Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let the hacking begin... (Model S parts on the bench)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that you're telling me to get off the lawn, I can't resist. :D

What is NetWare? Is this an OS, or some type of server app running on Linux? What's it serving? :confused:

Netware was the most stable, reliable and advanced file server of its day (late 80's, early 90's). It ran on its own OS on PC compatible computers. It eventually lost out to Windows for some unknown reason (well, Microsoft might have had something to do with that).

NetWare - Wikipedia

Wk, or ingineer, do you guys happen to know what the RAM size is of the system that runs the 17" display? (MCU or ICU?). I wonder if memory exhaustion is one problem it has (which is why even the most stable release reboots every so often).

Wk, or ingineer, do you guys happen to know what the RAM size is of the system that runs the 17" display? (MCU or ICU?). I wonder if memory exhaustion is one problem it has (which is why even the most stable release reboots every so often).

I was previously wondering if in the future Tesla may sell a centre display unit upgrade with a faster processor and more ram etc, but a DIY ram upgrade would be good too.

I was previously wondering if in the future Tesla may sell a centre display unit upgrade with a faster processor and more ram etc, but a DIY ram upgrade would be good too.
I would be very surprised if the Tegra SOC had off package RAM that was upgradable. It isn't common. Then again I happen to think Tegra is a horrible CPU SOC to use though the GPU portion is on point though..

I thought I heard that it has 1GB of ram, but I can't find a source for that so I may be incorrect.

The Tegra 3 is a System on a Chip (SoC) which means that the memory is integrated on the same silicon with the processor, you can't just do a ram upgrade. Its not socketed either so you couldn't just upgrade the chip or anything, you'd need to replace the whole board. Seems very unlikely that Tesla would offer such an upgrade.

Netware was the most stable, reliable and advanced file server of its day (late 80's, early 90's). It ran on its own OS on PC compatible computers. It eventually lost out to Windows for some unknown reason (well, Microsoft might have had something to do with that).

NetWare - Wikipedia

Wow - I was a CNA and CNE in the day - I actually forgot that I even had those certifications. Thanks for a walk down memory lane.
Novell was awesome !!!

Reactions: markwj
I thought I heard that it has 1GB of ram, but I can't find a source for that so I may be incorrect.

The Tegra 3 is a System on a Chip (SoC) which means that the memory is integrated on the same silicon with the processor, you can't just do a ram upgrade. Its not socketed either so you couldn't just upgrade the chip or anything, you'd need to replace the whole board. Seems very unlikely that Tesla would offer such an upgrade.

RAM for Tegra archictectures is not on the same silicon die as the CPU/GPU, as far as I know. I doubt it's socketed in this application either, but it is separate I believe.

Maybe ... it's a package-on-package. Heat up both, pick up the package off the board, shake it hard to get the RAM to fall off the bottom, grab a new RAM chip, and *extremely carefully* heat it all up and stick it to the board again! :cool: Sounds like a potentially very expensive failed modification. :p
Hey, I've got a heat gun and a sense of humor! Who's with me?

• Funny
Reactions: LoL Rick
It certainly doesn't, since the turn signals etc still function during a reboot. You just don't hear the click from the signals, if my memory of another thread serves me correctly.

Yep. That clicking sound is probably just a sound effect being played through the speakers. I'm hoping someday they add a feature that makes the sound get louder after a certain distance, to help people realize their turn signals have been left on. :)

Reactions: bmah and int32_t
Code:
top - 11:55:55 up 1 day,  2:54,  0 users,  load average: 2.24, 2.08, 2.06
Tasks: 151 total,   1 running, 150 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s): 13.4%us,  6.4%sy,  0.0%ni, 77.5%id,  0.0%wa,  0.0%hi,  2.7%si,  0.0%st
Mem:   2047820k total,  1782144k used,   265676k free,   288336k buffers
Swap:        0k total,        0k used,        0k free,   350628k cached

Wow that's pretty high CPU usage for idle. What was the system doing when you executed top?

It's like that almost all the time. It's effectively idle. Here's my car this morning after being being untouched all night:

Code:
top - 08:43:19 up 2 days, 23:41,  0 users,  load average: 2.00, 2.01, 2.05
Tasks: 148 total,   1 running, 147 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s): 15.3%us,  6.0%sy,  0.0%ni, 76.4%id,  0.0%wa,  0.0%hi,  2.3%si,  0.0%st
Mem:   2047820k total,  1862364k used,   185456k free,   305792k buffers
Swap:        0k total,        0k used,        0k free,   355088k cached