Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After reading this article today in electrek:
First picture of Tesla’s new NVIDIA onboard supercomputer for Autopilot installed in a car

It seems that the current hw2 vehicles can realistically achieve level 4 with the processing power of the current chipset, and although a swap out for newer components is possible, Tesla believes it can fine tune the software to alleviate the need for a more powerful hardware swap. With this in mind, I wonder if this same techniques could be applicable to the previous generation hardware to achieve a higher level of autonomy with a limited hardware suite.

I'm always hoping for leaps in hw1 features but I'm thinking even if they could advance it, they would hold back until hw2 catches up to avoid the perception of broken promises and missed timelines. I can see a few folks getting angry after a hw2 update that brings it to parity, only to have hw1 gain another feature that hw2 has to wait for, even knowing that the day will come when hw2 passes hw1's capabilities.

I don't think hw1 can go any further mainly due to the late of cameras in the sides, so it will never be able to turn on it's own.

Hw2 looks very interesting, seem that it has a Ethernet port built in as well, would be very nice to get access to that :)

Reactions: fasteddie7
After reading this article today in electrek:
First picture of Tesla’s new NVIDIA onboard supercomputer for Autopilot installed in a car

It seems that the current hw2 vehicles can realistically achieve level 4 with the processing power of the current chipset, and although a swap out for newer components is possible, Tesla believes it can fine tune the software to alleviate the need for a more powerful hardware swap. With this in mind, I wonder if this same techniques could be applicable to the previous generation hardware to achieve a higher level of autonomy with a limited hardware suite.

I'm always hoping for leaps in hw1 features but I'm thinking even if they could advance it, they would hold back until hw2 catches up to avoid the perception of broken promises and missed timelines. I can see a few folks getting angry after a hw2 update that brings it to parity, only to have hw1 gain another feature that hw2 has to wait for, even knowing that the day will come when hw2 passes hw1's capabilities.

I think it's more a lack of sensors than lack of hardware holding back HW1