TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Proprietary software hold up or something else?

Discussion in 'Autonomous Vehicles' started by fasteddie7, Aug 28, 2017.

1. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

Excuse my ignorance on this subject but I couldn't help but wonder about the current state of autopilot for both Hw1 and Hw2. When it comes to the mobileye hardware and Tesla vision hardware, does Tesla have the ability to continue to develop software for Hw1 vehicles or do they run the risk of getting sued by mobileye and therefore cannot use any HW1 code for HW2 and that is what is taking so long. In addition to this does this mean that going forward Hw1 will have to be developed carefully to avoid using any code that could be considered proprietary and run the risk of getting sued. Any thoughts or insight from people who know?

2. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

I don't think anybody around here knows Tesla licensing situation with AP1 code. I'm not even sure we know for sure if that MobilEye firmware was written by Tesla or accepted as binary blob from MobilEye instead.

What we do know is that that firmware did not change since the split or there about.

• Informative x 1
  3. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

I wonder what the endgame is with AP1 and just how far it will develop. Still waiting for highway exit and a better summon, and if what they learn from AP2 will get coded into AP1 or if the hardware is too different.