Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Likelihood of a CHAdeMO adapter for the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I almost forgot about that. If a CHAdeMO adapter is legal, they could have gone with a three phase version of the Model S socket instead of a Mennekes socket as they have done now. I wonder if they were able to lobby the IEC to change the adapter ban.

Maybe the illegal issue is to plug a Type 2 into an adapter, but as the CHAdeMO is not under the EU norm but under its own norm (I think), maybe it's allowed to be plugged into an adaptor.

I think you're looking at least 2-3 times $750 unless Tesla plans on losing money on them. The high power connectors and electronics are not cheap.

The connectors probably cost a bit, but you only need a CHAdeMO inlet, not an expensive plug. The other plug Tesla makes themselves. Any electronics would be cheap low power protocol translation stuff, there is no need for any high power electronics.

My guess is around $1000.

Why do you think the CHAdeMO inlet is not an expensive plug? I priced them out a while ago and couldn't find any source of them at anywhere a reasonable cost. Do you have a cheap source?

Peter

The connectors probably cost a bit, but you only need a CHAdeMO inlet, not an expensive plug. The other plug Tesla makes themselves. Any electronics would be cheap low power protocol translation stuff, there is no need for any high power electronics.

My guess is around $1000.

Why do you think the CHAdeMO inlet is not an expensive plug? I priced them out a while ago and couldn't find any source of them at anywhere a reasonable cost. Do you have a cheap source?

Peter

Nope, but Nissan charges $700 for the QC option on the Leaf. That includes quite a lot more than the inlet, which they probably pay no more than $100 for or thereabouts.

What I must pay for one and what Tesla must pay for 5000 has little correlation.

given what the lack of super chargers is doing to Tesla's reputation in cold weather, it would be money well spent in the PR realm to just give them away with the car upon request. $100,000,000 is a lot of lost revenue, mostly based on perception, IMHO. At least Tesla could point to the demonstration area's as an example of what the future holds. It's going to be a loong time before Tesla is able to come anywhere close with the super charger installs to the number of DCQC's we already have in the ground here in the NW, and the number increases every couple of weeks!

Hate to say it, but methinks $500.00 is a bit low. I'm thinking more like $750 or better.

Last edited:
Maybe the illegal issue is to plug a Type 2 into an adapter, but as the CHAdeMO is not under the EU norm but under its own norm (I think), maybe it's allowed to be plugged into an adaptor.
I doubt that is the case since CHAdeMO is currently working to get their standard approved to be part of the IEC spec. If that is the case, the adapter would become illegal after CHAdeMO gets approved.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, but Nissan charges $700 for the QC option on the Leaf. That includes quite a lot more than the inlet, which they probably pay no more than $100 for or thereabouts.

What I must pay for one and what Tesla must pay for 5000 has little correlation.
Well it's not just a simple inlet. Tesla also has to pay for all the R&D to basically "emulate" the CHAdeMO protocol and all the signals (including analog ones). And it'll come with extra bulky cabling to handle up to 50kW DC. Basically it will not cost any less than a UMC (which costs $1500 for the Roadster, not sure how much for the Model S).

Well it's not just a simple inlet. Tesla also has to pay for all the R&D to basically "emulate" the CHAdeMO protocol and all the signals (including analog ones). And it'll come with extra bulky cabling to handle up to 50kW DC. Basically it will not cost any less than a UMC (which costs $1500 for the Roadster, not sure how much for the Model S).
Yep, good estimate. You can buy a CHAdeMO inlet from Nissan for about $700 retail which pretty much puts a minimum price on the adapter. Sure Tesla should be able to get it for cheaper, but as you've stated, you still need to add in the rest of the parts (it's going to need some electronics, possibly high current contactors, a decent amount of cable, etc).

Heck - Tesla charges $750 for a simple J1772-Roadster adapter. The Roadster UMC is $1500 - the CHAdeMO adapter will undoubtedly more more complex and beefier than the UMC - I'll stick with my minimum $1500-2000 for a CHAdeMO adapter and won't be surprised if ends up being around $3k.

I've said this umpteen times now but it keeps getting forgotten... IEC is a standard, not the law.
I understand that, but I put it that way to simplify what I mean. I'm assuming any policy the IEC backs will be enforced via law throughout Europe.

Kind of like in the US, NEC is not a "law" but it's still locally enforced and basically illegal practically everywhere in the US to violate any part of it. The analogous part of it to the IEC adapter policy is NEC 625, which covers EVSEs. Basically no manufacturer dares to violate it even though it's not officially "law" and there may be some local areas that do not have that part of the standard in their law. It's also the reason why there are very few "mobile chargers" that can use 220V since it requires a whole bunch of safety features under NEC 625, whereas 110V doesn't.

The S UMC costs $500. Probably because of the much larger production volume.

a tour would definitely be fun or maybe more like a swarm, like assign an S for each potential major route, all start at the same time from our various points of origin and post progress in real time, showing the full sprawl that is possible with the S and a fast charging network throughout the region, oh, now I'm getting excited. Tesla's already got a proving ground set up here in the Northwest and they apparently don't even know it, the CHAdeMO network is massive if you imagine a 250 mile driving radius from each DCQC in WA and OR. The west coast green highway goes all the way out to wenatchee, which is only 170 miles from Spokane, the stations go all the way out to the OR coast, the possibilities are impressive with the 85kW S combined with this network! the final locations could involve an overnight at various RV capable campgrounds, or hotels/motels with decent proximity to at least L2, allowing for a demonstration of the full distance one can go with an overnight "max range" charge for the returns. we could assure that everyone participating has a basic understanding how to achieve a desired range. doing it as a caravan could be fun but it would require a lot of logistics... there are enough DCQC's along i-5 that the S's could alternate stops to keep the flow going. the possibilities are many and right now they all hinge on a CHAdeMO adapter! Whose got connections to corporate? maybe if they knew we were planning this a few small mountains could be moved, it might just put the wind back in the sails with some impressive press coveerage!!!!

More than making each of us buy an adapter, if they are really going to be that expensive, perhaps Tesla can work out with the DOT here to provide a lock box with a chained adapter inside with adequate proximity to the parking spot and DCQC's? The good PR karma would be well worth the money, and much cheaper per location than installing as many super chargers and we wouldn't then have to lug the adapters around.

Sounds like fun to me. How long would these jaunts be? If it can be squeezed in a weekend, those of us occupied during weekdays could join the tour.

Last edited: