Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Likely MCU Failure (MCU1 eMMC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been consistent message since I think Thursday.
Air suspension has been unavailable a couple times though that might have been ice related.
On one of the power off reboots and restarts I got an error about "can not drive plugged in" when it was not.

Screen has been displaying fine, I stream music probably 70% of the time I drive and it had been pretty good occasionally a song will cut off and it will load another but not enough that that alone would be noteworthy.

FWIW the car is tracking position fine maps are moving behind the music/camera tabs.
The maps is on a separate card. However the main eMMC has many references to it. So there is a good chance it is eMMC related, since depending on what files get corrupted, different errors can occur. The list we have just outlines what people have identified so far. None of the MCU's I've seen have failed in any different way.

Once we create the backup and check it, i'm pretty sure we will see a high level of corruption on one such as yours.

Last fall the car went in for front suspension work. Drove home 180miles fine. In the morning I had cascading errors that lead me to believe there was an abs wire issue.
Next time I drove the car was fine and has been since. Never heard from Tesla if they remotes in and looked at anything then.

Last fall the car went in for front suspension work. Drove home 180miles fine. In the morning I had cascading errors that lead me to believe there was an abs wire issue.
Next time I drove the car was fine and has been since. Never heard from Tesla if they remotes in and looked at anything then.

Yes, all these seemingly "random errors" does look to be eMMC.

@TheFro and @StarLog that is the gateway SD card, the maps microSD card is located on the right side of the unit on the back side of the board. There is a little slot to access it, and often the microSD card has tape covering it to ensure it stays in. We have had a case where a leaking MCU screen got the goo on the slot and shorted out the microSD reader on the MCU. Sorry no pics right now, will post when I can and if I remember.

Thanks @EV-Fixme So the million dollar question: if I paid Tesla and they replaced my MCU less than 6 months ago and this SD card just now failed, should it be covered under the 4 year/unlimited warranty of the MCU or am I on the hook for the replacement cost?

Thanks @EV-Fixme So the million dollar question: if I paid Tesla and they replaced my MCU less than 6 months ago and this SD card just now failed, should it be covered under the 4 year/unlimited warranty of the MCU or am I on the hook for the replacement cost?

I think it would depend on if they moved it from your old MCU or if it is a different one that came with the new MCU.

AFAIK the refurbished MCU comes with both SD and MicroSD cards so I would expect they are part of the 1 year warranty. I dont think there is a 4 year warranty? However I've never purchased one. You should be able to push on them to replace after only 6 months.

The maps is on a separate card. However the main eMMC has many references to it. So there is a good chance it is eMMC related, since depending on what files get corrupted, different errors can occur. The list we have just outlines what people have identified so far. None of the MCU's I've seen have failed in any different way.

Once we create the backup and check it, i'm pretty sure we will see a high level of corruption on one such as yours.

Took a few go rounds of them remoting into the car but they seem to have it resolved. Claim there was a corruption on the dedicated maps SD card and reformatting resolved it.

My 2015 model S have the blank screen, failure error message from service center is MCU_w031_cidSquashfsError. Was quoted $3700 Canadian before tax.
I have created a spreadsheet hoping to track the issue, and provide the impacted number of users to Tesla. I hope this provides visibility to the issue.
The link is here: Tesla MCU Failed Tracking Spreadsheet

My 2015 model S have the blank screen, failure error message from service center is MCU_w031_cidSquashfsError. Was quoted $3700 Canadian before tax.
I have created a spreadsheet hoping to track the issue, and provide the impacted number of users to Tesla. I hope this provides visibility to the issue.
The link is here: Tesla MCU Failed Tracking Spreadsheet
Mine started failing at 20574 KM(12777miles),4y4m old, the MCU factory reset itself, lost 3G connectivity, end up costing me $3714AUD(GST included), Tesla wanted $4000, I had a quote from Tesla for $3788. I also got the drive unit replaced under warranty.

Reactions: dekuramen
How hard is it to do this whole process if you haven't done soldering before or worked with Linux?

I've read this whole thread and the others (maybe I missed some of them?) and was looking to see if anyone got to do it without any previous experience in either soldering eMMC's or Linux.

I'm quite good with computers and DIY stuff as long as I follow some instructions and I would really like to get into fixing these MCU's for the South Coast of UK. There is someone offering this fix in UK but quite far from where I am and at the moment it's the only place I know that does this.

Well, my MCU just died, presumably the eMMC. I have a 2015 P85D with 60,500 miles on it. I had one streaming radio station that wasn’t working, so I rebooted the MCU. The screen stayed dark and wouldn’t respond to further double scroll wheel holding. Tesla support was able to connect and reset some things, but it still wouldn’t reboot. It is at the service center right now to get a refurbished MCU installed. I have the ESA so it will only cost me $200. The service advisor said it would have been $1500 otherwise.

• Informative
Reactions: dark cloud
I just bought my 2016 90D used on Thursday and Friday the eMMC started failing. Took it in yesterday and yup, needs to be replaced. $1600 total and he said it will be an upgraded model(not even sure what that means). Great way to start in the Tesla experience. I am shocked this hasn't raised more waves since it is a known issue that will happen to everyone around the 4-year mark, or at least a large majority of the early adopters. I would think they would have offered to replace the eMMC chip for free once it was found their updates were going to cause this sooner or later.

I just bought my 2016 90D used on Thursday and Friday the eMMC started failing. Took it in yesterday and yup, needs to be replaced. $1600 total and he said it will be an upgraded model(not even sure what that means). Great way to start in the Tesla experience. I am shocked this hasn't raised more waves since it is a known issue that will happen to everyone around the 4-year mark, or at least a large majority of the early adopters. I would think they would have offered to replace the eMMC chip for free once it was found their updates were going to cause this sooner or later.

AFAIK only way to get upgraded size chip is 3rd party. We can help you if you want. $1600 is a new price, MCU replacement was $2300 from what I heard before. I wonder if they are changing things up?