Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lightning vs CyberTruck feature spreadsheet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am keeping a spreadsheet comparing my Lightning Lariat to what we know about the Cybertruck. I purchased the Lightning fully intending to replace it with the CT once available but Ford did a damn good job on their first offering so I'm not so sure anymore. Hence the spreadsheet. I added weights based on what is important (to me) and scores based on my own judgement. Would love some feedback on any key features I am missing or any numbers I may have gotten wrong. I only tally the scores that have entries for both vehicles to keep it fair-ish. Also, I am certain there are already a few of these out there so any links to similar content would also be appreciated.

LIghtning vs Cybertruck

1682733834132.png

I am keeping a spreadsheet comparing my Lightning Lariat to what we know about the Cybertruck. I purchased the Lightning fully intending to replace it with the CT once available but Ford did a damn good job on their first offering so I'm not so sure anymore. Hence the spreadsheet. I added weights based on what is important (to me) and scores based on my own judgement. Would love some feedback on any key features I am missing or any numbers I may have gotten wrong. I only tally the scores that have entries for both vehicles to keep it fair-ish. Also, I am certain there are already a few of these out there so any links to similar content would also be appreciated.

LIghtning vs Cybertruck

View attachment 932859
I just saw the lightning in person not to long ago. It’s nice, but not that good

I just saw the lightning in person not to long ago. It’s nice, but not that good
I don't disagree. Its just a truck like every other - but electric. That appeals to a LOT of people who don't like change. I think this was a smart move on Ford's part. I OTOH,, am a self-described technology advocate so am really looking forward to what Tesla actually brings to the table. Meanwhile the Lightning has been a great upgrade from my prior truck (1996 10mpg 7.4L K2500 Suburban). I bought the Suburban new and promised myself then that my next truck would be electric. I naively thought that would be in less than 10 years but I stubbornly held myself to it.

So you “saw” it but it’s “not that good”

Smh….. a Truck is not a toy unless you move into a Raptor or TRX or CT for that matter.

The Lightning is damn near perfect. The space, comfort, ride quality, handling, aftermarket, functionality.

The Achilles for the Lightning is tech, and by that I mean Ford Pass App and features that make owning a Tesla easy. But the lack of that tech doesn’t take away from the driving enjoyment in this truck.

I don't disagree. Its just a truck like every other - but electric. That appeals to a LOT of people who don't like change. I think this was a smart move on Ford's part. I OTOH,, am a self-described technology advocate so am really looking forward to what Tesla actually brings to the table. Meanwhile the Lightning has been a great upgrade from my prior truck (1996 10mpg 7.4L K2500 Suburban). I bought the Suburban new and promised myself then that my next truck would be electric. I naively thought that would be in less than 10 years but I stubbornly held myself to it.
Yeah very true, it’s hard for ppl to change into evs, and Ford did a good job making it a subtle change. If I were to with a truck on the market right now it would be an R1T personally

Yeah it drives
So you “saw” it but it’s “not that good”

Smh….. a Truck is not a toy unless you move into a Raptor or TRX or CT for that matter.

The Lightning is damn near perfect. The space, comfort, ride quality, handling, aftermarket, functionality.

The Achilles for the Lightning is tech, and by that I mean Ford Pass App and features that make owning a Tesla easy. But the lack of that tech doesn’t take away from the driving enjoyment in this truck.
yeah it’s not a “bad” truck, that was my bad of wording it like it’s a bad truck. I am a big fan of the tech of Tesla and I think rivian does a good job with that tech too. Like I said In another post, if I were to go with anything I would probably go with a rivian. Ford did a good job making a subtle ev so it’s not a massive change for ppl who have regular trucks. Maybe in the future as they move more towards evs they will incorporate more of that tech

Yeah it drives

yeah it’s not a “bad” truck, that was my bad of wording it like it’s a bad truck. I am a big fan of the tech of Tesla and I think rivian does a good job with that tech too. Like I said In another post, if I were to go with anything I would probably go with a rivian. Ford did a good job making a subtle ev so it’s not a massive change for ppl who have regular trucks. Maybe in the future as they move more towards evs they will incorporate more of that tech

I honestly hope they don’t. I for one am happy the with the current Tech in the truck. The EV delivery is so damn smooth and Regen is perfect for my taste, although they should offer more options for the end user on Regen.

The Truck is Fast enough and delivers power at any speed , doesn’t have the Mach-E limitation which I think is great. The biggest issue for me is that it’s speed limited to about 105.

As far as looks, if you want people to point and take pictures, yeah this isn’t the truck for you. Other than that the truck is beautiful inside and out.

I honestly hope they don’t. I for one am happy the with the current Tech in the truck. The EV delivery is so damn smooth and Regen is perfect for my taste, although they should offer more options for the end user on Regen.

The Truck is Fast enough and delivers power at any speed , doesn’t have the Mach-E limitation which I think is great. The biggest issue for me is that it’s speed limited to about 105.

As far as looks, if you want people to point and take pictures, yeah this isn’t the truck for you. Other than that the truck is beautiful inside and out.
This is often a question I have with non-Tesla EVs. Can you set it to 1-pedal driving and it will stay in max regen always? The Volvo XC40 I had while waiting for my MXP had that and it was awesome. But some EV reviews in Car & Driver and such talk about using paddle to adjust regen and other gimmickry. I want 1-pedal driving first and forever. I never need to decrease - what a stupid idea.

This is often a question I have with non-Tesla EVs. Can you set it to 1-pedal driving and it will stay in max regen always? The Volvo XC40 I had while waiting for my MXP had that and it was awesome. But some EV reviews in Car & Driver and such talk about using paddle to adjust regen and other gimmickry. I want 1-pedal driving first and forever. I never need to decrease - what a stupid idea.
Having the ability to adjust the Regen to the taste of each individual driver is not a stupid idea. If you want heavy Regen, fine go for it.

I always turn mine to Low on the freeway for safety reasons. I want the car to coast rather than slow down hard so drivers behind be don’t crash into me do to slowing traffic. When set to Low the car reacts more like other cars around me when I’m off the accelerator pedal. Safer for me. Smart, not stupid.

This is slightly off-topic and probably shouldn’t be included in the feature list, but 3 huge factors for me are:

1) ability to buy online and avoid a dealership — I hate those guys;
2) the Tesla charging network — makes up for a a lot of shortcomings in the vehicle itself;
3) mobile service — neither my Model S nor my R1T have ever seen the inside of a service center;

This is slightly off-topic and probably shouldn’t be included in the feature list, but 3 huge factors for me are:

Agree! I was painfully reminded about how much dealers suck when I bought my Lightning.
2) the Tesla charging network — makes up for a a lot of shortcomings in the vehicle itself;
Valid, but would not be a high weight for me since I only rarely charge away from home. None-the-less, I agree this is very important since there is a large population which does not have the means to charge at home.
3) mobile service — neither my Model S nor my R1T have ever seen the inside of a service center;
Yeah, I do like that. Ford also recognizes this is an important feature and has started their own (https://www.ford.com/service/ford-mobile-service). I have not tried to use it yet so cannot comment on how well executed it is but it appears Tesla is not only forcing other brands to make better cars but also deliver better service.

3) is a double edged sword. Mobile Service is *great* but at the same time you could argue that the large Ford dealership network with attached service is *vastly* superior to Tesla Service Centers in only metropolitan areas. You get a loaner at Ford and not "uber credits only" and there is less of a wait time and you can actually speak with a human being.... and some truck buyer in Waco doesn't have to drive 2+ hours north to Dallas for a service visit...