Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

License Plate Bulb replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a set of THESE from Amazon, as I prefer dealing with them over Ebay if possible. I chose them because I didn't want the error-free/canbus versions, and they looked like they may be a bit brighter. I'll report back how well they work...

So... now that I've had the car almost a week and have settled down at least a little bit, I remembered I promised to report back on the Classy Autos 36mm Festoon 6 LEDs SMD LED Bulb White LED's I got from Amazon,

They work just fine with one caveat: they are just the tiniest bit shorter in length than the incandescent Festoon bulbs that came with the car. Hence, although they "snap" in to the carrier brackets that are part of the diffuser lens assembly, they aren't a real tight fit. So when you then insert the assembly in to the socket, the electrical connection "prongs" tended to cause them to spin around a bit as you seated the whole affair.

On a normal incandescent lamp this doesn't matter, as the light emanates from all directions. The LEDs, however, are directional and as such the light wouldn't be aiming straight down.

After futzing with it for a bit, I grabbed a 4-inch length of electrical tape, and cut it lengthwise, yielding two 4" x 3/8" strips. I squeezed the carrier brackets of the diffuser tight aganst the bulb ends, and wrapped the tape around the sides of the brackets and lamp. This captured it in the "correct" direction, and still allowed the electrical prongs to "grab" the lamp properly.

They are 6-LED amp assemblies, thus they are pretty bright without being overly so. The result looks much better with the rest of the vehicle lighting IMO:

IMG_20130530_211553_956.jpg

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions. I hope this helps folks who wnat the brighter lamps, and/or prefer to patronize Amazon.

(Oh, and I was an idiot and didn't realize the Amazon part above is PAIR of bulbs... so now I have a spare for when these burn out in 10,000 years...)

Good ideas both. I'll toss em in the car for the next fellow owner I see. If I don't ever give em away, I'll ave them for the X or Roadster

(not really... there's no way the next model won't have LED lights everywhere, right?)

I added these to my car. A point about the light being a bit shorter than the plastic holder/lens. Mine were 2 LED lights but were fairly loose fitting in the holder. I inserted the lights into the metal clips on the car, turned them so they shone down and pushed the plastic holder/lens on after that. Worked fine.

My bet is that Tesla gets the light assembly as a unit from an OEM (??Mercedes) with the fixture, lens, connectors and lamp as one. Cheaper and easier to install on the assembly line this way. I swapped mine out within 5 minutes of taking delivery.

I did this mod this morning. I had the same experience as PhilBa with the bulbs fitting loosely (even swiveling) in the plastic holders but placing them in the metal clips first worked fine. Before and after pics:

onVYH8h.jpg
eNXByUD.jpg

1ggZnXK.jpg
3DEjKwm.jpg

Do be careful with your screwdriver. Even though I was very careful, I added some pretty good scratches on my brand new paint. :crying: I'm hoping that the paint will harden a little more in the next few weeks.