Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifted Model Y Owners: Report!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have had the car less than a month and yesterday was the first experience in a very light coating of snow and was not left feeling confident. It goes great but the moment you take your foot off the accelerator I felt the rear end wanting to fish tail - had to really focus on my driving the rest of the ride.
The problem is that Tesla's traction control is very good but it's reactive so it quickly corrects once it feels slippage or fishtailing by turning on the front drive unit. This is because they are trying to keep the car in the most efficient mode by mostly only using the rear drive unit while driving, which can cause fishtailing on snow.

I force it to use both motors by putting it in off-road mode which makes driving behavior much more predictable and stable since it's no longer reactive. I just drove through I-70 in Colorado during a snow storm and it was night and day difference once I turned off-road mode and had no issues.

The problem is that Tesla's traction control is very good but it's reactive so it quickly corrects once it feels slippage or fishtailing by turning on the front drive unit. This is because they are trying to keep the car in the most efficient mode by mostly only using the rear drive unit while driving, which can cause fishtailing on snow.

I force it to use both motors by putting it in off-road mode which makes driving behavior much more predictable and stable since it's no longer reactive. I just drove through I-70 in Colorado during a snow storm and it was night and day difference once I turned off-road mode and had no issues.
The only tiny issue I have is that turning TACC (and AP) on turns off Off Road. I'd like the option to use it with TACC at least.

• Informative
Reactions: WattTheHeck
That's fair but the times I've used it there were no lane lines anyways since they're covered in snow and I wouldn't want to use TACC due to the unpredictable drivers around me.
Sure. And it's mostly that for us. I sometimes use it on patchy snow floor when the lines are mostly visible but might temporarily disappear. I like to have all four feet on the ground, so to speak. An edge case that affects us regularly at times of the year.

The following, to me, seems counterintuitive but there's a big chance that 245/60R18 might actually be superior to 255/55R18 as far as contact path is concerned (meaning, a larger tire area is touching the road on the narrower 245 tire)

While not exactly apples to apples ... for ref check this video:

Reactions: Teslu

Yeah I’ll admit I have yet to try that mode

I learned a lot from this thread and got my Model Y LR raised with the T-Sportline Kit, and also added the MPP rear camber arms, I also got installed the Method Wheels 502 18x8 (incl. hubcentric rings) and Falken Wildpeak A/T 235/60/18. With all these, my range went from 305Wh/mi on the 20" inductions to 350Wh/mi. They definitely drive better on wet pavement, my wife feels more confident driving now when it rains. Also I love how much more comfortable at 42psi cold given I drive often on roads with lots of potholes. I wish I had installed the 255/55 for better looks but I got a good deal on this size, and I'm hoping the 235/60 would be a tad more efficient given it's narrower and in theory should lower drag. I'm attaching my alignment results here, front right we couldn't get it to negative camber but nothing much that can be done without additional adjustable arms, just gotta make sure I rotate these every 5000 miles.

Attachments

• 20231214_162412.jpg
    20231214_162412.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 148
  • 20240113_195430.jpg
    20240113_195430.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 20231214_162819.jpg
    20231214_162819.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 20231214_162611.jpg
    20231214_162611.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 20231214_162528.jpg
    20231214_162528.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 62
  • 20231214_162412.jpg
    20231214_162412.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 20231214_162738.jpg
    20231214_162738.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 20231214_162615.jpg
    20231214_162615.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 20231214_162528.jpg
    20231214_162528.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 70
Got the Unplugged Performance Off Road Wheels on my Model Y. Ended up getting Falken Wildpeaks (255/55R18) and they're great. Note that these wheels have a beadlock ring that's only on in 1 of the pictures. I'm not currently using them and I think they actually look pretty cool without the beadlock ring attached. I'm thinking about making an aero cover that will utilize the ring for longer roadtrip drives though and then I can just pull them off when I don't need the extra aero.

