Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LED Headlight RetroFit on Older Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No upgrade that I know of for the OEM LED headlights from Tesla... they are a proprietary design.

If you have the original HID headlights from Tesla... found on the Model S from 2012 to mid-2016:
  • You can try the aftermarket LED kit that Tension suggested, however, the output will be low.
  • I would recommend an upgraded HID kit that will overdrive new bulbs at 55W vs. 35W OEM.
  • 50% more lumens and better night visibility with the Teala OEM projector lens system. :cool:
Thanks, FS911, I thought i had no real options for the LEDs in my car and i was right! I await a good bolt-on replacement solution....

New isn't always better. The Model S LED lights suck hard, apparently, and Tesla has done nothing to remedy this design flaw. A lot of things about Model S need to "get with the times".

I agree completely... the LED headlights are very poorly rated.

Why would you want to downgrade to LED headlights (2018-2019) from the original Tesla Model S with HID lights(2012-2017)?

If you do facelift upgrade and you want headlights match you need that

Are all functions enabled by this emulator, e.g. on/off depending on the settings in the car? Cornering lights when turning the steering wheel? Leveling according to load in the back avoiding blinding others?

Appreciate the input since I already bought a set of led headlights to retrofit, but not sure which path to take on the installation/integration...

Are all functions enabled by this emulator, e.g. on/off depending on the settings in the car? Cornering lights when turning the steering wheel? Leveling according to load in the back avoiding blinding others?

Appreciate the input since I already bought a set of led headlights to retrofit, but not sure which path to take on the installation/integration...
Yes, everything will work.
But all emulators sold out

• Informative
Reactions: Tension
I would recommend an upgraded HID kit that will overdrive new bulbs at 55W vs. 35W OEM.

If a-t-il all possible, could you reference to where I could purchase such a kit and detail somehow what should I expect from the <overdrive > qualifier. I’ve got a HID that intermittent on our November 2013 model s and am puzzled as to what to buy. So far I’m tempted by these:

Philips D3S Standard Authentic Xenon HID Headlight Bulb, 1 Pack
Or

RCP D3S 6000K Xenon HID Replacement Bulb Diamond White Metal Stents Base 12V Car Headlight Lamps Head Lights 35W, 1 Pair https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01KSTL06U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_n7u6DbNG500GH

If a-t-il all possible, could you reference to where I could purchase such a kit and detail somehow what should I expect from the <overdrive > qualifier. I’ve got a HID that intermittent on our November 2013 model s and am puzzled as to what to buy. So far I’m tempted by these:

Or
RCP D3S 6000K Xenon HID Replacement Bulb Diamond White Metal Stents Base 12V Car Headlight Lamps Head Lights 35W, 1 Pair https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01KSTL06U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_n7u6DbNG500GH

The referenced links are just the bulbs... you will need a kit with the ballast, ignitor and bulbs. Hope this helps :cool:

https://www.amazon.com/OPT7-Bolt-55...ords=tesla+9005+hid+kit&qid=1576435478&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/DDM-Tuning-P...p_85:2470955011&rnid=2470954011&rps=1&sr=8-26

My DRL's lit up as in the attached pic when I open the car.
20180425_201654 - kopie_LI.jpg
When I start driving the (more or less) horizontal parts of the DRL's dim to 50%.
I do not like that. Anyone knows of a mod to keep all DRL's at 100% at all times ?

Yeah, that happened to my car too. I've replaced both headlamps last year ... $$$$$
Funny thing is, it's always the 50% burning leds that malfunction (after a few months or years).
So, I think the problem originates in the soft- or hardware that switches the leds from 100% to 50%.

Reactions: lonertic