TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

List of Android phones that work >99% of the time

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by gearchruncher, May 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. gearchruncher

gearchruncher Member

As someone with a Model 3, and an Android user, the phone-as-key has been the only frustrating part of ownership. My Nexus 5X and wife's Moto X Pure are only about 50% reliable even with the tasker workaround. I shouldn't have to, but I'm considering buying phones that will just work.

So, who here has an Andoid phone that just works? If you do, please list what it is, and what OS you're on. Let's try and keep this informative and just a list of phones that people have had great experiences with.

2. doubleatheman

doubleatheman Member

Not the Moto G5 or Pixel 2XL. My pixel 2xl works 85% of the time. The Moto G5 fails almost every time.

3. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

4. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

My Google Pixel was failing 25-50% of the time, but then I disabled the default battery optimization on the Tesla app and now it's working 100% of the time. Give that a try and see if it fixes. Theoretically this fix will help for anyone on Android v6 (Marshmallow) or newer.

Instructions here:
    Android users: phone-as-key FIX

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  5. SDKoala

SDKoala 3 LR RWD

I also have a Pixel and tried again to disable the battery optimization since you've been touting it so much for the past few days. (This was one of the first things I did when I realized the phone and car weren't playing well together.) I even did a factory reset to start brand new. I'm not getting anywhere close to 100%. I'm getting prompted to use the key card probably about 1 out of every 5 times if i'm not using my Tasker workaround.

6. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

what's the Tasker workaround?

Are you also connecting your phone to the car for music (A2DP)? Does that work flawlessly even when BLE doesn't?

I assume you've ruled out signal loss from being in a pocket?

7. SDKoala

SDKoala 3 LR RWD

Android phone key work around with Tasker?

You've must not be following all the different phone key threads as I've done as much posting on this as anyone else over the past few weeks.

8. slipnslider

slipnslider Member

Your car should not determine your phone. That is not "innovation." Where's the BRING BACK THE FOB petition?

• Like x 2
  9. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

caught up now.

Interesting. It's been about 5years since I felt like I needed Tasker. I redownloaded it last week to set up a recurring Airplane mode toggle to workaround the BLE disconnection problems. I was going to exempt the task when A2DP connection was established so it doesn't cut my phone's music stream. I may still set that up if I start to see disconnections again. Wonder what's the difference between our phones.

10. mwenn1

mwenn1 Member

have had no issues with my Pixel 2 XL

11. pipplo

pipplo Member

I had issues with my Pixel 2. But it's much more reliable if I don't have my other Bluetooth LE device (fitbit versa) connected. So for me it seems to be high 90s-100% with no versa attached and battery optimization disabled.

12. SDKoala

SDKoala 3 LR RWD

Yep, I hadn't used Tasker in about 3-4 years also, or whenever priority notifications / do not disturb was built in to Lollipop. I might try automatically toggling airplane mode to reconnect after walking out of Bluetooth range since toggling Bluetooth alone isn't cutting it. There'd have exclusion for talking on the phone and other things I can't think of right now.

13. ranova

ranova Member

worked 99% of the time on my Galaxy S8.

I did do the stuff to not battery optimize the app

• Like x 1
  14. Pkmmte

Pkmmte Le meow

My Pixel XL (Android Oreo) has worked exactly 100% of the time. I also tried using my Nexus 6P, LG G5, LG G4, and LG G3 a few times (5 to 15 times each) as a test and it worked perfectly each time. It also works well on my iPhone 7 Plus.

Meanwhile, my boss has a Pixel 2 XL (also Android Oreo) which fails most of the time on his Model 3. I really think it has more to do with the car than the phone.

15. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

An Android phone that works 99% of the time is called an iPhone...

• Funny x 2
  16. karmamule

karmamule Member

That joke may have had some merit a few years ago, but as a gadget fan who has had 2 lines, one Android and one iPhone for the last few years I don't think it's true any more. (My two current phones are a Galaxy S9+ and iPhone X) In my experience the number of oddities and quirks on my iPhones have increased and Android has steadily improved to the point they feel close to parity.

• Like x 1
  17. SDKoala

SDKoala 3 LR RWD

But according to some people here, there's no way it can be the car and it has to be our phones...

18. Henchman

Henchman Member

Galaxy 8 99%

19. Fallenone

Fallenone Active Member

I'm using Google Pixel and it works 90% of the time. It was working 100% the time before the recent Tesla mobile app update. Then stopped working entirely until I re-paired it. Then worked maybe 50% of the time but has been steadily picking up.