Also note that the front tires do rub a tiny bit at full lock. And this is with my Performance Y lifted 1" above stock. I might go up to 2" above stock. I think my adjustable coilovers max out at 3" above stock though.

Attachments

• IMG_1602.jpeg
    IMG_1602.jpeg
    730.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1599.jpeg
    IMG_1599.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1604.jpeg
    IMG_1604.jpeg
    774.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1605.jpeg
    IMG_1605.jpeg
    722.4 KB · Views: 52
Got the Unplugged Performance Off Road Wheels on my Model Y. Ended up getting Falken Wildpeaks (255/55R18) and they're great. Note that these wheels have a beadlock ring that's only on in 1 of the pictures. I'm not currently using them and I think they actually look pretty cool without the beadlock ring attached. I'm thinking about making an aero cover that will utilize the ring for longer roadtrip drives though and then I can just pull them off when I don't need the extra aero.

Also note that the front tires do rub a tiny bit at full lock. And this is with my Performance Y lifted 1" above stock. I might go up to 2" above stock. I think my adjustable coilovers max out at 3" above stock though.
That's weird I run 235/60/18s on the MPP 1.75" lift and no rubbing on a LR

Which coilovers do you have UPP?

Finally finished my project. 2023 Tesla Model Y Performance with

T Sportline Bull Bar
T Sportline 18" TS5 Wheel with 255/55/18 Falken Wildpeak tires
T Sportline Lift Kit
Rhino Rack Pioneer rack system
WeBoost Overland Cell Phone Booster
Baja Design XL Linkable Lights on Roof
Baja Design LP4 Lights on Bumper
Baja Design S2 Lights on rear roof rack system
Auxbeam front and rear switch panel controller

The range is unknown as I wasn't aiming for efficiency. Rides amazing on street, dirt and snow.

What's your range with all of that? My MYP barely gets 250ish miles, couldn't imagine how low it would go with those parts, even though they're cool as hell, lol.

Just got a MPP 1.75" spacer lift and rear camber arms installed. Sitting on stock 19's. right now.
What do you guys suggest if i just want a little more tire protection, and a "all weather" tire like Cross Climate 2 or Nokian WRG4?

I dont mind going 18s but also dont want to spend a ton on aftermarket wheels if possible.
View attachment 1016557
i would try to get the model 3 18s then you can use the aero covers too if you want the added efficiency.. also i'd go with as large (tall) as tire as possible to fill in the gaps i use a 235/60/18 because they are very common in the SUV/CUV world

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Skavatar
i would try to get the model 3 18s then you can use the aero covers too if you want the added efficiency.. also i'd go with as large (tall) as tire as possible to fill in the gaps i use a 235/60/18 because they are very common in the SUV/CUV world
Much appreciated. I might do 18s for winter studded tires, so ill look into that. They look a little taller and skinnier than stock

I have also been seeing 255/50/19 also being used on stock 19s and you can get Nokian and Michelins i metions.

This thread has been reassuring as I’ve just recently ordered our first setup for our 2023 MYLR 5 Seater. Have had the car less than a month and yesterday was the first experience in a very light coating of snow and was not left feeling confident. It goes great but the moment you take your foot off the accelerator I felt the rear end wanting to fish tail - had to really focus on my driving the rest of the ride.

We’ve purchased the MPP Lift Kit, rear camber arms, and skid plate. Getting quotes on install.

Then yesterday with the help of a member here - I ended up ordering a set of 18in wheels and tires. The wheels are Gear Off Road 18x8 with a 35 offset in a satin black - added the Hub Centric rings for any vibration - and went with the 255/55/r18 Falken A/T tires. This setup ran me about $1,750 (no mounting or balancing included)

Will be adding the wheels as soon as possible and then getting the lift kit installed once I get quotes back and install scheduled. We have two certified Tesla body shops in our area so options are limited but feel better knowing a Tesla certified shop will be doing the lift kit and alignment.

Will follow up as parts are installed.
Make sure you have a full size spare too.