you were leaving, they may have a solution for that.
I've bought a couple of these as to not arouse suspicion:

Crochet-Puppy-Dog-Hat.jpg

Ok

So it’s Dog Mode or Camp Mode next time I’m in that situation, is that right?

Can leave mrs and bairn in the car, take my phone with me, lock the doors and they will be fine in the car and safe and the alarm will not go off?
Yes. Use camp mode. She can lock doors using padlock on top right corner of map.

DO NOT USE YOUR/HER PHONE TO LOCK THE DOORS AS IT WILL SET THE ALARM

well yeh, but I’m talking about something like going back into the house as I’ve forgotten something etc. Couple of minutes. Walk away with the fob and it locks in seconds
Personally I would just leave the door open a crack after I got out, but camp mode is also suitable.

When I'm walking to the front door of the day care 60m away from the parking lot in direct line of sight. I honestly see no harm in that.
I think the point was Tesla aren't going to provide a feature named 'leave child alone in car' but do have a dog mode that will keep the alarm off, doors locked, and temperature maintained.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I’ve disabled the tilt/intrusion feature (Safety/Security menu) when taking my Model 3 on a cross channel ferry. That keeps the alarm activated and locks the doors but prevents setting the alarm off if anything moves inside the car. Wouldn’t that be an easy option the if leaving kids in the car while popping to the shop but wanting to keep the car locked?

• Informative
Reactions: OttoR
Im not sure if this has been mentioned already (this thread is quite long .. and i havn't read it all!) but there is a hidden "feature" to deal with the situation where you want to leave someone in the car without it locking when you walk away...

if you go into the security menu and turn off "walk away locking", but do it while you have the driver's door open - it will only turn it off until you get back into the car!

This is on the model 3 - not sure about other models.. maybe the same?

Rich

• Informative
Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
if you go into the security menu and turn off "walk away locking", but do it while you have the driver's door open - it will only turn it off until you get back into the car!
Rich
Rich have you tried this recently? On my car it doesn't work as described, soon as you turn off walk away locking it saves to the profile, regardless of whether the door is open or closed. At that point you must remember to turn it back on when you get back which is not ideal. Not saying you are incorrect though, with the flurry of software releases it may well have changed again. Are you sat in the drivers seat when you do this?

Another idea, why not turn off bluetooth on your phone before you walk away? I haven't tried it....

Rich have you tried this recently? On my car it doesn't work as described, soon as you turn off walk away locking it saves to the profile, regardless of whether the door is open or closed. At that point you must remember to turn it back on when you get back which is not ideal. Not saying you are incorrect though, with the flurry of software releases it may well have changed again. Are you sat in the drivers seat when you do this?

Yes, it works for me! sitting in the drivers seat, open the door and turn off walk away locking.. If remember correctly i think it does still save to the profile.. but it doesn't remember it.. next time i close the door and walk away it locks correctly and i don't have to turn it back on manually.

Another idea, why not turn off bluetooth on your phone before you walk away? I haven't tried it....

yes, this works too, but it's a pain having to remember turn it back on afterwards each time..

Rich