Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lighted Tesla T for nosecone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the new video. This is the final version that will be supplied in the test kits, but with one difference -- it has 18 LEDs and the test kits will have 10. Ten is enough for all the proper effects and 18 make installation a total nightmare.

The camera captures reflections that the naked eye largely misses. All of the effects are controlled with this device: View attachment 27574 Info on it and ordering is here:

I added a bit of narration as I used the controller.

I've been leaving the T on all night with no problem. It draws very little current and will only drain the 12v battery over a very long period of time if the car is not plugged in (a week or more).

Hey Rick!

The video looks awesome, I can't wait to install it. I think 10 LEDs will be plenty. In the video, anyway, the 18 LEDs look super bright. I'm pretty sure the brightness is amplified by the camera.

Now that you've had a chance to play with the new controller, I was wondering if you were able to test something... I know the unit has a memory feature whereby it goes back into the mode it was last in when turned on from the remote, but can you make it automatically TURN ON and go back to the last setting when 12V is applied to the power wires?

I'm wondering because I want to not have to physically press a button on the remote control whenever I turn on the car...

Thanks!

Rob

Hey Rick!

The video looks awesome, I can't wait to install it. I think 10 LEDs will be plenty. In the video, anyway, the 18 LEDs look super bright. I'm pretty sure the brightness is amplified by the camera.

Now that you've had a chance to play with the new controller, I was wondering if you were able to test something... I know the unit has a memory feature whereby it goes back into the mode it was last in when turned on from the remote, but can you make it automatically TURN ON and go back to the last setting when 12V is applied to the power wires?

I'm wondering because I want to not have to physically press a button on the remote control whenever I turn on the car...

Thanks!

Rob

I'm not sure but I'll bench test it with an LED strip. Doing it now.

- - - Updated - - -

Just tested it. I'm happy to report that it works. This means, for example, that if the controller interface is wired to the headlight switch, it will always turn on to the setting is was on when the headlights were turned off. No need to push any buttons on the controller.

Wiring to the headlight switch/circuit would be one option. another would be to wire it to constant power, select the mode you want but attach a photosensitive cell to the circuit so it goes on in the dark. Trying to figure out the light circuit. Will run it by my installer who did the radar detector install and post as soon as I get some ideas.

- - - Updated - - -

Just tested it. I'm happy to report that it works. This means, for example, that if the controller interface is wired to the headlight switch, it will always turn on to the setting is was on when the headlights were turned off. No need to push any buttons on the controller.

That's amazing news! Thank you! !

Anyone prefer a fixed brightness that just comes on with the headlights? While cool, I'm not sure I want to fiddle with a remote everytime I want to use the front logo light. Don't get me wrong, I love what you are doing. It's really great.

Also, I had a thought, while you are in the car, you can't see what the logo is doing. Would it b e prudent to have a low intensity indicator light in the cockpit someplace?

Wiring to the headlight switch/circuit would be one option. another would be to wire it to constant power, select the mode you want but attach a photosensitive cell to the circuit so it goes on in the dark. Trying to figure out the light circuit. Will run it by my installer who did the radar detector install and post as soon as I get some ideas.

This is what I'm hoping the testers will do -- make their own enhancements that will further the capabilities of the basic hardware.

It would be cool if you could wire it so that it came on whenever the parking lights or headlights were on.

That's actually what I'd like to do. In past cars, the parking lights were on whenever the headlights were on, so I just had to wire in to the parking lights. In the past, though, I had an electrical manual for the car... I wish one existed for the Tesla. I feel a bit blind poking around in there in a $100k+ car, and that's a tad unnerving.

I'll likely wire an automotive relay to a wire that goes high when the lights are on, to isolate the circuit from the LED controller. I know there's likely plenty enough of current on the lights circuit, but I'd rather isolate and use a tap-a-fuse.

That's the plan anyway, we'll see how it goes.

I love the idea of having an indicator inside the cockpit. The only place I'd be willing to "violate" would be either somewhere around the cubby, or where the USB ports are located. Otherwise, I'm scared to make any holes anywhere else...

We'll see!

Rob

That's actually what I'd like to do. In past cars, the parking lights were on whenever the headlights were on, so I just had to wire in to the parking lights. In the past, though, I had an electrical manual for the car... I wish one existed for the Tesla. I feel a bit blind poking around in there in a $100k+ car, and that's a tad unnerving.

I'll likely wire an automotive relay to a wire that goes high when the lights are on, to isolate the circuit from the LED controller. I know there's likely plenty enough of current on the lights circuit, but I'd rather isolate and use a tap-a-fuse.

That's the plan anyway, we'll see how it goes.

I love the idea of having an indicator inside the cockpit. The only place I'd be willing to "violate" would be either somewhere around the cubby, or where the USB ports are located. Otherwise, I'm scared to make any holes anywhere else...

We'll see!

Rob

The indicator would be very cool. I think it could be done with a single LED and its leads soldered to one of the led pads on the PCB and run back to the cockpit.

Depending on your dash material, it would be easy to do something to the left panel next to the steering wheel. That is where I plan on mounting a pedestrian horn button. I have lacewood and was thinking it would be easy enough to cut a bit it I needed to

probably not the best spot for a light indicator but for rockets/ oil slick / smokescreen buttons, maybe

Haven't updated this thread in a while. The interactions with the testers has resulted in some major changes in plans for the lighted T, even though none have installed the old model yet, fortunately.

Here's where we stand. The revised approach will involve 3D printing of a hollow T and arch that will have space for miniature LED strips. This will make possible much more even and even brighter illumination, will make installation far easier, and will make mass production possible. The new design will also make installation much easier. 3D printing of the first prototype may begin as soon as the end of this week. The first will be for the testers and based on their experiences appropriate enhancements will be made. I'll be working with the testers on this over the next month or so and I hope that we can scale this up in October.

3D printing of the Ts won't be completed until next week and as I'll be in China from then until early October we won't have anything to show until then. But I will say that I've found a way to control lighting of the T from the touchscreen. At the very least we'll be able to turn it on and off and likely control the brightness and mode from the touchscreen.

3D printing of the Ts won't be completed until next week and as I'll be in China from then until early October we won't have anything to show until then. But I will say that I've found a way to control lighting of the T from the touchscreen. At the very least we'll be able to turn it on and off and likely control the brightness and mode from the touchscreen.

Any update on this sir?