Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Likelihood of a CHAdeMO adapter for the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's another vote for wanting a CHAdeMO adapter. Washington and Oregon recently put in nearly 50 high current DC CHAdeMO chargers along all the major roadways as part of the West Coast Electric Highway project. In a sense, we already have a complete Supercharger network installed up here that Model S owners can't use until Tesla puts out an adapter.

+1

I was surprised how many are up here. With an adapter getting around the northwest would be no issue.

Hey, I'm looking forward to the adaptors too, but let's not go crazy. Would you rather have the car without the adapter or the adapter without the car.

ya, the car rocks even without being able to go skiing this year! but it would be nice ;>

But, since there is a network in place, it would be nice to be able to use it ( when I got my car I had no Idea there was a CHAdeMO network in OR/WA already so no question about the car vs adapter )

I agree, being in an area with a substantial network and being locked out of it with such a premium car is a real drag.

ya, the car rocks even without being able to go skiing this year! but it would be nice ;>

But, since there is a network in place, it would be nice to be able to use it ( when I got my car I had no Idea there was a CHAdeMO network in OR/WA already so no question about the car vs adapter )

Generally speaking, how quickly do we anticipate a Model S charging on a CHAdeMO charger like those in Washington and Oregon? I assume it's not nearly as quick as a Tesla Supercharger but does anybody had a feel for what kind of charge speed we can expect?

Generally speaking, how quickly do we anticipate a Model S charging on a CHAdeMO charger like those in Washington and Oregon? I assume it's not nearly as quick as a Tesla Supercharger but does anybody had a feel for what kind of charge speed we can expect?

Regardind Supercharger only charges above 50 kW for a while (about 40% of the average charging time), I assume with CHAdeMO it will take almost same time as Supercharger when SOC is over 60% and maybe one and a half times when under.

Rather than post a boring > 1 hour video, I plotted a graph for ya ...

zCUCcTC.png

Edit: This was done in ~20F weather so there weren't any effects of tapering the charge to keep the battery temps down.

Yes, Ecotality has installed a bunch of Chademo stations in the PHX area lately. an adapter to allow the MS to use that would do wonders for the charging options for MS owners here. I'd dare say having one would actually impact sales for the MS.

Update: just checked as of today there are 22 Chademo stations in the greater PHX metro area. And they are nicely spread out around town.

I think with the Chademo adapter on a 50kw station the charge times will be very close to the Supercharging times due to the steep decline in charge speed during the session. Here is a great study on fast charging between a 25KW charger and a 50kw charger: http://www.americas.fujielectric.com/sites/default/files/DC%20Quick%20Charging%20-%20FEA%20Comparison%20Study%20%20%2825kW%20vs%20%2050kW%29%207-3-12.pdf. 50kw charger is only 7-10 minutes faster charging a Leaf than a 25kw charger. My guess is that a Supercharger will only be 7-10 minutes faster than the adapter on a 50kw Chademo charger on the Model S.

Yeah, the state (WA anyway, I'm not positive what OR did) put out an RFP for CHAdeMO stations, and then after Aerovironment won, begged them to put in J1772 stations as well - for free. Aerovironment, like most companies only makes 30A J1772 stations so 30A is all they got. Too bad, as 70A units all over WA and OR would have been awesome for the Roadster.

Yeah, the state (WA anyway, I'm not positive what OR did) put out an RFP for CHAdeMO stations, and then after Aerovironment won, begged them to put in J1772 stations as well - for free. Aerovironment, like most companies only makes 30A J1772 stations so 30A is all they got. Too bad, as 70A units all over WA and OR would have been awesome for the Roadster.
... and for Model S.

... and for Model S.

Very true. I left that out because Supercharger buildout OR a CHAdeMO adapter the Model S would be better for the S. But we don't have either of those here yet, so yeah 70A L2's on the West Coast Green Highway would be a very welcome addition. (I did try to get the state to have them put in before this all happened, but given that they were begging for any L2 and AV didn't have 70A units, it was a no-go).