Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
photo efficiency.jpg

I am new and have ordered a Model S. Not sure but this maybe a stupid question, but do you want less wh/mi? What does that number mean? I hear its more important than rated miles.

Lower Wh/mi means less electricity used. You purchase Wh by the kWh from your electric company so 1000 Wh = 1 kWh. If your electricity rate is 10 cents per kWh and you drive at 300 Wh/mi it costs about three cents to drive a mile.

Rated range measures how far you can go on what's left of your current charge.

Neither is more important than the other, they measure different things.

I am new and have ordered a Model S. Not sure but this maybe a stupid question, but do you want less wh/mi? What does that number mean? I hear its more important than rated miles.

Things will be much clearer if you think in terms of fundamental concepts, and how they are measured. The battery stores energy. Power is a rate of consumption of energy per unit time.

The standard unit of power is the Watt (W). (Thankfully this is agreed by everyone on the planet.) A kilowatt (kW) is 1000 Watts. (The metric prefix "kilo" means 1000).

A power of 1 kW for one hour represents 1 kWh of energy. Energy = Power * time. So, likewise a power of 2 kW for half an hour would be 1 kWh of energy. Again, the "k" means 1000, so 1 kWh is 1000 Wh.

People are generally more interested in measuring how much energy is used over a given distance, rather than a given time. So if you measure energy in Wh, you could measure your energy use per mile as Wh/mi. A smaller number would mean less energy usage per mile. That is definitely what you want if you want to go further!

"Rated miles" is a measurement of energy, expressed assuming a certain efficiency (somewhere around 300 Wh/mi - ask Tesla what the exact figure they use is). It can be a misleading number, as what's in the battery is energy, not distance. You can use that energy to run the climate control for days, without moving the car, in which case your "rated miles" goes down but your actual miles traveled is zero.

So, in short "rated miles" is a measure of energy, "Wh/mi" is a measure of energy per unit distance. There is no concept of one being "more important" than the other.

199 Wh/km at 30,000 km from December 2012 to today - year round driving

167 Wh/km at 9,000 km from April 2014 to today - warm weather driving

- - - Updated - - -

Summerconsumption since last part of May:
158 Wh\km aka 255 Wh\mile :)
Lifetime 194 Wh\km due to 224 Wh\km-winterconsumption.

Thanks to Jerry33 for some ecodriving-hints :)

Amazing efficiency!

You are getting the same range from a 60 as most of us are getting from the 85s.

320Wh/mi after 17k miles. I drive it like I stole it since I get free electricity, so that's pretty good. Having just moved to Oregon in Feb, it will be interesting to see what a full winter does to that number. I will be pre-heating a lot for comfort reasons.

How are you getting free electricity? Other than SC stations the only options I have are solar and the power company, both of which are far from free.

320Wh/mi after 17k miles. I drive it like I stole it since I get free electricity, so that's pretty good. Having just moved to Oregon in Feb, it will be interesting to see what a full winter does to that number. I will be pre-heating a lot for comfort reasons.
Welcome to Portland. Have you joined the local PDXTesla group, yet?
The winter here is more of a joke. What kills the Wh/mile is the rain and the rotten roads.

I've managed to sort out my information and I'm now keeping track better. My P85 is, oddly, running on PS2 tires in the back and Contis in the front. And I've figured out that short trips in the Florida heat with A/C on full blast, or precooling the car, are a large part of what makes my overall energy use much higer. But anyway, for whatever it's worth:

Format: total miles, miles this period, watt-hours per mile

• 130329-140430: 7275, 000, 366
  • 140501-140531: 7775, 500, 366
  • 140601-140630: 8026, 251, 339
  • 140701-140731: 8166, 140, 347

Notice the first line covers about 13 months, with monthly data from then on.

Is this monthly tracking useful, or is the only useful data the lifetime average? If only the total is useful, that's 8166 miles @ 365 Wh/mile.