Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lights off shortcut?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fairly frequently I'm parked in the car after dropping off a passenger. At those times I usually prefer to shut off the lights, both headlights and interior.

Does anyone know of an easy way to accomplish this?

Opening and closing the charge port shuts the headlights off, but has the downside of wear and tear on the servo... plus it doesn't shut off the interiors. Seems like a silly thing to do to cut the headlights (but I do it anyway).

Would be nice to have one button for this.

When I want to do this I simply click on the settings and click to turn off the lights. Not a one button solution, but something I can do in about 5 seconds.
So touch the green light icons on the top left of the visualization window, then touch both blue buttons that pop up?

That's more work than opening and closing the charger port, minus the wear and tear. Doesn't take care of the interiors, right?

So touch the green light icons on the top left of the visualization window, then touch both blue buttons that pop up?

That's more work than opening and closing the charger port, minus the wear and tear. Doesn't take care of the interiors, right?
no, not what I am saying. Just experiment and you will see what I mean :)
But let me elaborate. You first seemed more concerned about unnecessary wear and tear, so this is a two button press to solve your issue.
Want dome lights off too. Easiest thing is voice command, "turn off dome lights."

Last edited:
Maybe I misunderstood, plus I may not have been clear in my original post. I can hit settings, then under controls just turn the lights off... but then they're no longer on auto.

I want the lights to stay "auto", but sometimes I want to preemptively shut them off while I'm sitting in the car (because they're super bright and blind people or shine in store windows). Then when I hit the brake pedal and put the car in gear they'll turn back on.

Opening and closing the charge port accomplishes this well, with the unfortunate downside of actually opening and closing the charge port. Plus it doesn't kill the interior lights.

Would be nice if touching the onscreen car's headlight cut all the lights when parked.

I just push the lock icon above the car on the screen. One click and you done.
Okay so this turns off the interior lights, good to know. It doesn't turn off the headlights though.

Between locking the car and opening/closing the charge port I can now turn off all the lights, albeit with the downsides of 3 icon presses (not a big deal) plus wear and tear on the charge port servo (bigger problem IMO).

Wishing for a single "lights out" button for Christmas. Probably will get v12 with more retro games and worse everything else instead 😉

Okay so this turns off the interior lights, good to know. It doesn't turn off the headlights though.

Between locking the car and opening/closing the charge port I can now turn off all the lights, albeit with the downsides of 3 icon presses (not a big deal) plus wear and tear on the charge port servo (bigger problem IMO).

Wishing for a single "lights out" button for Christmas. Probably will get v12 with more retro games and worse everything else instead 😉
Hmm. It does turn off all the lights for me. That’s the reason I do it. I have them set on Auto.

Interesting. I just tried again with "Headlights after exit" on, no dice.

I stopped installing updates just before they pushed the "vision only" update (month or two ago), so perhaps it was a recent change.

Do you know if yours has always turned the lights off when pressing lock?

I don't have s suggestion to turn the lights off while allowing them to go back to auto when you put the car in Drive again. However, I wouldn't be so concerned with wear and tear to the charge port flap servo. It's easy and not expensive to replace the charge port door (and attached servo), and even if it fails you can still open and close it manually.

Fairly frequently I'm parked in the car after dropping off a passenger. At those times I usually prefer to shut off the lights, both headlights and interior.

Does anyone know of an easy way to accomplish this?
When I pull the left stem to flash the high beams, a light menu appears on the screen and allows me to turn OFF the headlights. Then, when return to Drive, the screen alerts me that "the headlights are set to OFF", and I can return them to AUTO. I forget if that was configurable.