Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
May and lifetime numbers:
vu3a5evu.jpg

Here's my update as of May 31. I took delivery on June 4 last year, so I'm considering this my anniversary reading. I reset both A and B meters -- decided I'm going to use B as an annual meter... I keep a spreadsheet, so will still report lifetime -- just will be calculated instead of off the trip meter...

Lifetime (4 days shy of 12 months):
ZBB 294 16,726 AZ 60 19 1 5/31/14

May only:
ZBB 286 1,021 AZ 60 19 1 5/31/14

Observations: My Lifetime hit another low. May was the 3rd lowest month -- starting to see the impact of AC use in AZ. Will be interesting to see how the year over year is...

Yay, it's gone down a bit, even with a trip to Raleigh! A lot more driving, too.... As usual, "A" is my near-lifetime and "B" is the past month.

ONE-MONTH:
kendallpb 05-01-2014 318 3,777.8 MD S85 19" (May)
(formerly 331! makes me kinda wish I tracked this month-to-month, but I'm too lazy to go back and pick it out of the thread ;-) )

LIFETIME:
kendallpb 11-09-2013 325 11,699* MD S85 19"
kendallpb 12-01-2013 328 12,596 MD S85 19"
kendallpb 01-03-2014 333 14,460 MD S85 19"
kendallpb 02-01-2014 338 15,637 MD S85 19"
kendallpb 03-02-2014 341 17,326 MD S85 19"
kendallpb 04-02-2014 342 18,230 MD S85 19"
kendallpb 05-01-2014 341 19,825 MD S85 19"
kendallpb 06-01-2014 338 22,008 MD S85 19"

2014-06-01-miles.JPG

2014-06-01-meter.JPG

May:
Paco3791 284 2066 IL 60 19

LIFE:
Paco3791 357 13,009 IL 60 19

- - - Updated - - -

May update:

Lifetime:
26,453.8 miles
9,131.1 kWh
345 Wh/mi

Month:
Car : 2,127.9 miles
Car: 651.3 kWh
Car: 306 Wh/mi

May Actual energy: 785.7 kWh
May Actual Wh/mi: 369.2

So my quick math shows that comes out to ~17% losses due to charging inefficiency. That seems reasonable but higher than numbers I've heard reported elsewhere from Tesla and others on this site (more in the 8-12% range for charging loses), though I haven't seen a ton of actual data on the subject. Any insight you've gained from looking at these numbers?

So my quick math shows that comes out to ~17% losses due to charging inefficiency. That seems reasonable but higher than numbers I've heard reported elsewhere from Tesla and others on this site (more in the 8-12% range for charging loses), though I haven't seen a ton of actual data on the subject. Any insight you've gained from looking at these numbers?

My interest in all of this is simply to try and calculate what comes out of the wall (and hence, what I pay for) that is directly attributed to the car. The trip meter does a pretty good job of reporting what comes out of the battery and makes its way to the road, but I believe they should also have a register that shows what went in via the charge port. I do this with a dedicated meter on my EV circuit and a spreadsheet where I track my public charger use.

Some of this may be attributable to pre-heating the car on shore power, but I didn't do this at all in May. I drive daily and my car doesn't sit around for long periods so, if anything, the "Vampire" losses should be lower in my use case.

A secondary point to my posting this information is to educate people to the fact that the car is actually "using" more electricity than the trip meter reports. If you had a gasoline car with a slow leak in the gas tank, you'd still consider what you paid at the pump, not just the leftover gas that the car burned.

My interest in all of this is simply to try and calculate what comes out of the wall (and hence, what I pay for) that is directly attributed to the car. The trip meter does a pretty good job of reporting what comes out of the battery and makes its way to the road, but I believe they should also have a register that shows what went in via the charge port. I do this with a dedicated meter on my EV circuit and a spreadsheet where I track my public charger use.

Some of this may be attributable to pre-heating the car on shore power, but I didn't do this at all in May. I drive daily and my car doesn't sit around for long periods so, if anything, the "Vampire" losses should be lower in my use case.

A secondary point to my posting this information is to educate people to the fact that the car is actually "using" more electricity than the trip meter reports. If you had a gasoline car with a slow leak in the gas tank, you'd still consider what you paid at the pump, not just the leftover gas that the car burned.

From what I have seen, the charging efficiency is about 10% loss for the AC charger and about 3.3% for charge/discharge cycle. 0.9*0.967= 87% or about a 13% loss.

I believe that the vampire sips whenever the car is not "on." In fact, if there are frequent on/off periods, the vampire is awake more and sips more blood. If we assume that the vampire drinks 3 miles a day, no matter what, then 30 days times 3 rated miles per day is 90 rated miles; at 333 AC Wh/rated mile, that is about 30 kWh of vampire loss. 30 kWh/786 kWh is 3.8% vampire loss. 0.87*0.962= 0.837 or a 16.3% loss; that is getting pretty close to your 17% number...

BTW, here are the Wh per Rated Mile numbers that I have found make sense at various locations in the process:

• 290 Wh per Rated Mile - DC out of the battery - This is what makes rated miles equal actual miles in my M85.
  • 300 Wh per Rated Mile - DC into the battery - This is the number that makes Supercharging rates vs kW make sense. A 3.3% charge/discharge loss.
  • 333 Wh per Rated Mile - AC out of the wall - This assumes 90% efficiency for the AC charger.

Thanks mknox! and please keep posting the numbers.

It's the balloon squeal that gives me such good numbers. I hate that sound. :wink:

Not really, though I don't punch it very often. Most of my driving is commuting from Hayward to South Fremont in the car pool lane. I do try to keep my speed as constant as I can leaving a pretty good gap to the car in front of me. Even on freeway trips I usually stick to 60 mph on cruise. I am surprised at the numbers I'm getting, even wondering if the car is reporting them correctly. This morning I saw the 5 mile graph showing an average wh/m of about 190.

And, my alignment must be pretty good.

I just can't get over how incredible this car is.

Oy, @MichaelS, 278 Wh/mile is an incredible number for a 60 that was produced the same week and is in service in the same area as that of @Kipernicus's, @hans's and mine. We are struggling to come down to 300 and are hovering in the 308-309 range.