Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifted Model Y Owners: Report!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Martian 18x8.5 from last week's sale. Falken Wildpeak 255x55r18.

y1.jpg

y2.jpg

1 week with my new TSV 19" 19x8.5 overland set on my 22MYP from Tsportline and couldn't be happier. Softer ride on bumps and holes and similar range from narrower tires with more aggressive tread. Looking forward to camping and trails in the Spring/Summer.
IMG_1667.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1666.jpeg
    IMG_1666.jpeg
    433.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1675.jpeg
    IMG_1675.jpeg
    479.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1665.jpeg
    IMG_1665.jpeg
    361.2 KB · Views: 30
Finally finished my project. 2023 Tesla Model Y Performance with

T Sportline Bull Bar
T Sportline 18" TS5 Wheel with 255/55/18 Falken Wildpeak tires
T Sportline Lift Kit
Rhino Rack Pioneer rack system
WeBoost Overland Cell Phone Booster
Baja Design XL Linkable Lights on Roof
Baja Design LP4 Lights on Bumper
Baja Design S2 Lights on rear roof rack system
Auxbeam front and rear switch panel controller

The range is unknown as I wasn't aiming for efficiency. Rides amazing on street, dirt and snow.
@diesel733 how do like your setup after living with it for a while? I'm considering converting my MYLR to a light-duty overland vehicle. I am concerned with the impact on range of each modification as my trips are sometimes very long (upcoming SF to Death Valley, and SF to Vancouver trips this year).

1 - How has your range been impacted by adding the roof rack, bull bar and lights?

2 - Is the bull bar useful for anything beyond a good place to mount lights?

Thanks for sharing the pictures and any additional input.

@diesel733 how do like your setup after living with it for a while? I'm considering converting my MYLR to a light-duty overland vehicle. I am concerned with the impact on range of each modification as my trips are sometimes very long (upcoming SF to Death Valley, and SF to Vancouver trips this year).

1 - How has your range been impacted by adding the roof rack, bull bar and lights?

2 - Is the bull bar useful for anything beyond a good place to mount lights?

Thanks for sharing the pictures and any additional input.
If I had to guess, assuming no strong headwinds, if driving with traffic (~70 to 75mph) with properly inflated tires... probably no more than 190 miles of range, if driving slow (60mph) maybe 230 miles on a good day?
I'd love to know the actual numbers though

If I had to guess, assuming no strong headwinds, if driving with traffic (~70 to 75mph) with properly inflated tires... probably no more than 190 miles of range, if driving slow (60mph) maybe 230 miles on a good day?
I'd love to know the actual numbers though
Just finished my overland build. 2006 Lexus GX470 owned since new with nearly 300K miles + mild lift, wheels, tires, etc. Giving it to my son for his round trip to high school and we'll find some trails around here somewhere. It was all DIY and a lot of fun learning about suspension which has always been (and still is) a black art to me.

Anyway, the damn thing only guys 15 mpg with a tailwind. Feels criminally stupid to take it on a long road trip which paradoxically is what it's now built to do sort of. Before investing in roof top tent, awning, kitchen, etc I'm going to pause and think about converting one of our Teslas for overlanding...not rock crawling, but overlanding, camping, etc.

I want to be able to venture 100 miles from the nearest source of electricity and be able to camp out for a few days. I'm going to start by lifting the Tesla and changing out the wheels and tires which is why I've been reading this thread. Then I'll do the rest in steps and post it here.

I can't absorb the huge range hit from @diesel733 's setup. I want to keep range near 275.

Just finished my overland build. 2006 Lexus GX470 owned since new with nearly 300K miles + mild lift, wheels, tires, etc. Giving it to my son for his round trip to high school and we'll find some trails around here somewhere. It was all DIY and a lot of fun learning about suspension which has always been (and still is) a black art to me.

Anyway, the damn thing only guys 15 mpg with a tailwind. Feels criminally stupid to take it on a long road trip which paradoxically is what it's now built to do sort of. Before investing in roof top tent, awning, kitchen, etc I'm going to pause and think about converting one of our Teslas for overlanding...not rock crawling, but overlanding, camping, etc.

I want to be able to venture 100 miles from the nearest source of electricity and be able to camp out for a few days. I'm going to start by lifting the Tesla and changing out the wheels and tires which is why I've been reading this thread. Then I'll do the rest in steps and post it here.

I can't absorb the huge range hit from @diesel733 's setup. I want to keep range near 275.
You might want to consider 24 gallon auxiliary tank for your lexus (Long Range America | Lexus GX 470 & Toyota 4th Gen 4Runner (2003-2009) – 24 Gallon Auxiliary)

As for your Model Y, probably best bet is to go with Gen 2 Model 3's 18" aero wheels combined with all season tires rather than off road tires for range's sake.

Lift options:
$) MPP lift kit (+1.75") with rear camber adjustable arms or their comfort adjustable coilovers which can be set to 1" above stock ride height (this height is not the suspension's max height but is the highest recommended height) you can also get their skidplate.

$$) There's a full off road kit that can be found here: OFF-ROAD CONVERSION KIT FOR MODEL Y/3

$$$) "74weld" can build a version of their portal axles for the model y, it will pretty much allow you to run 35" tires, includes oem-level integration of sensors, comes with wheels + tires + tpms + abs sensor + break + ebreak ... one stop shop for everything suspension .... for the price of a used model 3

Reactions: CarPortal
You might want to consider 24 gallon auxiliary tank for your lexus (Long Range America | Lexus GX 470 & Toyota 4th Gen 4Runner (2003-2009) – 24 Gallon Auxiliary)

As for your Model Y, probably best bet is to go with Gen 2 Model 3's 18" aero wheels combined with all season tires rather than off road tires for range's sake.

Lift options:
$) MPP lift kit (+1.75") with rear camber adjustable arms or their comfort adjustable coilovers which can be set to 1" above stock ride height (this height is not the suspension's max height but is the highest recommended height) you can also get their skidplate.

$$) There's a full off road kit that can be found here: OFF-ROAD CONVERSION KIT FOR MODEL Y/3

$$$) "74weld" can build a version of their portal axles for the model y, it will pretty much allow you to run 35" tires, includes oem-level integration of sensors, comes with wheels + tires + tpms + abs sensor + break + ebreak ... one stop shop for everything suspension .... for the price of a used model 3
Thanks for the input. Going with MPP 1.75 inch lift on our 2021 model Y.

As for the idea of adding an auxiliary tank to the GX, I have considered that. My problem with the GX is that it gets 15 mpg which is extraordinarily wasteful. What I really want to do is convert it to an EV drivetrain however this would cost about $20,000 which is probably not a good use of capital. Will just wait for the R2 which I think is going to be an awesome overlanding rig.

Thanks for the input. Going with MPP 1.75 inch lift on our 2021 model Y.

As for the idea of adding an auxiliary tank to the GX, I have considered that. My problem with the GX is that it gets 15 mpg which is extraordinarily wasteful. What I really want to do is convert it to an EV drivetrain however this would cost about $20,000 which is probably not a good use of capital. Will just wait for the R2 which I think is going to be an awesome overlanding rig.
Converting will probably cost you 3x that (ex
) even without EV incentive (state/fed) R2 will probably end up cost 2/3 or 1/5 of that conversion haha