Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let the hacking begin... (Model S parts on the bench)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Otherfastchargeallowed = Chademo can use to charge.
Thank you for confirmation. I have it set correctly, however I was trying 3 different Chademo stations and each time the following happens:
1. The station correctly connects to the car and shows the actual charge percentage of the car battery.
2. The car sais starting to charge.
3. The IC shows voltage going from 0 up to 460V while amps is 0 in a short time.
4. Then the voltage goes down to 5V, stays there for a couple of seconds, then goes to 0V and shows "Chademo charging issue" message.
5. The charge stations shows "Communication error" message.

My car is running sw version 6.2 (2.4.250).
Anybody was having this issue or have any idea how to fix it ?

Thank you for confirmation. I have it set correctly, however I was trying 3 different Chademo stations and each time the following happens:
1. The station correctly connects to the car and shows the actual charge percentage of the car battery.
2. The car sais starting to charge.
3. The IC shows voltage going from 0 up to 460V while amps is 0 in a short time.
4. Then the voltage goes down to 5V, stays there for a couple of seconds, then goes to 0V and shows "Chademo charging issue" message.
5. The charge stations shows "Communication error" message.

My car is running sw version 6.2 (2.4.250).
Anybody was having this issue or have any idea how to fix it ?

UPDATE:
The content of the variable GUI_chargeSessionAlerts:
GTW_w061_hvacRailTooLow - this one is common, always there, probably something air conditioning related. Anyway, AC works fine.
BMS_w093_SW_FastChg_Problem,
BMS_u011_Fast_Charger_Problem,
+FC_w174_CA_vehReadyTimeout_PT,
+FC_w176_CA_chargingBusTimeout_PT,
+FC_w184_CA_evseBatMalfunc_PT

Anybody experienced this before ? The charge port is US and I am using a US Tesla Chademo adapter.

I do know the Chademo adapter itself has firmware that can be updated at a service center, and that some folks have had interoperability issues with some charge stations alleviated by do so.

I keep asking my SC about Chademo adapter firmware updates and they swear up and down it doesn't exist. So crazy. I know others have taken their adapters to their SC for updating.

• Informative
Reactions: Superendo
It would be interesting if anybody having S60 2013, sw version 6.2 (2.4.250) can use Chademo without updating the car software. I was trying 3 different chademo stations made by different producers. None of them worked and the process failed exactly the same way. Maybe I have to rewrite the BMS firmware after enabling DC charging in internal.dat file ?

Wait, you have a 2013 60kWh model?! It probably doesn't have the required hardware to do DC charging.... have you confirmed? Early 60kWh models did not come with it.
I have no idea, I have just set the car configuration to enable fast charging. As far as I know the BMS talks directly to the Chademo adapter. There are some relays in the switchbox that basically connects the high voltage DC bus to the power plug. Is there any other hardware required? I didn't find any special DC charging hardware in the service manual. Am I wrong? Does anybody know what hardware is required?

No. The 40 definitely needed hardware.
Well there were no actual 40's... so few of them were sold that they just ended up being software-limited 60's.

I don't recall that there were any cars that actually didn't have the HVJB (high-voltage junction box) needed to physically enable supercharging. I don't recall seeing any such thing in my copy of the service manual either... but I can double check.

Reactions: GeorgeCM
I don't recall that there were any cars that actually didn't have the HVJB (high-voltage junction box) needed to physically enable supercharging. I don't recall seeing any such thing in my copy of the service manual either... but I can double check.

Someone mentioned that when they upgraded their 40 to a 60 they had to have a new HVJB installed. (They may have enabled Supercharging at the same time.)

Here is what I remember reading: Tesla, please enable pay-per-use supercharging for original 40/60kWh cars

Reactions: scaesare and croman
Someone mentioned that when they upgraded their 40 to a 60 they had to have a new HVJB installed. (They may have enabled Supercharging at the same time.)

Here is what I remember reading: Tesla, please enable pay-per-use supercharging for original 40/60kWh cars
Interesting, that's the only time I've ever seen someone claim that. It does appear that's a second had report, however.

I just looked in my copy of the service manual, for the first 3 revisions of the car hardware (through May '14), and in botht he wiring diagrams, as well as the remove/replace procedures, there's no indication of this being an optional component, or what the wiring or procedures would look like without it. However in both of those sections that alternative wiring/procedures for an optional 2nd vehicle charger is shown.

I'm not convinced that one second-hand report wasn't a misunderstanding.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman and GeorgeCM
Every Model S has Supercharger hardware, regardless of battery. The original 60kWh cars just didn't have it enabled in the software.
Is there any setting other than the 3 variables in the gateway config file (internal.dat)? Maybe I have to rewrite the BMS firmware after setting the gw variables? It looks to me that the car with the adapter communicates using the Chademo protocol, as the charge station shows correctly the battery charge status and the car shows the high voltage of the charge station.

Last edited:
I've been through the thread as best I can, but I can't see a few things mentioned:
1. Has anyone looked at either of the internal USB connections in the CID? One on the mainboard, one on the modem/GPS board?
2. Has anyone played with the JTAG ports on the mainboard?
3. What's on the microSD card?
4. What does the Cyclone IV FPGA do?

I've been through the thread as best I can, but I can't see a few things mentioned:
1. Has anyone looked at either of the internal USB connections in the CID? One on the mainboard, one on the modem/GPS board?
2. Has anyone played with the JTAG ports on the mainboard?
3. What's on the microSD card?
4. What does the Cyclone IV FPGA do?

#1 Yes, , but a firmware update more or less neutered them for input but you can still get the raw signals, @verygreen had a very nice keyboard setup for snapshots and other things.

#3. Navigon maps data.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
Please, you know someone here command or gpio port for on/off MCU display? (intelligent power AUIPS7081 on back side mainboard)
qtcar application controls 12v power for main display, my application can not do this...
I have to use still start/stop qtcar service

Attachments

• IMG_0154.jpg
    IMG_0154.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_0160.jpg
    IMG_0160.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 234
Please, you know someone here command or gpio port for on/off MCU display? (intelligent power AUIPS7081 on back side mainboard)
qtcar application controls 12v power for main display, my application can not do this...
I have to use still start/stop qtcar service

I am pretty sure it is software driven to turn off the monitor...instead of a gpio port since you can touch the screen and wake up the car.