Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's commendable, great job! I'm just curious what the motivation is to squeeze every bit of efficiency and drive the car like a Nissan Leaf. after all, the Model S is one of the most capable performance cars out there even if not Plaid. I personally enjoy my car's performance.
it is the most comfortable, fastest charging, and longest range car so a good fit for us. We like the performance when passing but otherwise it is over powered for our use. I totally understand those that love the performance however.

that sounds about right, around 270..
I am pretty sure the magic # is right around 246 wh/mi, at least for the Refreshed S LR. I am using the following chart. At ~246 wh/mi, w/ 100 kwh battery pack, you get the rated range of ~405 miles. This fits my empirical experience as well. Stats app tend to tell me I am at ~97% efficiency when I get around 250 wh/mi.

1654924526492.png

I am pretty sure the magic # is right around 246 wh/mi, at least for the Refreshed S LR. I am using the following chart. At ~246 wh/mi, w/ 100 kwh battery pack, you get the rated range of ~405 miles. This fits my empirical experience as well. Stats app tend to tell me I am at ~97% efficiency when I get around 250 wh/mi.

View attachment 815326
This is very usefull. I've been recording charging stats since getting my Model S in February. I've been struggling to adapt my mind to EV cost per mile. Your post will help a lot. Very cool ... thanks.

This is very usefull. I've been recording charging stats since getting my Model S in February. I've been struggling to adapt my mind to EV cost per mile. Your post will help a lot. Very cool ... thanks.

If you care about true cost per mile for your Tesla, you also need to take into consideration of phantom drain. Wh/mi figure does NOT take into consideration of the energy it uses when it’s not moving. Significant factors for phantom drain include COP, sentry mode, summon standby, frequent app check, etc. Look at it this way: wh/mi is how much energy it uses when moving, and phantom drain is how much energy it uses when parking.

You can have great moving efficiency, ie, superb wh/mi, but if you park outside for hours and use COP/sentry etc. and do not take these drain into consideration, you will find your total lost kWh since last charge simply doesn’t not add up.

It gets even more tricky, as tesla tucks away a few % of miles as you drive but put it back under 0% as a safety margin. In another words, let’s say you charge to 100%, and drive at the rated wh/mi w/o stopping, you will find you are still “missing miles” as you drive, but ultimately those miles will be given back in the form of reserve under 0%.

Hope this make sense. It certainly confused me when I started as a first time tesla owner back in February also. You can check out one of the old threads I started for more detailed discussion on phantom drain ("Where's the missing 10 kwh energy use from today?")

STATS app tells me my moving efficiency is good (97% efficiency, better than 75% of S owners), but my phantom drain is horrible (better than only 14% of S owners). But I consider sentry mode a must for me - not only for just in case purpose, but every now and then I get a funny clip and can save it for a shared laugh w/ my family (not to mention potential fame on "Wham Bam Tesla Cam" youtube channel). :) Oh, and, COP is a must for 100 degree Texas summer too.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
If you care about true cost per mile for your Tesla, you also need to take into consideration of phantom drain. Wh/mi figure does NOT take into consideration of the energy it uses when it’s not moving. Significant factors for phantom drain include COP, sentry mode, summon standby, frequent app check, etc. Look at it this way: wh/mi is how much energy it uses when moving, and phantom drain is how much energy it uses when parking.

You can have great moving efficiency, ie, superb wh/mi, but if you park outside for hours and use COP/sentry etc. and do not take these drain into consideration, you will find your total lost kWh since last charge simply doesn’t not add up.

It gets even more tricky, as tesla tucks away a few % of miles as you drive but put it back under 0% as a safety margin. In another words, let’s say you charge to 100%, and drive at the rated wh/mi w/o stopping, you will find you are still “missing miles” as you drive, but ultimately those miles will be given back in the form of reserve under 0%.

Hope this make sense. It certainly confused me when I started as a first time tesla owner back in February also. You can check out one of the old threads I started for more detailed discussion on phantom drain ("Where's the missing 10 kwh energy use from today?")

STATS app tells me my moving efficiency is good (97% efficiency, better than 75% of S owners), but my phantom drain is horrible (better than only 14% of S owners). But I consider sentry mode a must for me - not only for just in case purpose, but every now and then I get a funny clip and can save it for a shared laugh w/ my family (not to mention potential fame on "Wham Bam Tesla Cam" youtube channel). :) Oh, and, COP is a must for 100 degree Texas summer too.
I was gone 8 days and only lost 3% battery charge. I'm very surprised. From Tesla manual I was expecting at least 8% (1% per day). I live by the coast of SoCal so it never reach 86 degrees. I did not leave the Tesla plugged in. The only thing I did was to turn off dash cam and sentry. Also, during the 8 days I never opened the app. The S was garaged the whole time.

