Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LFP battery - how often is too often to charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, unfortunately a lot of people took that to mean that they MUST ALWAYS charge to 100%,
It's the same with some in the NMC group . Tesla does not say charge to 80%. They just recommend 80% as the max for daily driving. It also does not mean cannot charge above 80%. And it also does not mean you can't set the charge limit at 50%. But people charge to 80% when they don't need to - because they think that's what Tesla says .

Then others buy the LFP because they think the 80% means the NMC batteries have 20% less battery capacity so the LFP has therefore more range...

Last edited:
Reactions: Jules22
I bought a Model 3 SR a month ago. I had read Musk's quote that you could charge the LFP battery to 100% daily because "it wants to be charged to 100%", so that's what I had been doing. Then I found out today from Recurrent that NO, in fact LFP batteries are NOT special - and charging them to 100% daily is NOT ok. So now I'm going to charge to 85% daily and only fully charge occasionally. Tesla needs to change the verbiage in my car's display where is says to keep it set to 100%. They should say the same thing they say for the other batteries, and simply add "charge to 100% weekly".

Reactions: Davemcd
Why 85%. (rhetorical question)

if you only use 30% each day, I would charge between 30-60% each day.
Jeff Dahn videos on battery degradation informed my approach. I try to charge my NMC battery often within a narrow state of charge set to match my usage (short trips). I tend to operate between 50% and 70% ... could make that 40% to 60% which would be even more battery-friendly but given I expect my battery to degrade minimally anyway I don't fuss.

could make that 40% to 60%
👍Narrow depth of discharge is the best .
I don't need 40% min Soc . Have more than enough reserve with 30% minimum SoC (AKA arrival back home SoC).

Note that Tesla recommends max SoC when transporting batteries by air is <28% SoC. I could make "arrival back home Soc" 20% but occasionally need to go out again at short notice.

Reactions: TM3RWD
I have charged my original NMC battery from about 40% to 90% with infrequent top ups to 100%, perhaps every 3 to 4 months depending upon need. It’s only been below about 30% a few dozen times, so after 8.5 years I’m getting about 12% degradation.
From my experience you can over think the top end of the charging curve, it’s being at the lower end of state of charge that causes the most degradation in my opinion.

From my experience you can over think the top end of the charging curve, it’s being at the lower end of state of charge that causes the most degradation in my opinion.
That doesn't seem to match the science though. AAKEE has posted many papers that all show lower degradation at low SOC. This applies whether it's NCA, NMC, or LFP. When it comes to storing your car for extended periods the lower the SOC the better.

Damage can be done if the physical cells go below 0%, but the car won't let you drain it that far. Keep in mind when the car shows 0% the cells are still higher than this due to the buffer that is reserved by the car.

👍Narrow depth of discharge is the best .
I don't need 40% min Soc . Have more than enough reserve with 30% minimum SoC (AKA arrival back home SoC).

Note that Tesla recommends max SoC when transporting batteries by air is <28% SoC. I could make "arrival back home Soc" 20% but occasionally need to go out again at short notice.
In the spirit of continuous improvement I'll knock my max charge to 60% and see how I go.

Why 85%. (rhetorical question)

if you only use 30% each day, I would charge between 30-60% each day.
You are right. I just like having the extra range if I need to use it. But I'm thinking 85 is really too high for daily max and I may go down to 70% and see if I'm comfortable with the miles I have at the end of the day there. I drive about 80 miles total each day for my work commute. I'd like to have at least 100 left after that. So I can charge to a much lower setpoint and it should help my battery. Recurrent sent me another link on the subject:

I have charged my original NMC battery from about 40% to 90% with infrequent top ups to 100%, perhaps every 3 to 4 months depending upon need. It’s only been below about 30% a few dozen times, so after 8.5 years I’m getting about 12% degradation.
From your signature I see you have an older battery. I had a 2015 Model S and I traded it because it felt like an anvil was hanging over my head, at $21k for a new battery. Are you going to drive it 'till it dies? Have you connected with ScanMyTesla to see how many cycles you've used? I was at 750 cycles when I traded mine. They only go for 1000-1500 per what I've read.

From your signature I see you have an older battery. I had a 2015 Model S and I traded it because it felt like an anvil was hanging over my head, at $21k for a new battery. Are you going to drive it 'till it dies? Have you connected with ScanMyTesla to see how many cycles you've used? I was at 750 cycles when I traded mine. They only go for 1000-1500 per what I've read.
I keep my cars for an average of about 12 years so intend to keep it for a while longer. If I have to replace the battery I will just add another couple of years beyond to make up for the cost of the replacement.
I’m at 250,000Km (circa 150,000 miles) but the car is holding up very well both mechanically and in appearance.
Plus Model S not available in Australia anymore and I don’t have anything else that attracts me enough to change.

Here's the story of one high mileage example in Australia

Reactions: Vostok
The issue with LFP is that a lot of them hog the public chargers slowly charging up to 100%, which is shown through chargefox app quite easily now
A statement with no real evidence - did the Chargefox app show my 100% charge in February when I needed 100% to get back to North Brisbane and also show that I was the only one there at the 4 stalls? Did that count as hogging in the stats?

Like the vast majority of Tesla owners I would not hog the chargers if there were others waiting and would only charge to 100% at a public charger if absolutely needed.

The issue with LFP
This has nothing to do with LFP though. In the rare instances where someone thinks they have to charge to 100% every time, that's an issue with that persons misunderstanding of the technology.

As the poster above points out there are certainly occasions where you need to charge to 100% and there have been occasions where on a road trip I am the only person at a SC site and have lunch or dinner where as a result my car ends up charging to 100% when I didn't need to. In those instances I'm monitoring on the app and if I saw the site was filling up I would move my vehicle.

So while there may be a small number of instances of people filling to 100% at super chargers every time, I suspect that is very rare and is an education issue, not an LFP issue.

A statement with no real evidence
From this morning on a DC Fast charger, the top one is at 350kw DC, bottom is a 75kw DC..
1715556731128.png

Attachments

• 1715556471059.png
    1715556471059.png
    106.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Personally I'd probably set the limit to 80-90% and then just charge to 100% every now and then.

If you are really concerned about worse battery degradation over time at high state of charge, it may be better to keep it under 70% most of the time, but charge it to 100% occasionally to keep the BMS in sync with the actual state of charge.

However, this may matter less for LFP batteries than for NCA batteries.