TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

LED Headlight RetroFit on Older Cars

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Mike K, Aug 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. EVS Motors

EVS Motors Vendor

We would love to be able to do these for our clients in Houston!

• Like x 1
  2. bradhs

bradhs Member

Great progress so far! I'm surely interested if you can figure it out. It sounds like CAN to me. I'll email SC and see if they have any info.

3. Mike K

Mike K Member

Well cool. The interest is coming a bit late but we'll be working on it so happy to see this!

I also have a facelift bumper coming in tomorrow which means we should know before the weekend if the facelift bumper is a bolt-on part.

• Like x 2
  4. SevenWithaT

SevenWithaT Member

oh nice! This is even better!

5. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

Great points, Mike.

6. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

CORRECTION - Only face-lifted "Performance" Model S comes with ventilated seat option. No other configurations. So you have to buy a P90D or P100D to get those seats.

7. SevenWithaT

SevenWithaT Member

Please let us know if you have any progress on the bumper, too.

8. paul.scott

paul.scott Member

I am very interested in retrofitting the whole front of my car if possible. I just started researching it recently.

9. paul.scott

paul.scott Member

Mike, What year is your car? Mine is a late 2014 with tech package and I have the corner lights that turn on when the steering wheel is turned and the fog lamps turn on when the car is in reverse. So i wonder if the pin out is different from 2013 to 2014 but same as the latest incarnation. Wouldn't the lights have to be connected to the CAN bus for the corning lights to operate?

10. bredi

bredi Member

#50 bredi, Sep 2, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    wow. Thank you. I just assumed "Adaptive" headlights were more standard. I didn't realize BMW was so far ahead on this. They truly are amazing.

come on tesla! see the light!

11. Mike K

Mike K Member

Does yours work different than my 2013? Because my 2013 also has the low speed cornering lights but I always just assumed those were in the lower capsule with the fogs.

12. paul.scott

paul.scott Member

Those are in the lower capsule with the fogs. I also noticed recently that the fogs turn on when the car is put into reverse. I was just wondering if when they did the tech package lighting or went to HID if they changed the lighting pin out then or if they did it with the 2016 models with LED lighting.

I thought although now I realize I was not remembering correctly I thought last years christmas light display included a model S and it was three X's when I looked back at the video where we saw they could get pretty creative with programming the lights. I was just thinking since the car has to know wheel position for the low speed cornering lights that maybe some cars came wired a little different. Since yours has those two the CAN bus connections must be in the lower capsule to tell the light to turn on when turning or turn on the fog lamps when in reverse.

I was thinking sometime in 2013 they went from Halogen to HID Projectors so I was wondering if they changed the wire harness then or if that didn't come until the LED light change.

13. paul.scott

paul.scott Member

I hope they will in time let us upgrade our other cars. I want ventilated seats badly but really don't need the Performance Model. :) I speed too much as it is.

14. paul.scott

paul.scott Member

Did you order it from Tesla or from KarStyle? From what Tesla told me there are a lot of changes behind the bumper. Particularly for Autopilot cars like mine. The Radar is now behind the T higher on the bumper to prevent road debris or snow and ice from disabling it. My AP got shutdown by a moth one day.

15. Mike K

Mike K Member

Early cars could have either halogens or HIDs and that was determined by the presence of the tech package. I have nothing other than speculation to go off of but I'm going to assume that they used identical harnesses since the lighting control is in the light and there would be no need to run a different harness for halogen versus HID.

I don't think the newer cars are any different but I just ordered a P85D which will be here in a few weeks so I'll be sure to report on that.

Tesla. I bought it for my pre-AP 2013 though. I'm not sure I'd want to take the project on with an AP car unless I was to keep the radar sensor in it's original position.

16. Ingineer

Ingineer Electrical Engineer

I can say for sure that the entire production run up to the refresh (2012-2016) had the same headlight wiring, regardless of HID/Halogen. The new refresh lights use the same connector, but a totally different pin configuration with a LIN connection from the Body ECU to control the lights, which is not present on the pre-refresh cars.

It's not yet clear to me if the existing body ECU has this extra LIN output for the refresh lights. If so, then it should be possible to retrofit with just a wiring change.

17. DillyBop

DillyBop Member

i sure wish i could have LED's on my current Tesla!

but i tell you what... the lights on there now ain't too shabby! :)

18. Model S M.D.

Model S M.D. Ludicrous Radiologist

19. skilly

skilly Member

If we just want to do an update, and avoid the "hassle" of trying to set up the adaptive component, it seems like this might work. The upgraded lighting comes as HID or adaptive LEDs. The HID would have a signal wire, constant for the LED DLR, headlight, high beam, ground etc. Judging by the first part of this post, plugging in they get some of the lighting to work and no faults, it means that a few of the wires are in the right spot. It would seem that the differences come down to the high beam and the DLR LED.

Has anyone done just a swap for an improved/upgraded look? I found a used bumper (2017) and I'm gonna take a shot at the lighting too...just seems like it shouldn't be that tough as long as you aren't looking for the adaptive.

• Like x 1
  20. skilly

skilly Member

was this ever looked into?