Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

List of confirmed Australian Orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do we know how many other Melbourne delivery cars are in production/in transit?

I wonder whether or not they'll ship them to Melbourne via ship, or Sydney then road transport them? So many questions!

Matta

I think they'll handle Melbourne via the Sydney DC and truck them down. I'm loathing the days when you'll all have your cars and us WA folks will be waiting for the train to pull into station. Anyone know a tracking app for the freight trains? ; )

This reminds me of Christmas when I was a young boy. The anticipation of a wonderful Christmas present is killing me.
If the car arrives before Christmas then my next tank of petrol will be my last - for ever. What a wonderful thought.

I'm about to fill my car with diesel for the last time and I'm very much looking forward to it! :)

This reminds me of Christmas when I was a young boy. The anticipation of a wonderful Christmas present is killing me.
If the car arrives before Christmas then my next tank of petrol will be my last - for ever. What a wonderful thought.

I haven't anticipated anything like this in what must be several decades now, I hear you!

Now my Sydney christmas trip poses one of two problems. 1) Will I be able to do it in the car (we're driving the ice car at this stage) or 2) it'll be a loooong week if this thing is sitting at home in the garage while I'm away.

Big congrats Matta. I am laying money the ship won't sail until all the 'In Productions' are onboard.

I doubt there is 'a ship'. I'd be pretty sure that Tesla would just hand over the containers to a freight forwarding agency as they are filled and the agency would ship them whatever route suits. Some would come out of Oakland, some would be rail freighted or trucked to Long Beach before departure to Australia.

A lot of the ships transit Port of Tauranga or Port of Auckland in New Zealand. For those, the transit time from Oakland to Sydney via Tauranga/Auckland is exactly 25 days.

One of the regular vessels on the Oakland - Long Beach - Tauranga -Sydney route has cabins which you can book. For $4,700 you could actually accompany your Tesla all the way from Oakland to Sydney.

In 1999 I persuaded the MB dealer to tell me which ship my car was on from Germany.
Went down to White bay on the day it said it would arrive just in time to see a bunch of A160's drive off the ship including one in our colour of ocean blue. Had that car until last year.
Would love to know what ship our car 'Sparki' is on!
Now that White Bay is closed does anyone know where they offload cars now. Port Botany I assume.

I've been lurking for ages, but should really get myself out of stealth mode and into the stats. :)

Username: dcasnowdon
State/Territor: NSW
City: Sydney
Obscured VIN: 466xx
Order Confirmed: 30th May, 2014
VIN Allocated: Unknown
Charger installed: August, 2014
In production: 4th November, 2014
In Transit: 7th November, 2014
Model: S85
Sig?: No
Colour: Steel grey
Roof: Solid
Wheels: 19" Standard
Interior: Black Leather
Decor: Piano black
Seats: S
Yacht floor: No
Super charger: yes
Dual chargers: yes
Tech: yes
Air: no
Parking: yes
Fog: yes (with new tech)
Sound: no
Ext leather: no
Alcantara: no
Lighting: no
Parcel: now included

Profession: hardware/software engineer (CTO at a startup)

Welcome dcasnowdon. Great specs, very similar to mine, which is obviously why I think they're great ; ) Interested to finally see somebody else who didn't take the air suspension. What was your reason?

I also didn't have the air suspension before I cancelled my order - also with the 19" wheels. Apart from price, my justification was that the ride on 19"s was already supposed to be fairly squishy compared with the harder 21"s, and coming from a smaller, sportier car (currently driving an Audi S3 Sedan), I didn't want to totally lose the feeling of connection to the road going to a larger saloon-style car. Presumably also the coil suspension would be easier to service and have less parts to break.

Welcome dcasnowdon. Great specs, very similar to mine, which is obviously why I think they're great ; ) Interested to finally see somebody else who didn't take the air suspension. What was your reason?

Thanks! Air suspension -- Just the extra dollars for a feature that I didn't think would really give me a huge amount. Air suspension was in the "nice to have" category!