Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
382 lifetime average on P85+ over 5 months and 2,100 miles. SF Bay area. Feels a bit high to me. Should I get it looked at? The rated range of the p85 loaner I had the other day seemed to fall less than mine. Not sure if that's a reliable indicator.
That's winter time driving. Granted, SF isn't as wintery as some places, but it's certainly plenty cold enough to drive up the Wh/mile usage.

I'd guess your 12 month average will be in the 340-350 range. Maybe lower as summer usage will drop substantially. Touring around Sonoma, I was getting pretty close to 300 Wh/mile when I visited last summer.

I'm not sure where the average temperatures came from, but they definitely look too low for the California numbers. We had an exceptionally mild winter this year, and during my commute it was generally in the 50's and 60's, and in Southern California it was even warmer. Showing an average January temp of 45 is way too cold (I think I can remember perhaps one or two mornings of driving where it was that cold). I definitely noticed a step function in energy usage when the temperature dropped below about 50 (where my commute average would jump from 305-315 wh/mile to 330-340 wh/mile). I'm assuming that's the point where the battery needs to be warmed even during driving. It's interesting that the California average is higher than the other warm weather states, presumably because of more high speed freeway driving.

The average January state temperature is from NOAA. It's a 30 year average, 1971-2000, so it's not terribly accurate for this last winter which as you note was very mild in the west and was very severe in the east. I don't know how NOAA defined the average - it probably includes night temperatures, and temperatures from colder places like the Sierras. I think we'd probably get slightly better predictions if we used last year's real numbers but I didn't see these anywhere on online when I did a cursory google search.

Average Winter Monthly Temperatures by USA State - Current Results

Last edited:
Wh Miles State Battery Wheels LastUpdate MBattery
shepali 357 5507 AZ 85 19 4/26/2014 85

It is curious to me that I'm so much higher than the AZ average - I guess its because of my commuting habits. The vast majority of my miles are all from my regular daily commute. My commute is about 26 miles each way.....downhill on the way in with more traffic (thus slower speed), uphill on the way home with less traffic (thus I also drive faster). The difference btwn AM and PM energy usage is dramatic. I haven't kept track lately, but for a while it was 8kwh on the way to work, and like 14kwh on the way home.

Elevation changes seems like a fairly recurrent theme in explaining higher wh/m. You, dlmorgan999, and mnx all note this in recent comments. The 8 kwh downhill (307wh/m) vs 14 kwh uphill (538wh/m) difference in your commute is pretty dramatic...

Interesting. Maybe reset one of the trip meters to see what usage is like now that the weather is warmer? Also, i do a fair amount of stop and go since we live in the city. I bet that contributes but the Avg still sounds high.

I often take the expressway to work and take the local streets coming back. Usually my wh/m numbers on the way back are a bit higher, but not dramatically so: I lose some efficiency from starting and stoping but gain some because I'm going slower. Are going up and down hills a lot?

If you don't think you're getting the range you should be, things you will want to check. For longtime owners these are probably known already, but they may help new owners:

* Alignment: As this thread mentioned, small adjustments in toe-in can make a significant difference in energy usage
* Tire pressure: Make sure your are within a few PSI of the rated pressure for your specific tires. If you don't mind a slightly rougher ride, go a few pounds over the rated pressure on the sticker in your door jam (not over the one on the tire, which is the max PSI)
* Do you have standard regen enabled, or have you turned it to low? For city driving this can make a big difference in energy usage
* Try to pre-condition your car's temperature before unplugging
* Enable Range mode, which will limit the power the climate control system uses, and will give you slightly better watts per mile. If you live in a moderate climate, you may not notice much of a difference

382 lifetime average on P85+ over 5 months and 2,100 miles. SF Bay area. Feels a bit high to me. Should I get it looked at? The rated range of the p85 loaner I had the other day seemed to fall less than mine. Not sure if that's a reliable indicator.

400 miles per month, 12 miles a day. Lots of short trips, probably stop and go, all those hills in SF Bay area...if you run the AC hard, don't use range mode, goose it from time to time and you could see those sorts of numbers. Take it out for a nice 100+ mile road trip, keep it at or near the speed limit with the cruise on and see what you get...I suspect you'll see much better numbers.

Not even close. I definitely push it here and there but not full throttle.
Do you live on a hill and have a relatively short daily commute?

- - - Updated - - -

Also I have been wondering about alignment lately. After the rear tires were replaced (21") service did an alignment. Ever since then normal driving takes more effort. I had service try once again but it only helped a little.
"more effort"
To keep the car straight? Something else?