Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
zythrin - What's with the 55-59 data? Getting giddy with the coming of spring?

Hehe, no. When I first saw that I thought the same thing.
Then I realized there was only one data point between 55 and 59 degrees and I am sure it was one of the first days, if not the first day we got the car. It was also a pretty short trip, guessing it was to show someone the acceleration on a nearby freeway;)
I included a mini table with the number of data points and the average distance driven each day.
As we get more data points, that should smooth out.

P.S. And yes, I am getting giddy with the coming (so they tell me) spring;-)

It actually is quite fascinating.
I have been tracking daily miles, kWh and temps.
While monthly numbers show a trend, it is pretty noisy.
If, instead, you plot Watts/Mile vs temperature the trend is a lot cleaner. Temp average is pretty easy if you use the National Weather Services numbers. I use 5 degree blocks for temperature.
There is also a pretty strong relationship with daily mileage, I am guessing especially in cold. As the Model S is extremely inefficient in the first few miles of travel while the batteries and cabin are warmed up.

Zythryn - Very interesting. I'm not surprised that you get a cleaner relation with temperature than with month. Temperature seems to be key, although I precipitation and elevation changes are also probably important as ChadS discussed (not to mention driving style). OR and WA for example seem to have somewhat higher numbers wh/mi numbers than the upper midwest and northeast where it is typically 20 degrees colder in the winter. I'm guessing it's precipitation, but not sure.

For your data, it looks like the slope is about -2.2. For every ten degrees warmer it gets, your car uses 22 fewer wh to go a mile.

From a practical point of view, I think we could get decent aggregate statistics if people just kept track of their monthly numbers. A lot of the noise
you see should be washed out by the averaging.

zyth.png

Data update for end of March.
The 21" wheels data based on the second half of march.

Since march 22nd Temp between 20 F to 40 F
650 mi , 233 kWh, 359 Wh/mi

overall since feb 17th including a mix of 19" and 21" and cold temperatures:
1765 mi, 670 kWh, 380 Wh/mi

Temperature above 35 F helps a lot to reduce the Wh/mi.

So... just to make sure that I've got the math right...

For an 85kWh battery & avg. energy of 338 wH/mil ... this would mean an average range of appx. 251.5 miles on a full battery right?
That's right. And I fully expect much better performance going into Spring, I had many days where my usual route I was getting 440Wh/mi, then really got the number down the last 2-3 days of the month where I was seeing sub-300Wh/mi numbers without really trying. And this is mixed highway, rural and city driving with my average commute being 5-15 miles one way depending on exactly what I'm doing.

2013-04-04_18-24-03_429.jpg

Hi All,

This looks like a cool thread, can I join?

I got my Model S on the 17 of March. It's a blue Performance edition with 21" wheels.

Nearly all of my miles are from my daily commute from PA to MD. I'd say about 2/3 of the drive is in MD (down 83). Temps have been on the cold side for this area, however, things have been warming up.

BTW: I'll remember to kill the flash next month..

Last edited:
I've enjoyed being able to keep an eye on my lifetime average energy use, as I haven't ever reset Trip B. After one month of ownership in California and around 1500 miles my average is 326Wh/mi. How are you faring?

I'd love to see a future firmware update that lets me use my trip meters for trips, but still provides access to my lifetime average. I'd also appreciate an automatic trip meter (one that resets when you exit the vehicle), and a per-driver meter.

I have a Ford Focus Electric and averaging 305 Whr/mi since November. Ford has an app that gives us our lifetime average on our iPhone. Interesting to see your average isn't that much more than mine yet you all have a whole lot more power. Your car being aerodynamically cleaner I'm sure helps a lot. I love my electric as you all seem to. Hope one day I can move up to a Tesla as no other car company has anything as good at it.

No cruise control for me. I usually drive between 60-75 mph, with the occasionally burst to 80-90 . My commute is from OC to the San Fernando Valley, about 90% highway. Not as much traffic because I leave at about noon but still always some traffic. There's also a big hill to climb right before the 101. I've noticed that my average is much lower going back home, perhaps it's more downhill coming from the Valley down to OC. I also wonder if they avg kwh calculation is off because any prolonged regeneration really brings the average.

I'm not ready (not enough miles) to update yet since my last post. However, it's becoming clear to me that temperature is huge. Yeah, I know Big Duh! But, I'm actually seeing it now. My first 1000 miles was in cold (sub 40 deg F) weather. Now, I've done a week with >50 deg F and the numbers are consistently below 300 as compared to the high 330's during the cold weather. It's a marked difference.