Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Likelihood of a CHAdeMO adapter for the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are right- there are already LOTS of CHAdeMO chargers about every 40 miles on many of the highways here in WA as well as OR as a part of the "green highway" and I am told in much of Europe and Asia as well. They are in public lots by burger stations, etc, and available 24/7. Being able to access them, instead of just the slow speed adapters included with my car would make trips to the airport / city, etc infinitely more convenient. In speaking with Tesla customer support last week, I was told that "there are no current plans to create a CHAdeMO adapter for the S" in spite of the enormous benefit that it would provide for people like me that have a CHAdeMO infrustructure already in place. He took my VIN # and submitted a request in to his superiors to consider it's development. He told me that the more people that placed such a request, the more influence it would have on Tesla. If you are reading this thread and think that it would be a good idea for Tesla to make a (ChAdeMO) adapter available, consider calling customer service to request that they prioritize it. Better yet, if you have any influence (?tweet-o-sphere; publishing, etc) do whatever you think might help this effort along.

Hey all you guys that live in Los Angeles, there are two chademo fast charge stations in San Diego. I've heard one of the issues some Angelinos have is doing a day trip down to San Diego. Without a fast charger somewhere in San Diego it is hard to pull off. But if the Tesla had chademo compatibility...

I'd expect Japan to get the same single phase connector that the US has.

I'd agree that they will get likely the same port. That said, it is possible that Tesla could limit the ability for the adapter to only work on Japan-spec cars via software.

But God, I hope they don't. I would see no reason not to make it available. It does nothing to detract from the value of the MS or the Tesla brand. IMO, it only enhances it. And greatly.

ditto that... rather disappointed in Tesla with respect to this and am prepared to go third party if need be. a few of us, myself included bought the car contingent on an adapter being made and were assured that one was on the way. now, the company response is that they have no plans. We've already got more CHAdeMO up here than Tesla is planning on putting in the entire country, being locked out doesn't feel good! The reality is that there are millions of gas stations in comparison. while I don't think we need millions of fast chargers, I do think we need probably thousands at the very least, way more than Tesla's planned 100. everyone departs from varying points and goes to varying points, not just from city to city, requiring a variety of options.

I think everyone in northern Ca, oregon and washington and nevada and...would want one
I'd be a little concerned if Tesla didn't make one. But I'll buy the cheaper one as long as it works and is 'safe'

Vander, could you reference the thread where Phil posted that? Thanks.

I'm no Vander, but here's the quote:

Whether Tesla ultimately offers a CHAdeMO adapter or not, if there is serious demand for one, I'll build it.

-Phil

It's on page 46 in this thread (post #452). And there's also this:

Chad what's your best guess on if and when an owner or 3rd party will make an unofficial CHAdeMO adapter for the Model S (if Tesla doesn't offer one in the U.S./Canada)?

We'll be happy to make one, but the cost is going to be high, if nothing else, simply because the connectors are pricey!

In form, it would have to resemble this adapter:

?tesla-j1772-adapter.jpg

We've built several of these to allow charging a J1772 vehicle (including the Model S) from a Roadster charger.

-Phil

...and that's on page 51 in this thread (post #502).

I'm curious as to where anyone would find the Tesla connector for the car end. Tesla doesn't sell it seperately, but I guess one could just buy a UMC to get it. I'm guessing that this connector is not going to be able to be produced for under $2k in any kind of small volume. How many people would buy it for $3k?

I'm curious as to where anyone would find the Tesla connector for the car end. Tesla doesn't sell it seperately, but I guess one could just buy a UMC to get it. I'm guessing that this connector is not going to be able to be produced for under $2k in any kind of small volume. How many people would buy it for $3k?

The modified LEAF EVSEs he makes start out as a LEAF stock EVSE which is modified. So, yes, the cost of the LEAF EVSE is included in the full price (or he'll modify an eixsitng one for an upgrade fee if you send him the original). But I dont know how easy it would be for the Chademo application. I dont think the UMC is rated for that much kW, so, not sure if that's feasible.

Definitely interested in one if Tesla officially decides not to release one for US owners and there are no software limits.

I know you couldn't use the UMC, but would need to buy one to source the Tesla connector. That connector appears to be the same. I guess he could sell the remainder of the UMC with a J1772 end to rav4 ev owners.