Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lithium 12v battery upgrade question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The difference in weight isn't noticeable in acceleration, cornering, efficiency, etc. even with careful measurement. Not to say it does nothing, just that it would have to be one of a long list of other expensive weight reductions.

They haven't been in use in Model 3 long enough to really tell if they last longer and meet all claims.

Could be a downgrade in cold weather as unlike an ICE vehicle, there's nothing nearby to warm it much.

IIRC they've sold about 60 of these ones specifically.

Has anyone done a comparison of MPP vs Ohmmu?

Haven't seen one myself, but the "MPP" one is actually EarthX (plus MPP's custom hardware to mount it). EarthX appears to be a lot more well known outside the Tesla brand, whereas Ohmmu is pretty specific to Tesla it seems (that's where they started). You could interpret that either way - one company may have an established reputation elsewhere, and the other is benefiting of the Tesla hype train. On the other hand, maybe one has no idea what they're doing with Tesla specifically, so the Tesla-specific one is better.

That said, in practice and as mentioned earlier in the thread, the Ohmmu one specifically has an issue with recent Tesla firmware. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The difference in weight isn't noticeable in acceleration, cornering, efficiency, etc. even with careful measurement. Not to say it does nothing, just that it would have to be one of a long list of other expensive weight reductions.

They haven't been in use in Model 3 long enough to really tell if they last longer and meet all claims.

Could be a downgrade in cold weather as unlike an ICE vehicle, there's nothing nearby to warm it much.

IIRC they've sold about 60 of these ones specifically.
I installed an Ohmmu 12V Lithium battery on April 8th in my M3. I have nothing but good things to say about it. We live in Tucson, very hot climate and it is part of life that lead acid batteries last no more than 2 years. In early September after an OTA update I started receiving warnings that my battery needed to be changed soon. The warning is persistent and OTA update cannot be performed until a new battery is installed. The work around is to do a complete reset which involves disconnecting both the 12V and the HV supplies. Pain in the butt. I only do it when I get notified of an OTA update. Ohmmu is working on a fix and will replace all 12Vs with the fix in an exchange. Tesla seems to be ignoring the problem.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
I installed an Ohmmu 12V Lithium battery on April 8th in my M3. I have nothing but good things to say about it. We live in Tucson, very hot climate and it is part of life that lead acid batteries last no more than 2 years. In early September after an OTA update I started receiving warnings that my battery needed to be changed soon. The warning is persistent and OTA update cannot be performed until a new battery is installed. The work around is to do a complete reset which involves disconnecting both the 12V and the HV supplies. Pain in the butt. I only do it when I get notified of an OTA update. Ohmmu is working on a fix and will replace all 12Vs with the fix in an exchange. Tesla seems to be ignoring the problem.

Everything else you said is fine, but the part I bolded. The error you are experiencing is not a TESLA problem. People with the battery that comes OEM in tesla model 3s are not experiencing a problem, so its not a Tesla problem. Its a problem that Ohmmu needs to address, and all reports are, they are working on it.

Tesla changed something (obviously) but that doesnt make it a "Tesla" problem, unless what they changed also doesnt work with their battery. Ohmmu should see if tesla has some sort of a process for third parties to become "certified" equipment in their cars or something. If that happens, THEN it would be a tesla problem.

ohmmu have been in talks with some folks at tesla who are over the charging system. this , coupled with the fact ohmmu have model 3 to get data from, have found out a way to work with the tesla charging system. ohmmu have been doing what they can and have been , as far as i am concerned, proactive in finding a solution. the end result is new , better batteries to work with the new updates telsa made to their charging algorithms.

the ohmmu battery has met and exceeded my expectations, and whilst the battery triangle error can be a super small irritant, i still prefer to have that battery in there rather than a lead battery in this 100+ degree heat in cali off late.

i also dont think its a "tesla problem" , just a growing pain. i bet ohmmu have learned a LOT about the system in model 3 and this can only be a good thing.

ohmmu have been in talks with some folks at tesla who are over the charging system. this , coupled with the fact ohmmu have model 3 to get data from, have found out a way to work with the tesla charging system. ohmmu have been doing what they can and have been , as far as i am concerned, proactive in finding a solution. the end result is new , better batteries to work with the new updates telsa made to their charging algorithms.

the ohmmu battery has met and exceeded my expectations, and whilst the battery triangle error can be a super small irritant, i still prefer to have that battery in there rather than a lead battery in this 100+ degree heat in cali off late.

i also dont think its a "tesla problem" , just a growing pain. i bet ohmmu have learned a LOT about the system in model 3 and this can only be a good thing.

Do you notice better sound with the Ohmmu?

Reactions: lUtriaNt
I can't speak to any improvements in the sound system, but we have had only one customer get the message, which was resolved with a hard reset. We chose EarthX due to their great reputation, and of course, the fact that they are designed and manufactured in the USA (Colorado specifically). Their popularity in the aircraft world certainly gives us some confidence in the quality as well! We are not the cheapest option because of these factors, but this is pretty much how it goes with all our parts as we are unwilling to outsource, aside from KW Germany making our suspension.

With the renewed focus on the 12V battery by Tesla, I am wondering if there will be software updates that make it difficult for different battery types. I would assume they would be programming for the Lead-acid battery chemistry. (Charge, discharge limits, cycle life, cold amperage limits, etc..) All of which will be different with Li-Ion