Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

London TfL Congestion Charge / AutoPay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator comment - similar thread merged from "London Congestion Charge"

Just did my first trip into the congestion charge zone with my new M3. I assume I don’t have to pay anything as it is an electric car? I wanted to see whether I had anything to pay on the tfl page but they couldn’t even find details for the car as it was only registered yesterday.

With electric cars, do you have to do anything or can you basically just ignore the congestion charge zone?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there are 2 charges.One is congestion charge, for which you get no rebate unless the person owning the vehicle has a blue badge which you can then register and get exemption. The other is the ultra low emissions charge for which you are exempt as an EV if you register and pay 10 pounds per year.

Just did my first trip into the congestion charge zone with my new M3. I assume I don’t have to pay anything as it is an electric car? I wanted to see whether I had anything to pay on the tfl page but they couldn’t even find details for the car as it was only registered yesterday.

With electric cars, do you have to do anything or can you basically just ignore the congestion charge zone?
Make sure you pay for the journey you've already done! (Or otherwise contact TfL to make sure you don't get a fine for *not* paying)

Moderator comment - similar thread merged from "Model 3 and congestion charge"

Hi

I need to go into London at about 6pm tomorrow, and it will be a one off I don’t intend to do it again.

I have tried calling them but they are shut.

what do I need to do for this one off journey?

the car is leased.

I could make the journey after 10pm if it’s easier with the paperwork.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to do the same a day after I've picked up my Model 3. The system did not recognise the registration number yet so I was not able to apply for the EV discount (£10/year) as I don't have the V5C either - leased car.
Ended up paying £17.50 but created a support ticket, hoping to convert that charge to the EV discount.

I recently acquired a Model 3. I already have a TFL account having had a Renault Zoe. I logged on today to add the Tesla. the car is correctly identified but shown as liable to the congestion charge. This cannot be right; has anyone had the same experience?