Last edited:
I was gone 8 days and only lost 3% battery charge. I'm very surprised. From Tesla manual I was expecting at least 8% (1% per day). I live by the coast of SoCal so it never reach 86 degrees. I did not leave the Tesla plugged in. The only thing I did was to turn off dash cam and sentry. Also, during the 8 days I never opened the app. The S was garaged the whole time.

The key point in your post is "I did not leave the Tesla plugged in".

I was experiencing 6-8 miles (avg. 2.13%) per 24 hours of vampire drain with the car garaged parked and unused, but while plugged in.

Now, I have switched to leaving the car unplugged (with sufficient charge of course) and my results are:
2.6 miles (0.98%) per 24 hours.

Here is the thread I started back in May:

BTW, I have no dash cam and sentry.

View attachment 815326
maybe you can achieve that with 19" wheels and the plastic hubcaps but 246 wh/mi is almost impossible to achieve with the 5000lb heft of the model s and with the 21" arachnids. That's more of a model 3 number. great if you can achieve that but it would not be done under "normal" driving. the EPA rates 405 miles as 280 wh/mi...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-12 at 11.59.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-12 at 11.59.49 AM.png
    100.4 KB · Views: 74
maybe you can achieve that with 19" wheels and the plastic hubcaps but 246 wh/mi is almost impossible to achieve with the 5000lb heft of the model s and with the 21" arachnids. That's more of a model 3 number. great if you can achieve that but it would not be done under "normal" driving. the EPA rates 405 miles as 280 wh/mi...
I see where you get your numbers, but if the Monterey Sticker says 2022 Tesla S LR is rated for 28 kwh/100 mi and that it can go 405 miles, then does that imply it has a 113.4 kwh battery pack, instead of 100kwh?

Also, as I approach 246 wh/mi on my S, my Stats app clearly tells me I am at 100% rated efficiency, which is a number it gets straight from Tesla (not calculated by Stats).

What are we missing here?

I see where you get your numbers, but if the Monterey Sticker says 2022 Tesla S LR is rated for 28 kwh/100 mi and that it can go 405 miles, then does that imply it has a 113.4 kwh battery pack, instead of 100kwh?

Also, as I approach 246 wh/mi on my S, my Stats app clearly tells me I am at 100% rated efficiency, which is a number it gets straight from Tesla (not calculated by Stats).

I'm pretty sure the Monroney sticker is inclusive of charging losses. They may even be using the included 5-15, which is fairly inefficient.

I have no idea how they arrived at that range calculation. However I’m sure that they didn’t base their calculation on the wrong sized battery pack. The 246 watt hrs/mi you mentioned is not a realistic attainment for the majority of S refresh owners. Your assessment would mean that the EPA uses numbers that can only be simulated in the most ideal conditions. Im not saying 246 is impossible but it is improbable. I’m just happy with my results at 270-280 watt hrs/mi and it seems to align with the official range that is advertised.

I have no idea how they arrived at that range calculation. However I’m sure that they didn’t base their calculation on the wrong sized battery pack. The 246 watt hrs/mi you mentioned is not a realistic attainment for the majority of S refresh owners. Your assessment would mean that the EPA uses numbers that can only be simulated in the most ideal conditions. Im not saying 246 is impossible but it is improbable. I’m just happy with my results at 270-280 watt hrs/mi and it seems to align with the official range that is advertised.
It all make sense now. Per what @aerodyne mentioned above, if at the wall plate end the charger provides 28 kwh, given the charging efficiency of 88%, that means only 24.64 kwh is retained in the battery. And that 24.64 kwh needs to go 100 miles in order to hit the rated range of 405 miles given a 100 kwh battery pack size.

24.64kwh / 100 miles = 246.4 wh/mi - basically the exact number that I mentioned.

It all make sense now. Per what @aerodyne mentioned above, if at the wall plate end the charger provides 28 kwh, given the charging efficiency of 88%, that means only 24.64 kwh is retained in the battery. And that 24.64 kwh needs to go 100 miles in order to hit the rated range of 405 miles given a 100 kwh battery pack size.

24.64kwh / 100 miles = 246.4 wh/mi - basically the exact number that I mentioned.
appreciate the clarification.

Reactions: aerodyne
With 2,380 on my Feb 20, 2022 MS LR it shows Lifetime Avg. Energy of 245 Wh/mi. That's with chill in city and Insane on highway. It's a 50 50 mix between city and highway miles. I am guessing that city miles keeps that number down with regenerative braking.

Also, keep in mind that numerous reports show the battery of refreshed is 110kw indeed. That makes it 271kwh/mi as magic (dreamful lol) number.

I thought the opposite would help. By lowering your air pressure aren't you increasing traction and hence more energy spent to move the car?
Not sure, but a tesla tech had to come to my house and replace a tire in my driveway. All my tires were at 35 lbs cold. He changed to 40 lbs, ever since kwh has been much better. They go to 43 or 44 lbs after driving for a bit as they warm up.